`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Who gets your vote?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Barry Bonds
14.78%
17 14.78%
Roger Clemens
12.17%
14 12.17%
Todd Helton
6.96%
8 6.96%
Derek Jeter
28.70%
33 28.70%
Andruw Jones
0.87%
1 0.87%
Manny Ramirez
6.96%
8 6.96%
Curt Schilling
9.57%
11 9.57%
Gary Sheffield
3.48%
4 3.48%
Omar Vizquel
6.09%
7 6.09%
Larry Walker
10.43%
12 10.43%
Total 115 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Hall of Fame Ballot

RE: 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot
I wanted to check Bonds but still not able to. Getting closer. Jeter for sure.

Jeter
Manny
Barry

I'm over the whole PED thing, but still not thinking Clemens yet ... my problem with him goes way beyond the PED scandal
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-19-2019, 09:46 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'm over the whole PED thing, but still not thinking Clemens yet ... my problem with him goes way beyond the PED scandal
Oh, oh...trouble with the former Yankee! I don't recall anything special about his story with the team. Can you elaborate on this or would you rather forget?

Piazza?
(11-19-2019, 09:46 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Jeter
Manny
Barry

I'm over the whole PED thing, but still not thinking Clemens yet ... my problem with him goes way beyond the PED scandal
I think I am too - if I had a real vote I would probably put Bonds on my list.

Scott

(11-19-2019, 10:35 AM)garrisc Wrote: Piazza?

I think I am too - if I had a real vote I would probably put Bonds on my list.

Scott
Yes, Scott, Piazza was one thing. Although a former Red Sox player throwing at a Mets player could be seen as entertaining by some, I thought it was excessive and not something a Yankee should ever do. The other thing that always stuck in my craw all these years ... at 40 years old, Roger announces his retirement and Yankees bid him farewell ... 2 months later he signs with Houston! Has another good couple of seasons ( Cy Young Award ... so okay, GREAT SEASON) But that was deceptive ... he could have told the Yankees he wanted to go there and set up a trade. The Yankees pitching staff in 2008 were left short handed and nothing to show for losing a CYA winner. Retired? Yeah, right!
He knew exactly what he was doing... went to Houston, Astros didn't lose anyone of value ...
He knew exactly what he was doing ... when he hurled that broken bat at Piazza.
He knew exactly what he was doing when he took steroids.
In all three instances he was like 'whaaaaat? Me? I'm innocent? I didn't do anything wrong" BS ... I guess I don't like his character no matter what uniform he wore.
Great pitcher, but not a honorable player.
Wow ... sorry for unloading my Clemens rant on Mark's thread ... sorry, Man!
Bonds was a great HOF ball player for the Giants and even better HOF'er for the Pirates. He saw his peers taking 'roids, jacking homers and getting bigger contracts. He took them, bulked up, bashed better than the rest and made big bucks. It was a 'proliferation of arms' to stay competitive with all these other steroid users during a time when it wasn't totally 'illegal' in baseball ... the Commish turned a blind eye to it when Sosa and Big Mack were putting fans in the seats ... I blame Bud for the whole PED-thing. He should have stepped in sooner, but it was 'good' for attendance so he ignored it until Canseco's book came out and exposed the whole debacle. Bonds! Heck yeah ... gets my vote.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-20-2019, 12:25 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Wow ... sorry for unloading my Clemens rant on Mark's thread ... sorry, Man!
It's alright. I enjoyed the read. Clemens was no doubt a hot head and a bit of an *****. He went WAY over the top with the Piazza incident and I lost all respect for him then. It wasn't like Piazza tried to break his bat and impale Clemens with a flying piece. I honestly never thought of him leaving NY with nothing to show for it but memories. I thought when the Marlins saluted him during his "final appearance" in the 2003 World Series that was a classy act on their part, but then he came back. That bothered me. As a Red Sox fan, I loved to see him take the mound early in his career and picked up the complete 1984 Fleer Update set in 1985 just to get his rookie card. That turned out to be a pretty good $25 investment.

I'd still put him in the Hall though for all he accomplished between the foul lines. He wouldn't be the only jerk enshrined.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-20-2019, 08:22 AM)zeprock Wrote: It's alright. I enjoyed the read. Clemens was no doubt a hot head and a bit of an *****. He went WAY over the top with the Piazza incident and I lost all respect for him then. It wasn't like Piazza tried to break his bat and impale Clemens with a flying piece. I honestly never thought of him leaving NY with nothing to show for it but memories.
I'd still put him in the Hall though for all he accomplished between the foul lines. He wouldn't be the only jerk enshrined.
Thanks, glad I didn't overstep in your thread!

From what I remember, Piazza was chill over the whole incident... considering the situation ... but if I were Piazza, the next time Clemens came to the plate the pitches would have been at his head!

True, Clemens was an amazing pitcher, can't take that away from him ...
and also true about not potentially being the only jerk in the HOF ... maybe they should have a Jerk Wing in the HOF and Roger can be the first new inductee? LOL
Now, Barry Bonds (at least to me and my age-tainted memory ) never had the 'jerk-factor' and seemed professional throughout his career. That's why I'm cool with Bonds getting in and keeping Roger out ... at least this year.

Jeter
Schilling
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

(11-18-2019, 07:54 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: My political soapbox, love it or hate it:

Since when did opinions become evil?! Shame on those who try to silence others that dare to express beliefs and feelings.

Some day I expect guys in suits to appear at my door and ask me why I avoid certain shows or movies that Hollywood tries to shove down our throats. Schilling has an American right to disagree with the mainstream that has gone berserk.
Thank you!