`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 Days to Purge PC - what would you do?

30 Days to Purge PC - what would you do?
Just for fun, post what you would do if you had 30 days to purge your entire hobby collection. It could be for health reasons, getting divorced, moving to a tiny house, tired of the time it takes, whatever...

But, you only have 30 days. Go!!

My answer is to go to the very next card show in Minneapolis and carry a sign out front of the entrance that says "Selling my entire collection for dirt cheap".

RE: 30 Days to Purge PC - what would you do?
Oy vey. I'm stressing out just thinking about it. I'd probably do something similar. It seems like it would be the easiest thing.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I'd call a few of those guys that advertise in Beckett magazine and have them offer me quotes for a bulk sale! Probably be done with 20 days to spare! Smile
Of course that's not the best way to maximize your money, but it certainly would expedite things if time was the limiting factor in the deal!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I think I'd just put every card on ebay for a starting bid of 99 cents and let the market decide my total cash outcome.

(09-29-2019, 10:01 AM)btrav13 Wrote: I think I'd just put every card on ebay for a starting bid of 99 cents and let the market decide my total cash outcome.
Ha, that sounds like a 12-month plan!

I would have to take off of work to even come close to clearing everything out in 30 days. I would definitely start with some Facebook fire sales, take a bunch to my LCS, and probably call a big auction house or two for some of the higher end memorabilia pieces.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-29-2019, 11:40 AM)djohn Wrote: I would have to take off of work to even come close to clearing everything out in 30 days. I would definitely start with some Facebook fire sales, take a bunch to my LCS, and probably call a big auction house or two for some of the higher end memorabilia pieces.
Baseball cards: I'm not sure I have anything "auction house worthy" unless I put up my Trout collection as a lot.

Baseball Memorabilia wasn't part of the parameter for the 30 day purge, but if need be, most of my memorabilia isn't "auction house worthy" either. Sad I'd probably just have to include it in my fire sale to whichever buyer gives me the best price for the whole kit & caboodle. My Yankee Stadium chair will never be sold, in fact, if I could be buried sitting in that chair for eternity, then I'll take it to the grave with me. Smile

But yeah, likewise, in order for me to accomplish selling off the collection I'd need to be retired or take off from work for the month.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(09-29-2019, 10:18 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Ha, that sounds like a 12-month plan!
No, the auctions end at 7 days. Whatever got no bids would go to my LCS as "give me your best price today".

(09-29-2019, 12:20 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Baseball cards: I'm not sure I have anything "auction house worthy" unless I put up my Trout collection as a lot.

Baseball Memorabilia wasn't part of the parameter for the 30 day purge, but if need be, most of my memorabilia isn't "auction house worthy" either. Sad I'd probably just have to include it in my fire sale to whichever buyer gives me the best price for the whole kit & caboodle. My Yankee Stadium chair will never be sold, in fact, if I could be buried sitting in that chair for eternity, then I'll take it to the grave with me. Smile

But yeah, likewise, in order for me to accomplish selling off the collection I'd need to be retired or take off from work for the month.
I guess when I think of my "entire hobby collection" I think of everything including memorabilia. I also have some really cool and large mem pieces that would be the biggest burden to try and sell, and deal with shipping on, so I am not sure how I would go about selling those.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-30-2019, 12:25 AM)djohn Wrote: I guess when I think of my "entire hobby collection" I think of everything including memorabilia. I also have some really cool and large mem pieces that would be the biggest burden to try and sell, and deal with shipping on, so I am not sure how I would go about selling those.
Here in OKC we have a box store that sells literally hundreds of sizes of boxes. You'd just have to bubble wrap the hell out of them then get a suitable box. If it was something that would sell for a couple or few hundred dollars then doing free shipping, even it if cost you $20, would be worth it.