`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2001 SP Legendary Cuts Mickey Mantle gold bar card?

2001 SP Legendary Cuts Mickey Mantle gold bar card?
I fancy myself pretty good at finding what something is roughly worth but I can find nothing on this card. It's a 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Mickey Mantle #84 with a 100 mill 5 gram .999 fine gold bar. The base card without this in the middle is $1. So I'm hoping my buddy found something cool. Any info would be appreciated. Pic attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Mickey Mantle gold bar card?
Maybe the melt value of 5 grams of gold, plus the dollar for the card? If the card is a 1/1 then it would be significantly more than that ... but that might be a low end 'starting point'.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I am confused here, is this a gold bar that was added after release? I have never heard of the 2001 SP Legendary Cuts sets having a gold piece and I thought I knew the set pretty well.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

I don't think it was added after the fact. The base card I would assume is standard card size. This one is thick with the space built in to the card for the gold. Both my friend and I can find no other examples or literature on this being an option. He took a risk buying it but is hoping it was a great investment.

If it were an after the fact thing... someone is REALLY GOOD at making cards with gold lol.

(05-06-2019, 06:01 PM)Arbitem Wrote: I don't think it was added after the fact. The base card I would assume is standard card size. This one is thick with the space built in to the card for the gold. Both my friend and I can find no other examples or literature on this being an option. He took a risk buying it but is hoping it was a great investment.

If it were an after the fact thing... someone is REALLY GOOD at making cards with gold lol.
There are a bunch of card making/creating/customizing hobby enthusiasts. Buyer beware.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

A picture of the back might help.
Mattingly Collection.2503 different

I'm looking for Mattingly,Pujols,All Current
& Great Yankees,& HOFers in all Sports.
[Image: e1a26f5e-c283-43da-a60f-eb714950ec46_zpsa04dbf07.jpg]

Somebody made this card.Not part of the set

I'm thinking this is not an official release. My crazy guess is that some company made a bunch of these for direct sales, maybe even on some at-home shopping channel (Don West anyone?)

[Image: Don-West-Old-Wild-West-Deals.jpg]

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(05-11-2019, 10:59 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: I'm thinking this is not an official release. My crazy guess is that some company made a bunch of these for direct sales, maybe even on some at-home shopping channel (Don West anyone?)

[Image: Don-West-Old-Wild-West-Deals.jpg]
Oh man I used to love that guy ...

"Ball cards!!!"

And then the camera would do a close-up on it and you couldn't see anything because of the overhead set lights obliterating it.

"You mind tipping that up a little bit, Don?"

LOL

It is good to know that I am not missing something. But Don West, that man made the cheapest overproduced cardboard seem like pure gold. I am ready to call Shop At Home and give them my credit card.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona