`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Normal?????

Normal?????
So after waiting five years and NOT requesting a replacement for a Jim Rice auto, topps sends me a Jim Palmer auto strait up with no notice or explanation.
Normal?

RE: Normal?????
For Topps, it is 100 percent normal.

Over the years I'd say I actually get about half of the cards I'm supposed to.

Worst one ... back in the late 90s I got a box of Topps basketball from my grandparents, literally the last Christmas gift they ever gave me.

I actually pulled a redemption card for an Allen Iverson auto, and he is/was one of my all-time favorite players, so I was stoked.

Long story short, after a year and a half of emails, phone calls, and outright falsehoods - "he'll be here next week to sign the cards" - I got an "equal value replacement" of two scrub autos and three scrub jersey cards.

I immediately called Topps to voice my displeasure, and was told they considered the case closed.

Same with a DJ Augustin Chrome rookie auto redemption I pulled about 10 years later ... at the time it was a huge pull as he was one of the biggest names in that draft.

Waited and waited, finally was given a scrub veteran auto from a different product.

Then, in 2011, I bought a Bryce Harper rookie auto redemption on eBay ... they redeemed the card just fine, but I was horrified when I opened the package and the Harper card was sticking out about halfway out of the toploader ... no team bag, no tape, nothing to hold it in place.

Luckily there was enough of an air pocket in the bubble mailer that the card wasn't damaged, but for a $400 redemption I guess I expected better protection on it.

Then, flash forward to a couple of years ago ... was shorted the advertised hit in a Wal-Mart holiday retail box.

Waited about a month ... received a scrub auto and a scrub jersey card of two guys who weren't in MLB at the time or never made it.

To be fair, my most recent Topps redemption was a Rhys Hoskins auto out of Gypsy Queen retail last year, and they fulfilled it with the right card in about three weeks, so credit given there.

But the numbers of times they haven't come through versus how many they have has been way out of proportion for me.

Palmer vs. Rice is debatable as far as an equal replacement, but it would have been nice if they threw in an extra card or two or some packs to acknowledge your waiting time.

Topps is better than before, but not as good as they can or should be. Hopefully, we complain long and loud enough for them to get sick of us and fix the problem once and for all.
That being said, they're still better than Panini is now ... those point redemptions were set out to solve one problem and created a dozen more. I wish Panini goes back to redemptions!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-11-2019, 12:26 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Topps is better than before, but not as good as they can or should be. Hopefully, we complain long and loud enough for them to get sick of us and fix the problem once and for all.
That being said, they're still better than Panini is now ... those point redemptions were set out to solve one problem and created a dozen more. I wish Panini goes back to redemptions!
I actually don't mind the points redemptions in theory, as it lets you pick out what team or player you want versus being stuck with whatever you pull.

But two major ways they could improve this program ... make sure to include current product and eliminate the shipping fee.

I have been able to pick up many obscure/cool PC items through the points program.

Case in point ... when I was a kid I was a huge Detroit Pistons fan, so I was able to find a Vinnie Johnson jersey card ("The Microwave" for those of you that remember).

He just doesn't have a lot of cards produced these days, much less mem or auto cards.

But, I have a real issue with paying for shipping.

In general, though, I have found Panini to be waaaaay more reliable with fulfilling what you're supposed to get as far as regular redemptions.

They even redeemed an expired, on-card Kobe Bryant auto from a redemption that I pulled out of a Target mixer box of all things a few years back.

The redemption had been expired for a couple of years at the time that I pulled it, but their CS managers actually made sure I had the card within a week.

Yeah thats how they operate
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Seems like the best approach would to be not buy Topps.

As mentioned on another post, Topps has sent me my 6-month Topps Chrome redemption that will be my highest valued card. But, I requested a substitute for a Bowman High Tek redemption over 2 weeks ago and they still have not sent the replacement. I thought requesting a substitute would speed up the process!
(02-22-2019, 12:03 PM)wrm1107@roadrunner.co Wrote: Seems like the best approach would to be not buy Topps.
Over 35 years in this hobby and I have only purchase 1 year of Topps Series 1 or 2, and I was thoroughly disappointed with the results. Chrome or Gold Label is a better choice, though a bit more expensive.

(02-22-2019, 12:03 PM)wrm1107@roadrunner.co Wrote: Seems like the best approach would to be not buy Topps.
LOL, yes, true.