`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this 1976 Topps Walter Payton Card Miscut/Trimmed?

Is this 1976 Topps Walter Payton Card Miscut/Trimmed?
Hi all - I was wondering if you guys think this card is either miscut or trimmed, or am I just seeing things? I am not even sure these are correct terms so sorry in advance if I am using the incorrect terminology.

Please look on the left side of the card. It seems like the card gets a little wider as you move from the upper left part of the card to the lower left part of the card. At least it appears that way for me but my eyes may just be playing tricks on me. What do you guys think? If I am seeing this correctly, do you think the card was trimmed or do you think its just a factory miscut (if that's the correct term). I know Beckett didn't grade the card as altered but I've heard stories of them making mistakes on their grading before so I figured I would get your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Is this 1976 Topps Walter Payton Card Miscut/Trimmed?
Howdy and welcome to the forums! I would say this is a case of a bad picture that is distorting the actual dimensions of the card. While it's definitely possible that grades miss things from time to time it's hard to say for sure in this example.

Attached is the Payton run through an image editing program where I drew straight lines. You can see that the card isn't squared up at all. The label isn't for that matter either. This photo is an example of a fisheye effect or barrel distortion which is an unintended distortion of a picture.

If this is a card you are considering trading/buying, you should see if the owner can give you a scan of the card rather than a quick phone snap, which has also distorted the color to in my opinion. That BGS/BVG flip should be white.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the best thing would to is bust it out of the slab{it's only a 5.5} and measure it, that's the only way to know for sure.

I have a Mark Fidrych card that my grandpa got signed for me at a card show at the mall in Michigan back in the day, and it is 100% miscut, like, diagonally all the way around the card.

In fact, it doesn't even fit into a standard one touch, I had to find a wider screw down to put it into.

Point being, miscuts (especially back in the day) happen pretty frequently, it wouldn't surprise me.

I would assume that Beckett would have labeled it or rejected it as altered if that was the case.

It's still a legendary card, and I absolutely would not remove it from the slab.