`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2004 Skybox LE vs. 2004 Skybox LE Retail

2004 Skybox LE vs. 2004 Skybox LE Retail
I have had issues when trying to trade for the 2004 Skybox LE cards as they are supposed to be the die-cut version but others send me the retail version which is not die-cut and only 1/2 the value.

But, I am very surprised that a Beckett Marketplace seller made the same error when I received my order yesterday...30 cards, all retail version. I emailed them last night and am waiting for the response. Not only are the cards 1/2 the value but I do not want them.

Check it out for yourself by doing a search on this website: 2004 Skybox LE vs. 2004 Skybox LE Retail. Another reason to get annoyed by parallels, I guess.

RE: 2004 Skybox LE vs. 2004 Skybox LE Retail
I've had the same issue trying to get the non-retail version of those. The set that I have even more problems getting are 2007 Ultra. The difference between 2007 Ultra and 2007 Ultra Retail is subtle and don't even get me started on the Gold parallels of each of those. It's gotten to the point where I won't trade for them when I see them listed for trade because I always end up with the Retail versions.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I remember buying the 2004 SkyBox LE at retail thinking they were the same and that it was a bargain considering how expensive the hobby packs were. I hate when they make retail and hobby of the same exact product and make the cards different. I would rather they just included less cards in the retail packs so that the cost basis was the same. Plus it causes confusion, as some people don't realize that there was a difference or the difference is subtle enough that people don't notice it (2007 Ultra is a great example).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Ahhhh ... 2004 Skybox.

So check this out.

Back in the day there used to be a card shop in my area where I got to know the owner pretty well (and spent a fair amount of cash).

I traded in singles for wax all the time, and one day I saw that he had a box of 2004 Skybox.

I did a little bit of research on the product and saw that there was a set of 13 "draft pick autographs" that were seeded one per box.

No SPs, either, so all autos were inserted equally.

One of the players on the checklist was Albert Pujols, and I figured I would never get better odds on a Pujols auto than 1:13, so I traded a complete hand collated set of 2001 Topps Traded for his lone box of Skybox.

Lo and behold, guess what auto I pulled?

That is correct ... Albert Pujols!

So whenever someone mentions 2004 Skybox, I always drift back to that fond memory ...

That's a great memory of the 2004 Skybox and a great pull. The 2005 Absolute Memorabilia is another one that traders and sellers get wrong. 2005 Absolute Memorabilia has a foil from, where 2005 Absolute Memorabilia retail is plain card stock. Even after sending messages to traders to verify the correct version, I still get the wrong cards. I have traded half a dozen times for the #49 Renteria and gotten the retail version every time!

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(12-03-2018, 11:03 AM)scottzoe Wrote: The 2005 Absolute Memorabilia is another one that traders and sellers get wrong. 2005 Absolute Memorabilia has a foil from, where 2005 Absolute Memorabilia retail is plain card stock. Even after sending messages to traders to verify the correct version, I still get the wrong cards. I have traded half a dozen times for the #49 Renteria and gotten the retail version every time!

Scott
You got that right! I was actually guilty of this once when I first started trading and thought I had the better version when I sent some out in a trade. The recipient let me know and I immediately changed my ORG to reflect the retail version.

Why don't they put something on the back of the card, even if it just a letter after the card number?!

(12-03-2018, 11:03 AM)scottzoe Wrote: That's a great memory of the 2004 Skybox and a great pull. The 2005 Absolute Memorabilia is another one that traders and sellers get wrong. 2005 Absolute Memorabilia has a foil from, where 2005 Absolute Memorabilia retail is plain card stock. Even after sending messages to traders to verify the correct version, I still get the wrong cards. I have traded half a dozen times for the #49 Renteria and gotten the retail version every time!

Scott
That's another good example. I recently traded and received half a dozen retail versions of those when I thought I had traded for the regular 2005 Absolute Memorabilia cards. It's such a common mistake that I don't even bother to follow up anymore. I just list them for trade (as Retail).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The Beckett Marketplace seller made good on this error with me sending back the retail cards for a refund. They did not realize there is a difference, which is everyone's point that this needs to be fixed going forward in the hobby.

+1

I need Joe Nathan for my Twins set and have about 10 of the retail version. I have started to ask for a scan to see which one I am getting now.

(12-01-2018, 08:42 AM)zeprock Wrote: I've had the same issue trying to get the non-retail version of those. The set that I have even more problems getting are 2007 Ultra. The difference between 2007 Ultra and 2007 Ultra Retail is subtle and don't even get me started on the Gold parallels of each of those. It's gotten to the point where I won't trade for them when I see them listed for trade because I always end up with the Retail versions.