`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Panini Being Lazy with LeBron's First Lakers Cards?

Is Panini Being Lazy with LeBron's First Lakers Cards?
Friends,

I'm a huge LeBron James fan and collector.

So it goes without saying that I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of LeBron cards featuring him in his new Los Angeles Lakers uniform.

As of this writing the Lakers have played 16 games ... nearly 20 percent of their 82-game schedule ... and there are exactly ZERO LeBron Lakers cards.

(And no, I don't count the Panini Instant stuff. I'm talking cards you can pull out of packs.)

How is that even possible?

Four products have already been released - Hoops, Donruss, Certified and Prizm - and they all still have LeBron in a Cavs uniform.

I don't count Contenders Draft, because that's released way early.

But as for the rest of the products, for comparison, I took a look at two of last year's biggest names to change teams, Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward, and both were shown in their new Celtics uniforms in 2017-18 Donruss.

Donruss was released on November 15 last year.

Hayward signed with the Celtics on July 14.

Irving was traded to the Celtics on August 22.

Donruss was released on November 7 this year.

LeBron signed with the Lakers on July 9.

I can't think of a reason why LeBron would not be shown as a Laker at this point?

I mean, I know he left the country for a while after signing with L.A., but could we at least get an airbrushed shot like Panini did with some of the football players in its early products?

I have a feeling that if Panini had some competition they may have tried a little harder on this one.

I know Upper Deck would have done something with LeBron as a Laker if they still had an NBA license.

Come on, Panini!

RE: Is Panini Being Lazy with LeBron's First Lakers Cards?
It takes months after a product is sent out for production to actually see it in the packs so may be Jan before you see one of him in a Lakes uniform. Maybe if he had played some in the preseason it would have helped.

Agree. They could have just used photos from a press conference or photo shoot. Probably sell more products once everyone knows his first Laker card is in it.

(11-20-2018, 11:53 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: It takes months after a product is sent out for production to actually see it in the packs so may be Jan before you see one of him in a Lakes uniform. Maybe if he had played some in the preseason it would have helped.
That doesn't explain how Panini was able to get Irving and Hayward in their Celtics uniforms in Donruss last year. Irving didn't join the Celtics until August 22 but was show in his new uniform in a product that released November 15.

As I mentioned above.
(11-21-2018, 12:41 AM)francis in glendale Wrote: Agree. They could have just used photos from a press conference or photo shoot. Probably sell more products once everyone knows his first Laker card is in it.
Yep, and the opposite is true ... I have no reason to chase any other product until the first Lakers cards come out.

Don't they use photoshop to change jerseys on cards anyway, though? They could just put a Laker uniform on him from a picture from last year if they really wanted to.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

The Donruss Hayward and Irving were from a photo shoot last year. Prizm & Hoops were in Cavs & Jazz unis. My guess is since LeBron has a deal with UD, Panini could not get a private photo session with him. I don't know all the details of LeBron's contract with UD but I would guess that's probably the reason. Once Panini can get some in game photos you will see him as a Laker.

LeBron is finally wearing a Laker jersey in the Panini Black Friday cards

(11-22-2018, 09:58 AM)hempick Wrote: Don't they use photoshop to change jerseys on cards anyway, though? They could just put a Laker uniform on him from a picture from last year if they really wanted to.
Exactly.
(11-24-2018, 09:41 PM)francis in glendale Wrote: LeBron is finally wearing a Laker jersey in the Panini Black Friday cards
Right, and he's been in the Panini Instant stuff, too. But I'm talking regular packs in regular products that I could find at a regular store.
(11-22-2018, 09:29 PM)pjrussell529 Wrote: The Donruss Hayward and Irving were from a photo shoot last year. Prizm & Hoops were in Cavs & Jazz unis. My guess is since LeBron has a deal with UD, Panini could not get a private photo session with him. I don't know all the details of LeBron's contract with UD but I would guess that's probably the reason. Once Panini can get some in game photos you will see him as a Laker.
I assume he'll be a Laker in the next wave of releases, it's just disappointing that we're about 25% of the way through the season and there aren't any regular Lakers cards yet.