`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Don't Heff to Be Mad, This Goalie Fears Nothing But Bear in Forest!

You Don't Heff to Be Mad, This Goalie Fears Nothing But Bear in Forest!
Here is the other piece acquired in my trade with Mr. David Martell of Global Vintage Sports.

But before I start, don't forget to "LIKE" Bruce C. Goaltending Museum on Facebook if you love all things goaltending, and be sure to "FOLLOW" us on our rising Twitter page.

Born on June 22, 1980 in Togliatti, Russia, Ilya Bryzgalov was drafted 44th overall by Anaheim in the 2000 NHL draft as a standout young prospect in Russia. Ilya transitioned to the North American game in 2001-02 and took over the starting role for Anaheim's minor league affiliate in Cincinnati. He even made his NHL debut early on in the season, relieving Steve Shields in goal on October 8, 2001. In his 32 minutes of play against Toronto, Bryzgalov stopped 11 of 12 shots he faced in the team's 6-1 defeat. Bryzgalov did not appear in NHL action again until 2003-04, when he appeared in one additional game with Anaheim. After the 2004-05 lockout and the loss of back-up Martin Gerber to Carolina, Bryzgalov became the full-time support to JS Giguere in 2005-06. Recording solid numbers, Bryzgalov overtook the #1 position in time for the playoffs via strong play and three consecutive shutouts to end out the Calgary Flames series and to begin the first two games in the series against Colorado. Bryzgalov led the Mighty Ducks into the Conference Finals against Edmonton, but after three consecutive losses, Giguere took over in the hopes it would spark Anaheim's comeback....it did not. Relegated back to the back-up role in Anaheim the following season, Bryzgalov played behind Giguere en route to winning the franchise's first ever Stanley Cup against Ottawa. Bryzgalov began the following season with Anaheim, however, he was waived and acquired by the Phoenix Coyotes. There, he remained for four seasons and appeared in 257 games. He recorded career highs in games (69), wins (42), and shutouts (8) in 2009-10. He even led the team to the playoffs twice, though both years the Coyotes were eliminated in the first round by Detroit. In 2011-12, Bryzgalov was acquired by the Philadelphia Flyers and there he remained for two seasons. He even led the team to the semi-finals of the playoffs in 2011-12, though Philly was defeated in five games. In 2013-14, Byzgalov was signed as a free agent by the Edmonton Oilers. He appeared in 20 games for Edmonton before he was acquired by the Minnesota Wild late that same year. He led the Wild to the semi-finals before being defeated. In 2014-15 Anaheim signed Bryzgalov for a one year contract, however, he could not match his past success with the team, as he recorded a 4.19GAA and 0.847% save average in eight games. He was waived and released from his contract afterwards. He then retired from play.

What he is most known for beyond his competent play was his eccentric personality. His smiling and laughing during the 2006 Conference Finals during the national anthem annoyed Don Cherry but really got people to see his interesting temperament. He has many famous quotes. Referring to Chris Pronger: "it's only game, why you heff to be mad", referring to facing the Penguins in the playoffs: "I fear nothing, I'm afraid of bear in the forest", referring to the art on his goalie mask: "Darkwing Duck is a hero, as I am too", and also "I don't know what this is, I not order this...just duck". He seems like an excellent light-hearted person, a good break from overly serious people that seem to be overly abundant nowadays.

In his NHL career, Ilya Bryzgalov appeared in 465 games recording a 221-162-0-54 record with 37 shutouts, 11 assists, a 2.58GAA and a 0.912% save average. In 47 playoff games, he recorded a 20-25 record with four shutouts, a 2.78GAA, and a 0.905% save average.

What you are looking at right now is a 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers White Set 3 Jersey worn by Ilya Bryzgalov. It features many puck marks throughout and is a very nice jersey belonging to one of my favorite personalities of the game.

Acquired from: David Martell of Global Vintage Sports, includes Meigray LOA

Dates of Game Use:
February 3, 2014 v Buffalo (42-44, 3-2W)
February 7, 2014 v New Jersey (22-24, 2-1OTL)

Photomatched: Yes

[Image: bryzgalov1_zpsnp4tgmlq.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov2_zps5azjka5u.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov3_zps7akmhuu9.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov4_zpsqdhfmm4n.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov5_zpsjxib1ste.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov6_zpsgaos2dvj.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov7_zpsfzr3nnyv.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov8_zpsezq6uxdl.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov9_zpstqgrlvfr.jpg]

[Image: bryzgalov10_zpswltmseum.jpg]