`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are You a Super Collector?

Are You a Super Collector?
Sorry if I am taking over the Boards lately, but I need distractions here at my job that do not include numbers!

I have about a dozen PC players that I own at least 100 original cards of each, with 5 at least 200 original cards. This is obviously not considered a super collection, but in today's market I wonder how many of you can qualify or even keep it up.

Recently, the Canseco supercollector retired, and I have seen others with Mattingly, Trout (talk about expensive) and Votto.

I would never be a super collector because of the cost and time involved. Even if you pick a player like Alex Gordon, he may be affordable but searching for every card out there would be quite the deal.

Anyway, thanks for the read and let me know what you think.

RE: Are You a Super Collector?
For Drew Bledsoe, I'd say yes. I'm only missing some extremely rare stuff now and also possibly some newer issues because I haven't gotten anything of his that was issued after 2014. At last count, I have 1861 of his cards.

My other player collections don't even come nearly that close. 196 Aaron Judge cards. 184 Michael Jordan cards. 105 Barry Sanders cards. 84 Don Mattingly cards.

Unless I hit the lottery I doubt I'll ever start another PC because it is just too cost prohibitive.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I think that I am a Reggie Miller super collector. I haven't been getting much lately and my family takes up my time and money. Also my wife hates cards so can't really explain buying more cards. I use to collect around 20+ players and just couldn't do it. Now I still pick up Reggie Miller stuff, but also certain side PC collections.

I would consider myself a Super Collector of Jeremy Kerley in football. I add this in the baseball forum because he was a freakish talent in high school who could have been a special baseball player as well. I was fortunate enough to coach him in HS and speak at his JK Homecoming dinner/ceremony. A great guy who is a tremendous role model to so many kids in Central Texas, he is a superhero-like figure to my kids.

I don't super collect players, but I do try to collect all Topps Finest football cards while trying to build the 1999 Finest master set. The Prominent Figures and Team Finest Refractors are a real bear to try and track down. Not sure where the line is between having a big collection and super collecting though.

Never apologize for adding content to the boards, things have been beyond dead around here for months!!!

I have a few PCs based on places I've lived or gone to school, but as far as specific players I used to have pretty large collections of Barry Sanders, Vince Carter and Mike Trout.

I purged about 95 percent of my overall collection this summer but held on to some/most of the better cards of those guys, as well as some/most of the PC teams I collect.

Most everyone else though? Poof, gone!

(10-12-2018, 11:35 AM)mickey871 Wrote: I would consider myself a Super Collector of Jeremy Kerley in football. I add this in the baseball forum because he was a freakish talent in high school who could have been a special baseball player as well. I was fortunate enough to coach him in HS and speak at his JK Homecoming dinner/ceremony. A great guy who is a tremendous role model to so many kids in Central Texas, he is a superhero-like figure to my kids.
That is very cool! To collect someone because of a personal connection...nice!!

(10-12-2018, 12:20 PM)jplarson Wrote: Not sure where the line is between having a big collection and super collecting though.
Right. I figure that jumps out at me would be 1,000 or more of a player. Not sure if a type of card, such as Finest, would qualify. Hmmm...

(10-12-2018, 12:23 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Never apologize for adding content to the boards, things have been beyond dead around here for months!!!
Heheh. That's for sure. But, I keep remembering something my Mom always said...

If you cannot say something nice, at least say something to spark a debate. LOL

(10-12-2018, 10:29 AM)akaus Wrote: I think that I am a Reggie Miller super collector. I haven't been getting much lately and my family takes up my time and money. Also my wife hates cards so can't really explain buying more cards. I use to collect around 20+ players and just couldn't do it. Now I still pick up Reggie Miller stuff, but also certain side PC collections.
Are you still interested in finishing that trade you started?

Yes on the trade. The Foreman was in another deal so just waiting to hear back from the other trader. Thanks.

I am on the fence about calling myself a super-collector of certain players, as I know others have more, but I heavily collect Gary Carter and Ivan Rodriguez, and now to a lesser extent John Stockon and Karl Malone. Keeping up with all the new stuff and the amount of super-rare low numbered stuff definitely got me pulling back with how I collect these players.
The closest portion of my collection I would consider as a super-collector would be Jedd Gyorko, but I focused on only getting his rookie and pre-rookie cards (i.e. 2010-2013). Of the 419 cards from that time period that he has listed in Beckett I have 319 of them. Out of the remaining 100, 80 of them are 1/1s, 11 are numbered to 5 or less, 3 are numbered to 10, 1 numbered to 18, and 1 numbered to 25, and the pther 4 I have never seen one come up for sale (2 of which I question whether they even exist).
I have a few other concentrated super-collections I am working on, for some former UF player rookie year cards, as at least there is an end goal and the quantity of possible cards doesn't keep growing.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I think there are a few individuals that I would consider myself a super collector of with the first being Nolan Ryan. I have over 2100 different Nolans and, since he is in nearly every product release every year, there will always be cards of his that I will need.

A second would be Robin Yount. I just started concentrating on adding his cards to the collection within the last year or so and my unique card count just passed 400. He is another one who is regularly featured on new cards every year so this one, like the Nolan Ryans, will be a never-ending task.

The final two are more finite with the first being Jim Gantner, who plied the Brewer infield for 17 years from the mid-70's to the early-90's. I have managed to acquire 172 of 184 of his available cards with 5 of the 12 needs being 2018 Leaf ITG patch cards numbered to 7 or less. With the exception of those 2018 Leaf cards, there have been no new Gantners released since his coaching days with the Brewers in the mid-1990's so there remains the possibility that this one could be completed.

And, finally, the collection that really got me (and, at the time, my kid) into collecting again is our Jonathan Lucroy Brewers collection. Not counting any of the 1 of 1's available, of which we have 60, we have 579 of 589 possible Lucroys in a Brewers uniform. Of the 10 needs we have left: 2 are #/10, 4 are #/5, 2 are #/3 and 2 aren't numbered but have a pretty small print run (2014 Heritage Black Back and 2015 Heritage Blue Back). Like the Gantner collection, this one has a light at the end of the tunnel but it will not be easy to get there.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's