`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you beaten the odds before? OR Curious coincidences when collecting sports cards

Have you beaten the odds before? OR Curious coincidences when collecting sports cards
This topic isn't about the 1/1 Jay Cutler 2007 Bowman Chrome that I pulled a few years back. (My first one of one, though technically my girlfriend pulled it.)

It isn't about that Jordan/LeBron/Kobe autograph you pulled from a single pack from Walmart.

It isn't even about that time you pulled two autographs from a repack box at Kmart. (Side note: Kmart has REALLY gone downhill in terms of stocking sports cards, huh?)

This topic is about the fact that 10 months ago (October 19th, 2017 to be exact) from some free 2017 Topps Series 2 packs (remember those coupons on 2017 Topps Chrome value packs at Target?) I pulled a Camo parallel of Mike Clevinger #688.

Fast forward to today when I got two jumbo packs of Series 2 (that I bought because I needed them for my 2017 Topps set album) in the mail and I pull a Gold parallel /2017 out of each one. One of them being Mike Clevinger #688.

Of the 350 possible series two cards, I pull a low numbered and high numbered card of the same guy? A little freaky, imo.

How about this...?

On 10/27/17 and 12/11/17 I pulled Gold parallels /2017 from series 1 Topps of Fernando Rodney from packs bought at the same store (a Walmart in Florida).

Then, on 3/9/18 I pulled another Gold parallel /2017 of Fernando Rodney from a pack purchased on eBay (the seller was in New York state, iirc).

A little strange, huh?

Another one that happened today:

I mentioned that I got two jumbo packs of 2017 Series 2 Topps in the mail today. I did not mention that I also got one jumbo pack of Stadium Club from last year, as well. I pulled a Hunter Dozier rookie in each pack. 0_o There are 300 cards in the 2017 Stadium Club set and 350 cards in the Series 2 Topps set, but somehow I got one Dozier rookie in each pack?! Bizarre.

So, have you ever had any odd coincidences like those happen to you? If so, please share your story/stories!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Have you beaten the odds before? OR Curious coincidences when collecting sports cards
Not as odd as yours, but 2 years ago I purchased 10 Blasters of 2016 Panini Football. 3 of them had EXACTLY the same 60 cards, then another 2 exactly the same, then another 2 exactly the same. So, from a set of 300 cards (200 veterans, 100 rookies), after buying 600 cards in those 10 Blasters I only had 120+ of the veterans and many rookie dupes.

I mean, how did I get that many common boxes out of a group of 10 Blasters?

RE: Have you beaten the odds before? OR Curious coincidences when collecting sports cards
In 1988 (Canseco's MVP year) I bought a 1986 Topps Traded set for $10. When I got home, I opened the set and could see it looked like it came right from the factory. I went through the cards though and it wasn't a complete set. Was missing several cards, but had doubles of Canseco, Clark, Joyner, Bonds, Bo Jackson XRCs. Sold a Canseco and Bo and got me another set, this time complete.
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

(08-18-2018, 02:41 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Not as odd as yours, but 2 years ago I purchased 10 Blasters of 2016 Panini Football. 3 of them had EXACTLY the same 60 cards, then another 2 exactly the same, then another 2 exactly the same. So, from a set of 300 cards (200 veterans, 100 rookies), after buying 600 cards in those 10 Blasters I only had 120+ of the veterans and many rookie dupes.

Were they all from the same store or were they purchased at different places?

(08-18-2018, 03:04 PM)newtmcknz Wrote: In 1988 (Canseco's MVP year) I bought a 1986 Topps Traded set for $10. When I got home, I opened the set and could see it looked like it came right from the factory. I went through the cards though and it wasn't a complete set. Was missing several cards, but had doubles of Canseco, Clark, Joyner, Bonds, Bo Jackson XRCs. Sold a Canseco and Bo and got me another set, this time complete.
Hah, that's awesome!

(08-18-2018, 02:41 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Not as odd as yours, but 2 years ago I purchased 10 Blasters of 2016 Panini Football. 3 of them had EXACTLY the same 60 cards, then another 2 exactly the same, then another 2 exactly the same. So, from a set of 300 cards (200 veterans, 100 rookies), after buying 600 cards in those 10 Blasters I only had 120+ of the veterans and many rookie dupes.

Not as crazy but I bought 2 blasters of 2017 Donruss Optic and 3 of the packs from each were exactly the same, including the pink parallel cards.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

I bought all 10 Blasters at once from D & A.

Back in April of 2013 I bought one pack of Topps Series 1 at Toys R Us and then went to Target and bought one pack each of Topps Heritage and Topps Opening Day. From those three packs I pulled a Topps Derek Jeter, a Toys R Us Purple Jeter, an Opening Day Blue Jeter, a Topps Heritage Jeter and a Topps Heritage card featuring Jeter and Trout. 3 packs. 5 Jeters. I posted it here when that happened. I was fortunate it was Jeter and not a scrub player. I beat the odds that day.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

One day in 2011 at Target I decided to pick up a pack of Heritage. It was one of my favorite designs when I collected cards years ago. I pulled a (revisited 1962) Brooks Robinson auto.... WOW, that was awesome. I never knew there were auto cards and it was of a player I liked who was a highly respected Yankee enemy. Smile I got hooked into with card collecting after nearly a 20 year hiatus.
Flash forward to last year.
Financially, I was in a bad place ... I was getting disillusioned from card collecting and was thinking about quitting after a bad year of 2016 retail. I went to target and was at a point where I gave myself an ultimatum. I'm going to buy 1 blaster ... if it sucks, I'm quitting the hobby. I pull a (revisited 1968) Brooks Robinson auto. Definitely a sign from the card gods ... the rest of that year was a great retail year. But what are the odds of THAT?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

In 2015 I bought a few packs of Topps supreme. In one of the packs I pulled a Mariano Rivera auto /25. I did very well with this product, so I went and purchased a few more boxes. Again, I pulled a Mariano Rivera auto /25. I did purchased from the same place, but to pull 2 auto of the same player #25, which such a low number.

(08-19-2018, 06:22 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: One day in 2011 at Target I decided to pick up a pack of Heritage. It was one of my favorite designs when I collected cards years ago. I pulled a (revisited 1962) Brooks Robinson auto.... WOW, that was awesome. I never knew there were auto cards and it was of a player I liked who was a highly respected Yankee enemy. Smile I got hooked into with card collecting after nearly a 20 year hiatus.
Flash forward to last year.
Financially, I was in a bad place ... I was getting disillusioned from card collecting and was thinking about quitting after a bad year of 2016 retail. I went to target and was at a point where I gave myself an ultimatum. I'm going to buy 1 blaster ... if it sucks, I'm quitting the hobby. I pull a (revisited 1968) Brooks Robinson auto. Definitely a sign from the card gods ... the rest of that year was a great retail year. But what are the odds of THAT?
DANG! Now that is some amazing luck.

(08-19-2018, 07:00 PM)franciscomarina Wrote: In 2015 I bought a few packs of Topps supreme. In one of the packs I pulled a Mariano Rivera auto /25. I did very well with this product, so I went and purchased a few more boxes. Again, I pulled a Mariano Rivera auto /25. I did purchased from the same place, but to pull 2 auto of the same player #25, which such a low number.
That is pretty ridic. I managed 2 Blue Altuve autos /50 from Gallery last year from the same store. Not quit as rare, but still good.