`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nolan5000 (N5K)

Nolan5000 (N5K)
I was just thinking about an old, dearly departed board-buddy, Jason "Nolan5000" or as I liked to call him N5K. He was a huge Nolan Ryan Fanatic and I saw someone's banner today (rimcdonald?) and thought that Jason would have been "drooling like a Saint Bernard" (to quote Jason himself) over the Ryan Nameplate pictured there. (But only if they were BVG graded 9.5 or higher Smile )

Not sure if many who are around now knew the guy. He died a few years ago and every so often something comes up that has me thinking about him. BTW: regarding the comment about graded cards ... for those who didn't know him ... Jason was a little OCD about having nothing but the cream of the crop, 9.5-10 graded Nolan Ryan cards. Nothing else mattered. Laser focused, very dedicated collector ... he was easily provoked if you said anything disparaging about Nolan or The Rangers. He also would get his feathers ruffled if you happened to misspell or misuse a word. If I were to write a book, I'd have hired him to be my proofreader. Nothing slipped by the guy.

Anyway, sorry to boar you about N5K ....? Huh? what was that? Oh yeah, sorry Jason buddy ... its 'bore' not 'boar' LOL

Feel free to add any anecdotes you may have.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Nolan5000 (N5K)
I only know of the name from you and others talking about him when he passed away. I have been on this site about 5 years and have not yet met any collectors/traders in person, or even know what they look like (not that it matters). It is great that you remember him; too bad you cannot let his family know what impact he left even in his hobby.

I miss him as well. He even noticed a checklist back in the 70's that had Nolan Ryan on it and let me know right away that that card belong in my Ryan Collection. He was a good man and he is missed by all that knew him
RIP
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(08-04-2018, 12:18 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I only know of the name from you and others talking about him when he passed away. I have been on this site about 5 years and have not yet met any collectors/traders in person, or even know what they look like (not that it matters). It is great that you remember him; too bad you cannot let his family know what impact he left even in his hobby.
I'm sure it could be found out considering how good Internet detectives are these days. I'm not sure it would be appropriate, though.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(08-04-2018, 12:18 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I only know of the name from you and others talking about him when he passed away. I have been on this site about 5 years and have not yet met any collectors/traders in person, or even know what they look like (not that it matters). It is great that you remember him; too bad you cannot let his family know what impact he left even in his hobby.
(08-04-2018, 09:39 AM)hempick Wrote: I'm sure it could be found out considering how good Internet detectives are these days. I'm not sure it would be appropriate, though.
Yeah, could seem kind of weird and invasive after all this time. But IIRC, there was a rememberance page by the funeral home that was available to write to the family. I do recall putting something there, very brief and proper since we weren't actual 'face to face' friends.
I feel like I know several people here for a long time and think of them as friends (which they are) but not being more than internet buddies on a baseball card forum, well, my family might not regard them as actual friends since we never met in person. So far, after 7 years here, I only met one member in person. And it was a totally pleasant experience.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-04-2018, 01:57 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Yeah, could seem kind of weird and invasive after all this time. But IIRC, there was a rememberance page by the funeral home that was available to write to the family. I do recall putting something there, very brief and proper since we weren't actual 'face to face' friends.
I miss his posts too and occasionally search some of them out. I too left a short message on his memorial page when he passed. He and I had some great discussion off the boards via PMs. RIP Jason.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I remember him well, he was pretty active trader when I joined. Never had anything he wanted to trade with him though.
Is this thing on?

I remember him as well. Hate to hear he has passed. I know he would loved my banner. (I don't collect Nolan Ryan, but had to have those cards since my name is Ryan.)
Looking for Ryne Sandberg, Micah Gibbs, and Cubs Topps commons.
Now using paypal shipping so everyone will get a DC number and no more trips to P.O.!
[Image: Ryancards.jpg]

Nice DrM......he was a great guy once you got to know him. He was forever correcting my spelling and mis-use of words, but it became a little running joke between us, with me misspelling on purpose just to get him rallied up. All in good fun. He had an awesome collection and was very very knowledgeable. Could come off wrong until you got to know him and didn't hold anything back. Very helpful to many collectors.

There was a thread a couple of years ago where members posted their pictures, but I assume most of the pictures are probably gone now (along with the members). Nolan had a couple of pictures posted...little kid with Nolan Ryan and then one after his surgery if I remember correctly.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

The day after Verlander lost in the 9th inning what would have been his 3rd no hitter, he told me he was glad Verlander didn't get it because he didn't want him to catch Nolan Ryan, lol. I smile when I think about thatSmile

The guy seemed to have a positive outlook despite his circumstance.