Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to trading

New to trading
Hey all,
I'm getting back into the hobby after close to 25 years off. I'm really excited to be collecting again. I'm focusing on building my collection, and collecting some older cards of favorite players. I'm currently working on completing the Topps 2018 Heritage set and looking to trade for short prints. I have a bunch of other 2018 cards listed and some older cards from my collection (which I mostly sold off).

Question: I've made a few trade offers on the site, matching desired trade for/trade away lists, but have yet to get a response. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice for a an old newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks
freddybacon

RE: New to trading
Welcome to Beckett. Trading can be more successful if you make an open offer...ask for what you want but let the other pick what they want. Many do not check for trades every day so patience can help. Give it a couple weeks for the response. Also, you can check to see when someone last logged in as an Organize will stay active even if the collector no longer subscribes to the site (look at their profile). Finally, you should expect to send your cards first when a trade is accepted until a proven trusted trader. Good luck!

Welcome back to the hobby! GL
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

Welcome to the site! Look me up once you're ready to tradeSmile

(04-24-2018, 01:28 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Why does your Avatar name include "Must Send First" when you are just getting back to the hobby after all these years? That expectation is not going to sit well with veteran traders (like me) when dealing with a brand-new collector on the site.

There have been a lot of "stealing" cards in trades from Beckett newbies so I would think you would be willing to send your cards first until the trust is established...IMO.
I think that was put there by the mods to indicate 'he' must send first.

I think.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

(04-24-2018, 04:39 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: I think that was put there by the mods to indicate 'he' must send first.

I think.
Wow, I have never seen that if it is correct. Interesting either way!

(04-24-2018, 04:42 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Wow, I have never seen that if it is correct. Interesting either way!
It's in the user title area where yours says "member", mine says "new member" and others' say "Sr. member" and I don't think we have the ability to edit that -- I haven't seen a place to do that in user CP anyway, so I'm assuming its a new thing, I haven't seen it before either and I didn't have it a few months ago when I started.

I'm sure Floydtown could definitively answer this for us.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

(04-24-2018, 04:47 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: It's in the user title area where yours says "member", mine says "new member" and others' say "Sr. member" and I don't think we have the ability to edit that -- I haven't seen a place to do that in user CP anyway, so I'm assuming its a new thing, I haven't seen it before either and I didn't have it a few months ago when I started.

I'm sure Floydtown could definitively answer this for us.
Yeah, if he did put that there, it is a smart idea on behalf of Beckett. There have been way too many under-handed transactions on the site lately. I have been able to escape trouble so far but nobody is exempt.

(04-24-2018, 06:47 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Welcome to Beckett. Trading can be more successful if you make an open offer...ask for what you want but let the other pick what they want. Many do not check for trades every day so patience can help. Give it a couple weeks for the response. Also, you can check to see when someone last logged in as an Organize will stay active even if the collector no longer subscribes to the site (look at their profile). Finally, you should expect to send your cards first when a trade is accepted until a proven trusted trader. Good luck!

Thanks so much!

(04-24-2018, 04:39 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: I think that was put there by the mods to indicate 'he' must send first.

I think.
Yeah, I didn't put it there. At least not intentionally...