Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Collecting and Really lost

Back to Collecting and Really lost
Hey group,

I have been out of the collecting world for the past 15 years and have recently got back into it. It started when I stumbled across a group break on YouTube and once I understood what was going on it got the collecting juices flowing again. Since then I have had all these ideas ranging from starting my own group breaking site, to buying a case just for myself to open, to buying a few boxes of different things and seeing what I get. I have already purchased a few random cards with no rhyme or reason from ebay.

I really have no direction right now, in fact when I got the idea to get back into collecting I was planning on strictly collecting football cards, I had boxes picked out I was going to buy, started buying Zeke Elliott cards on eBay since he is my fav player and then out of nowhere I have this sudden change of mind and want baseball cards to be my main focus. In fact, I have bought (2) Trea Turner cards on eBay and have been doing a lot of research on the various brands of cards.

I almsot feel like I am overwhelmed at the moment and when I see something that someone else has or is collecting its like that is what I want to do. I watched a video of someone who said they PC Topps Triple Threads and I went out and bought some Triple Threads cards because that is what I want to do. I had no idea what Triple Threads was until I saw that video.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever gone through something like this and if it is a phase or what? I am so lost and don't want to waste anymore money on maybe something that I really don't want. I don't know if I want to just focus on one player, team, sport, brand....its like I just want everthing, LOL! I know this is long but I hope that someone had experienced this and can give me some advice! Thanks in advance!!

RE: Back to Collecting and Really lost
Welcome back to collecting. First of all set a budget or you will go broke. Try buying a few different boxes and see what you like. There is so many different things to collect like prospecting or collecting certain player or players, a team. Plenty of options.
I have been collecting for over 30 years and I do collect bowman products, heritage and vintage cards. Always buy a few high end products that gives me material to trade.
You can go through different YouTube videos of breaks and see if you find a product you may want to try. For high end products triple threads is one of my favorites, but like I said at the beginning, have a budget of how much you can spend on cards a month and go from there.

Thank you Francisco, appreciate the advice! You are definitely right, I really need to sit down and determine a budget. I can easily see how I can get out of control by just hitting buy now and using paypal!

Buy what you like. Not everyone has or needs a plan though. I collect Yankees cards, 99% of the time. 10yrs ago, I collected everything. It was what I liked at the time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being all over the place lol. If u want, make a budget, and stick to that. Still buy whatever, but stay in budget. Might make u realize when the budget is gone, that the card you paid $20 for, isn't what u really wanted and help you narrow your focus

Unlike franciscomarina or petersj, I collect what looks good to me. I don't really care who is on the card if I don't like the design or surface...so, I collect what is aesthetically appealing with Twins, Vikings, or other PC players I like on card designs I like. This keeps me from getting caught up in the hype of young prospects or boxes that everyone else is buying to chase hits of autos or memorabilia cards.

If you don't narrow it down you will spend thousands before you know it and have a bunch of stuff you don't really want to keep. Which only works if you regularly go to swap meets to sell!

Welcome back and welcome to the overwhelmed world of CADD ...Collectors Attention Deficit Disorder. Smile
I've been suffering with CADD since coming back to collecting in 2011. Smile
I still marvel at the focus and resolve others have displayed in their collection endeavors and I have attempted to do the same, but I'm easily distracted by some pretty new card designs, new prospects and new card releases. I've attempted to reign in my collection and attempted to focus, but I've done that over and over and always start getting too diverse.
Primarily, I'm a Yankee fan and collector, but since nearly everyone in Baseball has put on the pinstripes, I started off looking at collecting with a pretty wide angle lens. Smile
Not near any local comic shops, I collect nearly every product that hits retail. Target and Walmart, primarily. I collect autos, vintage, HOF, Yankees, prospects, specific players etc, etc. its all good, but overwhelming. If I wasn't responsible and didn't care about raising and feeding my family, I might go overboard. Smile So the best advice given so far by others, and I totally agree, is to budget yourself.
Good luck, and happy collecting.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I buy boxes and I buy singles
Mostly because my collection is probably the most diverse than anyone elses.
I collect rookie cards, star players, HOF players, autographs of everyone, and game used of everyone.
which is why I buy boxes

I buy singles of Mostly Nolan Ryan and 1909-11 T206 but my T206 is winding down only looking for 56 more

Unless I decide to go with the monster set of 7,000 cards which could be my next challenge I don't know contemplating if I really want to do that
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Wow!! Welcome back. Not everyone has the $$ or time for a complete collection of a team or player...so..as they said..set a budget and stick to it. I buy boxes to break and sell or trade for my PC..I may be able to buy the cards cheaper, but I love to break boxes and trade..

Have a great time and keep in mind..it is a hobby and should be fun...

Oh...and protect the cards you get for your collection..there are a lot of ways to do this..and many opinions..

IF you get any good Giants let me know..always looking to trade..

Happy New Year!!

My advice first and foremost is to pick a sport and stick to it. I used to collect all 4 major sports and it just got to be too much. I decided many years ago to stick with my favorite sport, baseball. That has helped but with so many different products out for each sport it still gets overwhelming at times. I've found myself the past couple weeks debating what I myself want to do going forward. It's tough for sure. I guess I would tell you to start by picking your favorite sport and then your favorite team/player in said sport. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Mike

Welcome back to collecting! Like others have posted....the most important thing is to have a budget and sticking with it. Good luck with that....LOL. With so many options, try not to get caught up in keeping up with the Jones's and buying everything. Collect what you like. I think group breaks are great for team and individual player collectors and is a good way to get one's feet wet.. There may be particular sets you want to collect either new or vintage, so take advantage of the trade option here.....great group of people here who are knowledgeable so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Most important, have fun! Best of luck to you.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.