`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Who's deserving of the MVP right now?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Brady
25.00%
2 25.00%
Rodgers
0%
0 0%
Wentz
37.50%
3 37.50%
Brown
12.50%
1 12.50%
Bell
0%
0 0%
Watt
0%
0 0%
Case Keenum
12.50%
1 12.50%
Tyron Smith, LT
0%
0 0%
Injured and off the field shouldn't be considered
0%
0 0%
other
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be the NFL MVP?

Who should be the NFL MVP?
Lot's goes into it of course, and only the sexy positions ever get a chance. Usually a QB, but sometimes a RB and WR can get some love. I think cases can be made for Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell. Definitely the two best at their positions. But what about other considerations? Should players with injuries be considered if it impacts their team to the extent of success vs failure? Does someone like Rodgers, or Wentz, deserve to be in the conversation? What about J.J. Watt and what he did for the hurricane victims? Is it only about on the field, or off the field as well in your opinions?

RE: Who should be the NFL MVP?
(12-16-2017, 11:20 AM)savagenate Wrote: Lot's goes into it of course, and only the sexy positions ever get a chance. Usually a QB, but sometimes a RB and WR can get some love. I think cases can be made for Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell. Definitely the two best at their positions. But what about other considerations? Should players with injuries be considered if it impacts their team to the extent of success vs failure? Does someone like Rodgers, or Wentz, deserve to be in the conversation? What about J.J. Watt and what he did for the hurricane victims? Is it only about on the field, or off the field as well in your opinions?
I agree with you that anyone other than a QB or RB will have a difficult time getting the award, though many have deserved consideration over the years. How many times have we seen an offense avoid throwing toward a cornerback or running toward a defensive end to avoid them! Or, how many times has a team won close games because they have a kicker that leads the league in FGs made.
So, if we stick to status quo, I suppose the same player that most people attribute to wins will win the MVP, which will be Brady or Roethlisberger or Brees, depending on which team makes the Super Bowl. Though great players, Wentz, Watson, and Rodgers should not get the votes while being on the bench, IMO.
I may be biased (of course, I am!) but if my Vikes make it with a 3rd string QB and a 2nd string RB, then the MVP should go to the entire Vikes defense. LOL

RE: Who should be the NFL MVP?
Since 1989, only 4 players were voted MVP or co-MVP and played in 14 or fewer games:

2003 - Steve McNair 14 games
2000 - Marshall Faulk 14 games
1993 - Emmitt Smith 14 games
1989 - Joe Montana 13 games

That would put Rodgers and Watt out of the game as well as Smith. For a lineman to win MVP they'd have to have perfect attendance. Wentz is highly borderline with only 13 games to his credit.

I'm a big fan of Le'Veon Bell but his rushing yardage comes from a ton of attempts, a 3.9 YPC isn't all that valuable. Brady is doing his usual Brady things but of the listed I think Brown may capture it this year. He may top his career best in yardage and has been nigh unstoppable with only two games held under 60 yards catching (keep in mind averaging 62.5 yards will get 1,000 on the season). He's averaging 116 yards per game at this point and given his past heroics I think voters decide to give him an MVP.

I think Case Keenum nabs a comeback player of the year award.