`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Public Service Message: Stay Away From 2017 Elite Blasters

RE: Public Service Message: Stay Away From 2017 Elite Blasters
Normally I buy retail mainly just for rookies, stuff like the base Panini and Score, rather than trying to get lucky with a rare patch or auto card. Also, I can't remember the last time I opened a blaster that guarantees "1 auto or patch card" and actually got an autograph. But nonetheless, a product costing $30 for 20 cards should be yielding better than that. Oddly, I've actually had fairly good luck with the $10 Elite Draft Picks jumbo packs. I believe I've hit 2 autos in 4 packs (unfortunately commons) as well as Fournette, McCaffrey, Ross and a couple other top rookies.

(07-18-2017, 05:26 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Well, uh, er, you know what I mean ... "next Trout" and what not ... but he's still young.

Gotta start hitting though!

I have no problem with one company making all the cards ... Upper Deck does a great job with hockey and I generally get good value out of their retail stuff, like an Auston Matthews Young Gun in my first jumbo pack this year.

But when a company charges $30 for 20 cards, I expect better than a Pro Bowl jersey card of a defensive lineman as my best pull.
I had absolutely zero luck getting an Auston Matthews Young Gun this year out of retail - got some good cards though - but the first Series 2 Blaster I got had a Matthews OPC Update and a Patrik Laine YG - later, I also got a Matthews OPC Update Silver Parallel (guess they call it rainbow) and a Mitch Marner YG. Go figure, Series 2 was awesome for me.
(08-18-2017, 05:25 AM)semperbm1463 Wrote: Normally I buy retail mainly just for rookies, stuff like the base Panini and Score, rather than trying to get lucky with a rare patch or auto card. Also, I can't remember the last time I opened a blaster that guarantees "1 auto or patch card" and actually got an autograph. But nonetheless, a product costing $30 for 20 cards should be yielding better than that. Oddly, I've actually had fairly good luck with the $10 Elite Draft Picks jumbo packs. I believe I've hit 2 autos in 4 packs (unfortunately commons) as well as Fournette, McCaffrey, Ross and a couple other top rookies.
I believe the last time I got a blaster that had 1 "auto or patch" card per box that actually had an autograph card was 2011 Press Pass Legends Football!

I've never ever gotten a Panini Blaster that promises "1 auto or memorabilia card per box" that didn't have a single 1 color unnumbered memorabilia card.

(08-18-2017, 09:40 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I had absolutely zero luck getting an Auston Matthews Young Gun this year out of retail - got some good cards though - but the first Series 2 Blaster I got had a Matthews OPC Update and a Patrik Laine YG - later, I also got a Matthews OPC Update Silver Parallel (guess they call it rainbow) and a Mitch Marner YG. Go figure, Series 2 was awesome for me.

I believe the last time I got a blaster that had 1 "auto or patch" card per box that actually had an autograph card was 2011 Press Pass Legends Football!

I've never ever gotten a Panini Blaster that promises "1 auto or memorabilia card per box" that didn't have a single 1 color unnumbered memorabilia card.
The funny thing is, after I posted this, against my better judgement I bought one more ... pulled a Jarrad Davis RC (Lions PC) and a pretty sweet John Riggins/Clinton Portis jersey card, so it was the first box I was happy with.

And yes, UD hockey has always been the best to me retail wise, which is funny considering that I buy maybe 2-3 blasters per year.

(08-24-2017, 10:02 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: The funny thing is, after I posted this, against my better judgement I bought one more ... pulled a Jarrad Davis RC (Lions PC) and a pretty sweet John Riggins/Clinton Portis jersey card, so it was the first box I was happy with.

And yes, UD hockey has always been the best to me retail wise, which is funny considering that I buy maybe 2-3 blasters per year.
UD Hockey may well have the problem where they don't have enough good things in hobby.

I pretty much only get Panini retail to take a look at products in deciding whether to get a hobby box - Panini pretty much requires you to get hobby in football - only COntenders Draft Picks with their retail exclusive short prints really has much - and personally, I think that only exists because Leaf and Sage are still making football cards offering retail consumers autograph cards. If Leaf and Sage went away, I suspect that Panini wouldn't offer any retail products at the $20 level with guaranteed autograph cards

(08-24-2017, 03:32 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: UD Hockey may well have the problem where they don't have enough good things in hobby.

I pretty much only get Panini retail to take a look at products in deciding whether to get a hobby box - Panini pretty much requires you to get hobby in football - only COntenders Draft Picks with their retail exclusive short prints really has much - and personally, I think that only exists because Leaf and Sage are still making football cards offering retail consumers autograph cards. If Leaf and Sage went away, I suspect that Panini wouldn't offer any retail products at the $20 level with guaranteed autograph cards
I do like their hobby-ish products, like Longevity football and Prestige basketball a couple of years ago ... I pulled a LeBron 1/1 base card and a Kristaps Porzingis auto that year, as well as a LeBron "Kaboom" insert out of Excalibur the year before. I was astonished at the book value on that one!