Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf using fake patches?
Music 
Leaf using fake patches?
So, huge Phillies guy here and I came across this 2016 Leaf card featuring prospect Kevin Gowdy -

[Image: s-l500.jpg]

the issue is the patch is from the final year of Veterans Stadium in 2003. How could Gowdy have worn this patch? Seems totally bogus and really has soured me on any game used items from the card companies.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

RE: Leaf using fake patches?
It's easy actually. If you look under the patch window, you'll notice it says "PLAYER WORN" and not "GAME WORN". Basically, some schlub at Leaf handed this kid a jersey they bought off the rack from Foot Locker or something. Then, had him put it on for 2 minutes, and now it's "PLAYER WORN".

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

Even though it says "Player worn" does it actually say which player might have worn it? Does it say the player pictured on the card wore it? Or just player worn?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Surprisingly it's a pretty easy find, Leaf and Panini don't use game-worn patches. They'll use event-worn or player-worn patches, so it's as simple as having a player put a jersey on at a photo shoot for a few seconds and that's it. This is a big reason why the have a ton of patches in their products.

Now Topps on the other hand uses game-worn jerseys and patches which means that the player had to have used it in an actual game whether that's regular season, postseason or even spring training he still used it in a game. Which is another reason why Topps very rarely has patches in their products unless it's extremely low numbered.
Here is my Photobucket library:
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/captaina789/library/?sort=3&page=1
Collecting most Top 100 Prospects and AMAZING patch cards