`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'17 A&G Impressions

'17 A&G Impressions
So, after a couple days of watching breaks and opening a few packs, what are the impressions of this years Allen and Ginter? Personally, I liked last years set much better. Not really fond of the design this year...do however like the mini subsets. Those have always been different...in a good way. Also, as a team collector (Brewers), I can't understand how a large base set can include fewer than eight or nine cards per team. Really Topps....three base cards!?!? At least I won't have to open more than a few packs to get the "entire" team set.

RE: '17 A&G Impressions
I have been a ginter fan for years and well the only thing I like this year are the Gem, Fossil set numbered to 25. Ginter is starting to feel old and hot boxes with foil...what ginter fan likes foil and gloss...It became popular because it was different from all the other brands. And two, people are jacking the price because of Judge...His auto isn't worth gambling at $120 a box. I do like the mini inserts sets this year, which in past years I have felt that they have lacked in the creativity department in that area. Overall I give it a C- and that is generous.

Opened 2 hobby boxes and still 12 cards shy of putting together just a RC logo set. So yeah not impressed. Also I get it with 3 hits per box but out of my 6 hits 4 are $1 relic cards the other 2 were a framed auto of some golfer nobody has heard of and a Framed Cano mini relic

Don't anybody get offended but I just do not understand the draw of this product. I watched an online break out of curiosity and one of the hits was a frisbee golf female player auto.
At least I saw no hair cards!

(07-22-2017, 01:17 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Don't anybody get offended but I just do not understand the draw of this product. I watched an online break out of curiosity and one of the hits was a frisbee golf female player auto.
At least I saw no hair cards!
+1

The set does have it's fans but it is not my cup of tea although it wouldn't surprise me if they had a "cup of tea" mini insert set one of these days.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I don't like the product and never have. Frankly I wouldn't cry a bit if this was the last year for it and get something new.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I don't hate the product as a whole but I do think the Mini craze has passed and they need to do away with it with the exception of Rip cards.

Have the main set be purely baseball and then let the weird stuff be it's own subset. Keeps purists happy that they can put together a base set of just baseball and for thse that like Giant Pandas and Trees of India they can still chase those also as a insert set.

(07-23-2017, 08:25 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I don't hate the product as a whole but I do think the Mini craze has passed and they need to do away with it with the exception of Rip cards.

Have the main set be purely baseball and then let the weird stuff be it's own subset. Keeps purists happy that they can put together a base set of just baseball and for thse that like Giant Pandas and Trees of India they can still chase those also as a insert set.
Totally agree.
Bought 2 blasters out of boredom and continued to be bored and sleepy during and after opening the boxes. Last year I hit a Bryant mini auto in my first 2 boxes, so I was (delusionally) hoping lightning would strike twice ... as you already know, that didn't happen. Smile
So, I'm pretty much done with A&G this year ... the only cool non- baseball card that i might be interested in is the William Shatner auto. Other than that ... yawn. Mini horse cards, world's dudes, magicians, fishing lures, and required reading cards .... wow. I'm getting sleepy just listing the subsets i got in my 2 blasters. G'nite. Smile

Okay, maybe a little harsh and insulting to A&G ... sorry ... Worlds Fair cards and Revolutionary War Battles are pretty cool and informational. The card design isn't horrible and at second glance, growing on me.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

2013 Ginter was the product that really got me back into collecting. Pulled some really nice stuff from it. It is a unique, fun product.

However it has gotten pretty stale to me. And yeah the Judge effect has equated to me not busting Ginter this year let alone anything else. I'll pick up some singles this year but thats it.

I love the turn of the century type products but would rather see Topps put those sets into a rotation. Maybe include Ginter, Gypsy, T206, Cracker Jack and Turkey Red. I like all those sets but not every year.

Nothing special for me. Bought 2 blasters just because I buy a few blasters of every product. Same basic design every year. Don't care for the non-baseball things. I'll just pick up the Twins cards I need in trade or buy them.