`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do different 1989 cards for Ken Griffey Jr. sell for different prices.
Rainbow 
Why do different 1989 cards for Ken Griffey Jr. sell for different prices.
I was looking on ebay for psa 10 cards from 1989 for Ken Griffey Jr. and I noticed that Upper Deck was quite a few hundred dollars while Fleer and Topps and Score were all under 50 dollars. Why such a price difference?

RE: Why do different 1989 cards for Ken Griffey Jr. sell for different prices.
Even though '89 UD was printed massively by today's standards, its much more rare than the other issues: even though UD cheated and printed thousands more aftermarket!

But '89 UD was a huge, huge, huge (yes, three times) deal back in 1989 - it was the first premium issue... a whole dollar a pack! Other issues were like 40 cents a pack or whatever. 1989 UD was probably one of the top five sets/products ever. The Griffey was the first card of that set (numbered 1).
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

Topps will always be the lowest BV of any cards from that era unless it's an error card.
Is this thing on?

(06-28-2017, 11:47 AM)shivelycore Wrote: Topps will always be the lowest BV of any cards from that era unless it's an error card.
Score is the least valuable, isn't it?

(06-27-2017, 07:16 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Even though '89 UD was printed massively by today's standards, its much more rare than the other issues: even though UD cheated and printed thousands more aftermarket!
So even though they printed massive amounts of it the other card companies still printed even more cards of his in 1989.

(06-28-2017, 07:48 PM)ckrakowski Wrote: So even though they printed massive amounts of it the other card companies still printed even more cards of his in 1989.
Yes, but today's no different: instead of printing a zillion cards for one product as it did in 1989, Topps now prints more than a zillion spread over many products...

(06-28-2017, 01:36 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Score is the least valuable, isn't it?
I dont have the OPG anymore to check but two years ago the lowest BV was always topps.

Is this thing on?

(06-29-2017, 12:25 PM)shivelycore Wrote: I dont have the OPG anymore to check but two years ago the lowest BV was always topps.
Of the big ones, Score is the lowest.
Kepler

[Image: donruss1989.jpg]
[Image: donrussrookies1989.jpg]
[Image: score1989.jpg]
[Image: fleer1989.jpg]
[Image: topps1989.jpg]
[Image: bowman1989.jpg]
[Image: 1989fleerbuybackUD.jpg]
[Image: 89ud.jpg]
[Image: sades.jpg]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mnbamboozled/grif
feys/]My Griffeys[/url]

It just comes down to rarity. For instance, the 89 Topps Traded Tiffany Griffey is substantially more valuable in a PSA 10 than a regular Topps Traded card. The 89 Upper Deck card is an iconic card. Those of us who were kids at the time... that was our Mantle 52 Topps. As such, it's the most valuable of the bunch.

Basically your standard rarity/desirability factors at work.