`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing rookie cards (in Beckett's database)

Missing rookie cards (in Beckett's database)
I recently opened a box of 89-90 Fleer basketball and was going through all of the cards I pulled and I noticed on card #94 (David Rivers) that he had only played for a year. Back then, most of the time when a guy only played for a year, his rookie card was in the next year's issue.

I checked on Beckett's database and they list no card for him before 1989-90, but neither his Fleer card nor his 1989-90 Hoops card are tagged as rookies by Beckett.

Any idea why?

EDIT: The same is true for these cards:

58 Derrick Chievous
118 Chris Welp
134 Ricky Berry
137 Harold Pressley
154 Eric Leckner
157 Mark Alarie

They have no previous cards according to Beckett's database, but yet they aren't listed as rookies.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: 1989-90 David Rivers Fleer rookie?
Sorry for double posting, but I ended up going through every card in the set and checking them versus previous releases for that player and these are the ones that aren't listed as rookies, but should be (because they do not have any officially licensed card prior to this set):

58 Derrick Chievous
94 David Rivers
96 Lester Conner
118 Chris Welp
126 Richard Anderson
134 Ricky Berry
137 Harold Pressley
154 Eric Leckner
157 Mark Alarie

I also noticed a few other interesting things about Beckett's database.

Bill Cartwright (and several other players with long careers) have no rookie card listed. That is just not possible.

Cartwright appears in the 1980-81 Topps set, the 1981-82 Topps set, and the 1987-88 Fleer set. Those are all officially licensed releases, but yet he doesn't have a rookie card according to the Beckett database. Again, that is simply impossible. One of those cards MUST be a rookie and it should be one of the cards he appears on in the 1980-81 Topps set.

(Side note: A bit surprising that he didn't appear in the 1986-87 Fleer issue.)

Anyway, is there a way for users to edit or add information to Beckett's database? I'd definitely be willing to put in the time to correct some of the errors and add the missing info, but I don't know how or even if it is possible at all.

RE: Missing rookie cards (in Beckett's database)
Very interesting that Beckett has missed these for so long, or at least missed them in their online database. Not sure if one were to check some of the older Beckett issues or annual guide, if they are noted as RCs or not. The 1980-81 Topps card (#166) listed under #60 and #148 in Beckett, should definitely be Bill Cartwright RC.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Missing rookie cards (in Beckett's database)
(06-26-2017, 09:47 AM)djohn Wrote: Very interesting that Beckett has missed these for so long, or at least missed them in their online database. Not sure if one were to check some of the older Beckett issues or annual guide, if they are noted as RCs or not. The 1980-81 Topps card (#166) listed under #60 and #148 in Beckett, should definitely be Bill Cartwright RC.
Yeah, seems so odd.

I did 3 box breaks of 1990-91 Fleer recently, also, and I checked EVERY card in that set, too. There were 2 cards in the 1990-91 Fleer set that should be listed as rookies, but are not.

Not quite as bad as the 1989-90 missing RCs, but apparently it isn't limited to just that set.