`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break Questions

Break Questions
This seems to be primarily threads on personal breaks, but I'm hoping to get some feedback/input on actually doing a group break. Hope it's okay to post this here...

I have never bought into a break, for a few reasons. 1) I'm not one for 'buying' a team - there's no guarantee for a hit, and one team could get a large number of hits. 2) Most random ones I've seen, they randomize people to teams, or they randomize for each hit. Still could lead to someone not getting anything versus someone getting 4 hits. That's the gamble, but I like to gamble at craps and poker. My card investments I want an almost guaranteed shot to get something.

So I'm thinking of doing my own, and I wanted people's opinions on how I want to set it up. Am I missing something? Is something unfair? Just asking...

I am using a 2017 Topps Finest 8-box hobby case as an example.

* There will be a total of 20 'positions'
* Position pricing will be based on 20, but only 15 will be offered for sale. I will retain the other 5 positions. I will also retain any unsold positions
* The position price is $62.50, and includes shipping in the US. International shipping sill be extra. Insurance may be an additional charge

Normal case distribution states that there will be 19 premium hits: (1) Finest Finishes Auto, (2) Finest Careers Die Cuts, (16) Autos/Wave Autos. Assuming normal hit distribution cards will be distributed as such:

* If there are no 1-of-1, or 5-of-5 hits, then I will waive one of my positions from the list for receiving a hit, thus meeting the 19 available hits
* If there is a 1-of-1, it will be added to the Hits group, and position 20 will be included
* If there is no 1-of-1, but there is a 5-of-5, that card will be added to the Hits group, and position 20 will be included
* If there is more than (1) 1-of-1 (or 5-of-5), every reasonable effort will be made to identify the best card of that group, and that card will be added to the Hits group, and position 20 will be included
* If there is/are 1-of-1's, and 5-of-5's, only 1 card, based on the above item, will be included in the Hits group. 1-of-1 cards take precedent over 5-of-5. All others will be added to the Secondary group
* If there is an additional hit (for example: a 17th auto), this card would be included in the Hits group, and position 20 will be included

* Finest Finishes Auto, and Finest Careers Die Cuts, will be distributed via a random generated list- for each card, and awarded to spot #5 on the produced list
* Once a position wins a hit, they are no longer included in the Hits group. This way each position is guaranteed a hit
* After the 'Finest' hits are distributed a final, random list will be generated, and the remaining Hits group will be distributed from spot 1 to 16 (or 17 if a 20th hit was added)

* All secondary cards (inserts, numbered, parallels) will be distributed through a random generated list, from spot 1 to 20, in the order the cards were pulled, in groups of 20
* Remaining secondary cards, which do not total 20, will be awarded through another randomly generated list, from spot 1 down, until all secondary cards are distributed

* If a position chooses to forego an awarded card, that card will be put back into the group, and that position will lose its turn, for that distribution round

* Base cards will not be automatically distributed
* Requests for base cards will be accepted, with random awarding if more than one request for specific card(s)
* Base card requests must be received no later than 5 hours after the end of the break
* All cards will be shipped to the winners within 3 days of the completion of the break
* If a person wants insurance above the $100 base amount, please notify me and I will let you know if there will be an additional charge

So I think I covered everything. Thoughts?

Thanks

RE: Break Questions
It sounds like a lot of rules, enough to scare me away. I have been group breaking solidly for year - and yes you get skunked often - but I also have gotten a red refractor auto - several 1/1's - so when everything averages out, I firmly believe I am doing better than hobby boxes. If I buy a team in a case break for $20 and get one auto, I am far ahead of dropping $80 on a hobby box for a guaranteed auto - most likely Julio Teheran or Chad Pinder, and then there is a chance to get multiple autos.
On the flipside, it is easy to work up a debt if you do not have focus. Because here is a shocker, gambling is addicting - especially once you get a sweet hit.

I agree with wickercat on one thing, I also think there's too many rules. Sounds to me the same as when I had to take tax accounting in college; You do this if it's a normal day, but if it's the 3rd Tuesday then you have to pay double, but if it's the third Wednesday, you don't have to pay anything. Well I think you all get my drift. I think I'd rather take my chances on a normal break, or better yet, buy my own case.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Too many rules to follow - way too confusing. I've read the rules twice and am only now starting to grasp what might be going on.

The first time I went through them it felt like I was trying to figure out how to smell the color 9.
Kepler

Are you an attorney? If not, burn that set of rules and start over.