`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit some thrift shops and antique stores

RE: Hit some thrift shops and antique stores
My old office was about 4 store fronts away from a Goodwill thrift store for about 8 years. I was a frequent flyer there, picking up all sorts of great items, books, art etc .... never saw any cards come through there. Occasionally, they'd have some trashed comics mixed in with the books, but never anything collectible, although I kept asking for them to keep their eyes open for me. One day the manager came to my office and said there was stuff that just came in that would be interesting for me to look at and maybe help evaluate it for him, so I ran over to discover a pile of cards from the early 1990s and they looked like they were used to soak up a water spill. Needless to say, we were both very disappointed. Sad
My best sports related Goodwill pickups:
1979-80 Knicks throwback Jersey #3 Marbury
Harlem Globbtrotters #36 (Meadowlark Lemon) warmup jacket
Ken Griffey Jr Home-plate litho (not signed Sad)
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-03-2019, 02:20 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My old office was about 4 store fronts away from a Goodwill thrift store for about 8 years. I was a frequent flyer there, picking up all sorts of great items, books, art etc .... never saw any cards come through there. Occasionally, they'd have some trashed comics mixed in with the books, but never anything collectible, although I kept asking for them to keep their eyes open for me. One day the manager came to my office and said there was stuff that just came in that would be interesting for me to look at and maybe help evaluate it for him, so I ran over to discover a pile of cards from the early 1990s and they looked like they were used to soak up a water spill. Needless to say, we were both very disappointed. Sad
My best sports related Goodwill pickups:
1979-80 Knicks throwback Jersey #3 Marbury
Harlem Globbtrotters #36 (Meadowlark Lemon) warmup jacket
Ken Griffey Jr Home-plate litho (not signed Sad)
Sweet! Do you have a picture of that Meadowlark jacket?

(02-04-2019, 06:51 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Sweet! Do you have a picture of that Meadowlark jacket?
Here's pics of Meadowlark Jacket and Marbury Jersey
They are 6X and 2XL respectively ... they are 'big and tall' for certain Smile
[Image: IMG-1316.jpg] [Image: IMG-1317.jpg] [Image: IMG-1318.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-05-2019, 12:53 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Here's pics of Meadowlark Jacket and Marbury Jersey
They are 6X and 2XL respectively ... they are 'big and tall' for certain Smile
[Image: IMG-1316.jpg] [Image: IMG-1317.jpg] [Image: IMG-1318.jpg]
That's awesome, sweet finds!