`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest pull from your commons pile?

Biggest pull from your commons pile?
Thought it would be fun to find out what everyone's biggest pull is from their own "commons" pile?

Last year I thought it would be fun to rummage through my 10-year-old box of commons...I found about 10 minor league Jeter cards (Classic Foursport - $25 each) and 4 of them were the foil version! I also managed to find some Thome and Manny RCs.

RE: Biggest pull from your commons pile?
I posted a thread about this card already, but I found this about a month ago in a common box.

[Image: image_zps6s75humo.jpeg]
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

I pulled this one out of a box of Fleer commons a few years ago.

This one I found earlier this year in a box of 2008 commons.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I think the "biggest" finds that I found in my box of commons have been a 1997 Fleer David Ortiz (Arias) RC, I have since sold it, and a 2011 Gypsy Queen Ty Cobb sepia mini. Since I have been collecting for over twenty years I have come across some Michael Jordan inserts (nothing huge) and the occasional base card of decent players.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

Ive found many inserts and serial numbered cards I had no idea i had or at least didnt remember them, also rookies of players that for me, at the moment i pulled them were just another plain old rookie and then a few years later they were stars. Ive found a few Ortiz rookies as well like many have mentioned.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I keep my rookies for you never know I found A Clete Thomas Red refractor from 2008 topps Chrome, Trevor Story, Josh Donaldson, 2008 Kershaw, and 2010 Chapman are my most recents
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

I don't know if it was my biggest pull but several years ago I was going through my box of commons and found a Ryan Howard rc which I found out booked at $30 at the time. Needless to say it didn't stay in the commons after that.

(04-25-2017, 02:01 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I keep my rookies for you never know I found A Clete Thomas Red refractor from 2008 topps Chrome, Trevor Story, Josh Donaldson, 2008 Kershaw, and 2010 Chapman are my most recents
I found a chapman as well, very surprising find when i saw it
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I'm assuming you meant cards from your own collection of commons?
Here's some that I can think of ....
Probably my 2008 Topps back to school A-Rod card. Thought it was just a common, but it has a different image and number on the back. I don't have it handy, so cant post a pic. It was about 1000X more than what I thought it was worth. Then, probably were any of my 2011 Topps sparkle cards. When I first started buying them, had no idea they even existed. Then i sat down and went through all my 2011 commons and found a half dozen or so Sparkle variants. Oh, yeah .... 2011 Topps Update US175 ... after Trout became a household name, I went back through my commons and found a few of those that I thought were pretty common and nothing special. Nice to revisit your common stash every few years. Smile things change Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

In the mid 90's an employee gave me a box of cards she found while packing to move. I sorted them and took the stars out. In the box was also a 1962 Cubs Team Card (#552), I never cared for team cards so just put it back in the box and forgot about it. A couple years ago while looking for Yankee cards for my nephews I found the card, of course now it is being treated properly.