`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Star Ad Cards

Jordan Star Ad Cards
Here's another card I recently inherited. It's a Star Ad Card. And most I've seen online aren't worth but $20. But as much as I try searching, I can't find a single one of these anywhere, except the one in my possession. Surely this isn't a Holy Grail unobtanium card? Does anyone have any info on this card? It's not a refractor, it's not shiny, it's honestly pretty bland. But could it be ultra rare?

Thanks,

Matt

[Image: 20170226_000714.jpg]

[Image: 20170226_000755.jpg]

RE: Jordan Star Ad Cards
if i remember correctly, they were issued as promos for relevant sets. Being a jordan, i think the US$20 range is fair, but it may go higher in an auction - depending on who's after it. @odditycards would know more.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Star produced a number of basketball sets between 1981 and I believe 1992 they were actually the only NBA cards between 1983-1987. That being said, even though I am almost certain Star Cards closed by this time, I have a feeling this card was somehow produced in 1995 following the NBA Playoffs using an image from one of the three Orlando-Chicago playoff games in Chicago.

Jordan is driving past Anthony Bowie, who didn't have a beard until 1994.
Horace Grant in the background, first season in Orlando was 1994.
The banner in the background says "1995 NBA Playoffs"

Here is an image to the NBA banner for the 1995 playoffs where you can see the same font used: [Image: 4348ca1fda1fa0e33040511a14284ef8o.png]
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

Nice detective work! Now why are there none of these cards anywhere?

I am absolutely stumped, Star last cards were in 1992 and those were baseball. They closed shortly afterwards, so that was three years before the game this image came from was played. I am wondering if it is possibly a Broder card?
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

You got to it before I could! Wink
Funny how people try to make cards and don't use a period photo...lol.
I think these were part of a "promo" set that was made in the 1995/96 and issued by HSN and passed off as legit and only limited to 500 or something like that. "Broder" card for sure. Typically rare and never seen on ebay...but being a rare broder card, typically $5-$20 would be a price range for some of these rarer type broders...

(02-26-2017, 07:37 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: Star produced a number of basketball sets between 1981 and I believe 1992 they were actually the only NBA cards between 1983-1987. That being said, even though I am almost certain Star Cards closed by this time, I have a feeling this card was somehow produced in 1995 following the NBA Playoffs using an image from one of the three Orlando-Chicago playoff games in Chicago.

Jordan is driving past Anthony Bowie, who didn't have a beard until 1994.
Horace Grant in the background, first season in Orlando was 1994.
The banner in the background says "1995 NBA Playoffs"

Here is an image to the NBA banner for the 1995 playoffs where you can see the same font used: [Image: 4348ca1fda1fa0e33040511a14284ef8o.png]
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

On further review, defintely a Broder. No NBA logo or legal rights language anywhere. Basically a stolen use of MJ's image.

There were three quasi-legitimate Jordan Star Co. Ad Cards made in 1990-91, and the card pictured above is NOT one of those quasi-legit cards. This card was made as a predecessor to the illegal Shop at Home counterfeit fantasy cards and carries no real value. There are many different cards of Jordan as part of this illegal, unlicensed run. Besides the single cards, there were also some 5-Card "promo" sets. They were printed from 1994-1996, and, once again, carry no real value.

(03-09-2017, 02:05 PM)stevetaft Wrote: There were three quasi-legitimate Jordan Star Co. Ad Cards made in 1990-91, and the card pictured above is NOT one of those quasi-legit cards. This card was made as a predecessor to the illegal Shop at Home counterfeit fantasy cards and carries no real value. There are many different cards of Jordan as part of this illegal, unlicensed run. Besides the single cards, there were also some 5-Card "promo" sets. They were printed from 1994-1996, and, once again, carry no real value.
I remember watching those Shop at Home shows on late night wondering who in their right mind would buy any of the sports card sets. I am sure plenty of grandmothers paid way too much thinking they were getting deals on presents for the grandkids.

I do know that my brother had purchased what was supposedly 1 of 500 Jordan rookie cards (or something like that) that were supposedly "discovered" via that Shop at Home offer that proved to be counterfeits. And I also know he was able to find out the scam almost instantly, returned the card, and got his money back.