Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Alger in cards- found 1 scan included

Looking for Alger in cards- found 1 scan included
I am looking for these 3 cards:
1994-01 Story of America #76-13 Horatio Alger-- relative

1888 Presidential Possibilities N124 #21 Russell A. Alger- A relative

Hockey -2014-15 Johnstown Tomahawks #15 Alex Alger- Cousin

Never know I might find someone here that knows where I can locate one of these 3 items

If you are wondering who Russel Alexander Alger is I will give a quick history thingy.

(February 27, 1836 – January 24, 1907) was the 20th Governor and U.S. Senator from the state of Michigan and also U.S. Secretary of War during the Presidential administration of William McKinley. He was supposedly a distant relation of Horatio Alger; although Russell Alger lived his own "rags-to-riches" success tale, eventually becoming an army general, financier, lumber baron, railroad owner, and government official in several high offices

He enlisted as a private soldier in the American Civil War in 1861. He was commissioned and served as a captain and major in the 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment. At the Battle of Boonesville, July 11, 1862, he was sent by Colonel Philip Sheridan to attack the enemy's rear with ninety picked men. The Confederate forces were soundly defeated, and although Alger was wounded and taken prisoner, he escaped the same day. On October 16, he was made lieutenant colonel of the 6th Michigan Cavalry.

In 1884, Alger was elected Governor of Michigan, serving from January 1, 1885, to January 1, 1887. He declined renomination in 1886 and was a presidential elector on the Republican ticket in 1888. Alger's name was placed in nomination for president at the 1888 Republican National Convention. He rose in balloting to 142 votes, with 416 necessary to win, but Benjamin Harrison ultimately obtained the nomination and went on to win the general election. In 1888, Alger was elected as the Commander of the Michigan Department of the Grand Army of the Republic and as the 18th Commander-in-Chief of the GAR in 1889.

Alger was appointed Secretary of War in the Cabinet of U.S. President William McKinley on March 5, 1897. As Secretary, he recommended pay increases for military personnel serving at foreign embassies and legations.

He also became the 20th Governor of Michigan

If you are wondering Horatio Alger is:January 13, 1832 – July 18, 1899)

He was an author wrote over 120 books for young working-class males.

His writings were characterized by the "rags to riches" narrative, which had a formative effect on America during the Gilded Age.
On December 8, 1864 Alger was installed as pastor with the First Unitarian Church and Society of Brewster, Massachusetts

Alger wrote over 120 books for young working-class males, a well-known early example of which is Ragged Dick, which was published in 1867. His books have been described as rags-to-riches stories, although often "rags to upper-middle class respectability" might be more accurate.[1] "By leading exemplary lives, struggling valiantly against poverty and adversity", Alger's protagonists gain both wealth and honor, ultimately realizing the American Dream.[2] The characters in Alger's stories sometimes improved their social position through the aid of an older, kindly, wealthy benefactor
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

RE: Looking for Alger in cards
Wow, that's really cool. Quite the family history. I don't have any of the cards but I added them to my list that I take to the card shows. If I get lucky I'll let you know.
Slightly off topic, but I had never heard of the Grand Army of the Republic until 2010. I found an old trophy bat in an attic that had a plaque attached to its barrel. It was dated 1897 'presented by GAR' and then two team names and the score of th game. I ended up listing it with Heritage auctions and they told me the whole history of the GAR and the bat was presented at Elysian Field where the first baseball games were played to one of the local BBC in the area. Anyway, I found out the GAR was a big deal back in the day. So having a relative be a former president should make you very proud of your families history.
SET NEEDS;
2012 tribute blue autos - need most
1995-98 football inserts

(01-23-2016, 08:19 AM)lecreccio Wrote: Wow, that's really cool. Quite the family history. I don't have any of the cards but I added them to my list that I take to the card shows. If I get lucky I'll let you know.
Slightly off topic, but I had never heard of the Grand Army of the Republic until 2010. I found an old trophy bat in an attic that had a plaque attached to its barrel. It was dated 1897 'presented by GAR' and then two team names and the score of th game. I ended up listing it with Heritage auctions and they told me the whole history of the GAR and the bat was presented at Elysian Field where the first baseball games were played to one of the local BBC in the area. Anyway, I found out the GAR was a big deal back in the day. So having a relative be a former president should make you very proud of your families history.
Thank you
Learning alot about my family History also found out that Nathan Alger had the very first Homestead in Ohio in the 1660s but, no cards made of him.

Another ancestor was Nathan Alger who has the first Homestead in Ohio in 1812 which is now called Alger county. One day I plan on visiting the grave site for he was buried on his property and now is one of the main cemeteries Rockport Ohio. Too bad no card was made of him too.

Please if you find one of these let me know. The 1888 card i figure would be next to impossible but you never know

You ever read any of Horatio Alger's books?

When I was younger I never liked to read and my Dad and Mom had 86 of his original books but I never read one. My Brother got them all including the one my Grandpa had autographed by Horatio when he gave it to him. My dad took it to school in 1945 and lost it. You can imagine he got his but beat. Grandpa died in 1959 at the right old age of 74. fast forward to 2003 my Mom was looking to add to the collection and found a book that was signed by Horatio Alger it said and I remember it very well " To my great nephew Willis William Alger from you Uncle Horatio Alger" She purchased the book and the lady selling it did no charge and sent my mom the book for free. The letter is still in the book and I remember reading the statement " Glad to get the book back to the rightful owners".

I do plan purchasing a few books and read them since I am now starting to like reading for the first time in my life but I do not want a copy I want one of the original books and maybe start a collection of my own and pass them down to my kids.

RE: Looking for Alger in cards- found found scan included
This little item came in Duke cigarette packs in 1888 it has 15 pages and tells his life history
[Image: img004_zpsd5atvp89.jpg]

RE: Looking for Alger in cards- found 1 scan included
first one: 1888 Duke cigarettes it is a BOOKLET WITH 15 PAGES
[Image: img004_zpsd5atvp89.jpg]

2nd One: 1888 Presidential Possibilities from the Honest Cigarettes (dang wish he would have won)
[Image: img001_zpslrb5z99o.jpg]
[Image: img002_zpsvcrsut1r.jpg]

(01-24-2016, 06:30 AM)ne12bc12 Wrote: You ever read any of Horatio Alger's books?
Yes he is also a retaliative of mine along with Nathaniel Alger who had the first Homestead in Ohio.