`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Seven no longer retired

RE: Number Seven no longer retired
Topps retired the number back in 1996, but that was when it was still the Topps we all knew and loved. Since the company was bought out (around 2007?), my personal opinion is that the current company is selling off every bit of it's history (see Topps vault) and integrity (unwillingness to confirm checklists, send redemptions on time, etc). On top of that they are now selling their "Wall Art" and many other high ticket items on line only (the $1,500.00 Sapphire set comes to mind). I think "Topps" is milking this cash cow until it's dead and then will sell off the brand. Bottom line, I prefer my sets to have all the card #'s, but Topps today does not seem to particularly care about what they did in the past if they can't make a buck off it.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(01-31-2017, 01:34 PM)scottzoe Wrote: Topps retired the number back in 1996, but that was when it was still the Topps we all knew and loved. Since the company was bought out (around 2007?), my personal opinion is that the current company is selling off every bit of it's history (see Topps vault) and integrity (unwillingness to confirm checklists, send redemptions on time, etc). On top of that they are now selling their "Wall Art" and many other high ticket items on line only (the $1,500.00 Sapphire set comes to mind). I think "Topps" is milking this cash cow until it's dead and then will sell off the brand. Bottom line, I prefer my sets to have all the card #'s, but Topps today does not seem to particularly care about what they did in the past if they can't make a buck off it.

Scott
Great observation! I agree they'll make as much product (of any kind) as is humanly possible; it makes sense they'll bail when the going starts to get really tough.

I now feel obligated to buy less now or to stop buying entirely...
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(01-30-2017, 12:42 PM)zeprock Wrote: Retired means retired. You should not be able to "unretire" a number. No team has ever taken a retired number off their wall. It looks as if this is just sour grapes on Topps part but it comes across as being disrespectful. I'm a Red Sox fan but I still think they need to leave the Yankee legend's number retired.
Great ! Glad you posted it on the comments!
(01-30-2017, 02:14 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: What Topps doesn't realize is that it actually comes off looking better if #7 stays retired, whether or not the issue is resolved with the estate.

The intent was to honor the player, not the contract with the estate.

I'm with Doc on this one.
Thanks!
(01-30-2017, 02:05 PM)madhatter74 Wrote: What's the fascination with Mantle, anyway? I know his cards drove the hobby for decades. But retiring Mantle, but not Mays... or Aaron... or Griffey... seems arbitrary.

As far as this topic goes - I don't care either way. I didn't even know #7 was retired until I read this thread.
They're all great players, and all important, but there's some special about Mantle and Topps. Mantle and Topps were sorta coming up at the same time and had a connection with the sport/hobby the helped each other ... I dunno, but when I used to dream of getting my prize cards ... they were always Topps Mantles.
When he died, they retired #7. Mays & Aaron are (thankfully) still alive and kicking, so no, its not arbitrary at all, IMO.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Retired is retired. Sadly in my opinion a lot of the people in the hobby today only value the "newer" players and the greats of old are pushed aside for what is new and shiny.

One of the things I like about baseball is its history. Number 7 was Mantle and when we passed away so many years ago, Topps did something great with not making # 7 anymore. Sure it could be confusing if you were new to the hobby and went looking for card # 7 but then that was a change to talk / study about the history of the game.

Just my two cents.

When I think of Topps, I think of their history (i.e.'52 Topps). In my opinion, it's part of their brand image. If they have to include a #7 for some reason, I would like to see a new tradition where card #7 includes some kind of nod to Mantle each year. I wouldn't mind if #7 was numbered to a quantity with some type of significance to Mantle.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Thank you. This was the stupidest thing topps ever did. I still do not even know how the mantle estate manged to get card number 7 spot. Did they buy it and tell topps no cards were to be made with number 7 and if they did how can I buy a card number and demand no cards be made using that number or was it topps decision not to make any cards numbered 7. I think there are other players more deserving then mantle. I would go with the babe did topps retire number 3 oh wait they did not. What makes mantle so special that he got card number 7 retired??

(02-13-2017, 04:08 PM)ckrakowski Wrote: Thank you. This was the stupidest thing topps ever did. I still do not even know how the mantle estate manged to get card number 7 spot. Did they buy it and tell topps no cards were to be made with number 7 and if they did how can I buy a card number and demand no cards be made using that number or was it topps decision not to make any cards numbered 7. I think there are other players more deserving then mantle. I would go with the babe did topps retire number 3 oh wait they did not. What makes mantle so special that he got card number 7 retired??
Mantle WAS special. Topps and Mantle had a connection. I can't explain Mantle except I only got to see him play when he was .... done, .... hurting,... a shadow of his former self, and he was still exciting. Topps retired the card, the Mantle estate didn't buy the card number slot. In fact, Topps paid the Mantle Estate to allow a #7 card to be printed and distributed. Assuming that when the contract to continue printing a Mantle card in the #7 slot ran out, negotiations between Topps & the Mantle Estate didn't go well. No Mantle Cards in 2013-present.
Topps didn't exist when Babe played ball nor when he passed ... no direct connection.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have no feeling either way since I do not collect sets or Mantle but I do feel that if a number is retired, just like if a team retires a number, it should remain retired.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(01-30-2017, 02:03 AM)tate31nym Wrote: not when there's money to be made!
Right. Topps is just a "business" with no competition. One more card out of the thousands they put out each year in their dozens of sets and subsets? Who cares? They were probably putting out at least 30 #7s each year anyway.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.