`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do redemptions get a bad rep?

Do redemptions get a bad rep?
I know most of the time redemptions go over like a hair in biscuit.

However this past year, I have had some good experiences. For what it is worth, this is my recent approach.

Getting redemptions when busting wax or participating in group breaks will always suck.

Buying individual redemptions is what I like to do but only in two circumstances.

1). HOFers or future HOFers in high end products and he has autos in other products.
Sellers know redemptions are not a buyer's first choice. You can get a great player at a cheaper price. Plus there isn't a fear they won't sign because they already have autos on the market.

2). Mid to late round rookie quarterbacks. The combination of a redemption and a late round draft pick means you can buy it dirt cheap. If he doesn't sign or is a bust, you didn't pay much anyway.

I never even consider buying a redemption of an early round, over hyped rookie. By the time they sign or make the decision not to sign at all, they can be a mediocre player or a bust all together. Nothing like going to the mailbox and getting a redemption that you overpaid for a year ago and now it isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on. Speaking from personal experience from about ten years ago.

Just some random opinions, feel free to agree, bash, or add your philosophy.

Jeremy
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

RE: Do redemptions get a bad rep?
(11-21-2016, 06:05 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: I know most of the time redemptions go over like a hair in biscuit.

However this past year, I have had some good experiences. For what it is worth, this is my recent approach.

Getting redemptions when busting wax or participating in group breaks will always suck.

Buying individual redemptions is what I like to do but only in two circumstances.

1). HOFers or future HOFers in high end products and he has autos in other products.
Sellers know redemptions are not a buyer's first choice. You can get a great player at a cheaper price. Plus there isn't a fear they won't sign because they already have autos on the market.

2). Mid to late round rookie quarterbacks. The combination of a redemption and a late round draft pick means you can buy it dirt cheap. If he doesn't sign or is a bust, you didn't pay much anyway.

I never even consider buying a redemption of an early round, over hyped rookie. By the time they sign or make the decision not to sign at all, they can be a mediocre player or a bust all together. Nothing like going to the mailbox and getting a redemption that you overpaid for a year ago and now it isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on. Speaking from personal experience from about ten years ago.

Just some random opinions, feel free to agree, bash, or add your philosophy.

Jeremy
You make a lot of good points and I don't really have an opinion either way, as my only redemption ever was out of a discount pack of 2013 product in which the expiration date was 16 months past. I guess I am missing out! LOL

I used to like redemptions in the 90s but those were bonus cards typically and not promised hits that weren't packed out. If the process was a little more transparent on what kind of replacements a person could reasonably get (or in Panini's case convert it to points) I think it would smooth over getting a redemption.

(11-21-2016, 07:15 PM)jplarson Wrote: I used to like redemptions in the 90s but those were bonus cards typically and not promised hits that weren't packed out. If the process was a little more transparent on what kind of replacements a person could reasonably get (or in Panini's case convert it to points) I think it would smooth over getting a redemption.
Completely understandable. The replacement concept is weird to me. It's good that a replacement is an option. However, I then wonder about cards we assume were distributed in wax but are sitting in the Replacement stash.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

I hate the concept of redemptions but I understand it. I mainly bust older products and due to that fact its panini products. But their idea of redemptions are real hit and miss. Some redemptions are real quick turnarounds and for instance im on the 6th month waiting for my cam newton. Kinda ticks me off. But what are you gunna do?

I pulled one redemption card ever in my card-buying days and was thrilled. It was a 2001 Donruss Classics Hashmarks card of Troy Aikman with a piece of turf from Three Rivers Stadium (for some reason). It was a card that could not have fit in a pack and the whole process added a layer of excitement to the process.
[Image: sp9m5j.jpg]

My only thing with redemptions are.. if players aren't "contracted" to sign at least right away.. why make a redemption of that player? Julio Jones JUST signed his 2011 contenders from.. did I say 2011!? Do you see what theyre selling for now and/or what people probably got in return for replacements? How is that fair to the people who tried redeeming? I like Panini but Topps redemptions have ALWAYS been great to me and for me.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

I'm ok with redemptions as long as there aren't a LOT in a product and if the player signs. I got a cheap Clay Matthews 16 Prestige auto redemption back when the product came out, and it took less than 2 months for me to get it. I also had 2 redemptions for Jordy Nelson from 2015 National Treasures that only took about that long to get. I know Jordy and Clay are REALLY good at signing, so I knew I wouldn't have any issues getting them. But, I did have a few redemptions for Jerel Worthy from 2012 Prizm that I ended up replacing after 8 months that I'm pretty sure have still never been completed. But, I got those in breaks, and got some decent replacements (well, at the time.... They were Casey Hayward who's now no longer on the team). If it's a new player that has redemptions in everything, I would rather wait until they are live to buy something from those redemptions just because I don't want to deal with it if they never actually sign.

lets see... I cant get 4 redemptions filled or replaced by panini that have been outstanding from 2-5 years ... yes 5 years ... I cant get them to respond to calls, emails or posts on their social media sites .... when I do get through on the phone I get shuffled around until I eventually am redirected to a voice mail box after being connected and transferred several times .... and then no answer if I try to call back.

I will never spend serious money on a redemption ...I would rather pay more for the actual card.

Take Topps this year for instance .... Lets say you had a redemption for a Montana auto and that card has not been filled as of yet for what ever reason..... at this point in time Topps is no longer filling redemptions for cards that have not been created yet and are sending replacements without contacting customers ..... I know the odds of it happening to you every time is slim but im not willing to bet on that ..... if I get one in a break or busting pack then it is what it is ..... If the redemption is live already and others of the card have been filled and shipped I might consider it.

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(11-22-2016, 11:09 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: lets see... I cant get 4 redemptions filled or replaced by panini that have been outstanding from 2-5 years ... yes 5 years ... I cant get them to respond to calls, emails or posts on their social media sites .... when I do get through on the phone I get shuffled around until I eventually am redirected to a voice mail box after being connected and transferred several times .... and then no answer if I try to call back.

I will never spend serious money on a redemption ...I would rather pay more for the actual card.

Take Topps this year for instance .... Lets say you had a redemption for a Montana auto and that card has not been filled as of yet for what ever reason..... at this point in time Topps is no longer filling redemptions for cards that have not been created yet and are sending replacements without contacting customers ..... I know the odds of it happening to you every time is slim but im not willing to bet on that ..... if I get one in a break or busting pack then it is what it is ..... If the redemption is live already and others of the card have been filled and shipped I might consider it.
On your outstanding redemptions, do a shout out on Twitter. I've seen that help. Also, if you mention the BBB (Better Business Bureau) when you talk to someone on the phone in regards to how you can't get them to address the situation, that will usually give you better customer service (sad to say that it's necessary). I can see if i can find out who the new main contact is for this stuff since David Sharp is no longer in the queue for talking to customers.