`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few old World Series Baseballs

A few old World Series Baseballs
Back in the Y2K....the turn of the century, after the world didn't end; I frequently went shopping at a very nice Men's store in New York City, called Moe Ginsburg. The store was housed in an office building. Each floor had different items....suits, shirts, shoes, coats...etc, everything a man would need in one building.

Your size was no problem, they had it all. The salesmen knew the business. They remembered your name, your size, your style, and would bring to your attention items that arrived that they knew was right for you.

The building did not look like an department store, it was literally an office building with a security guard at a desk in the lobby. You had to know where you were going to find it. You can't find Men's stores like this anymore....a thing of the past....long gone.

Today I was digging in my closet, and pulled out a shopping bag. The bag had a set of baseballs; given to me by the store for being a loyal customer. My salesman said he had something for me as I was about to checkout. I gladly accepted my gift.

I don't think the company that issued the COA's exists anymore. Yea I know....all of this for 3 lousy balls. Blush Enjoy!

[Image: Moe%20Ginsburg%20WSBB%20Set%20Receipt001...ztp4vg.jpg]
[Image: Cert%20Of%20Auth%2078%20WSBB%20Moe%20Gin...qqq88c.jpg][Image: PB080017_zpsu4wpqsco.jpg][Image: PB080017_zpsu4wpqsco.jpg][Image: Cert%20Of%20Auth%2096%20WSBB%20Moe%20Gin...9jc3se.jpg][Image: PB080022_zpstqtxssx7.jpg][Image: PB080021_zpsity2fkzu.jpg][Image: Cert%20Of%20Auth%2098%20WSBB%20Moe%20Gin...g2od8b.jpg][Image: PB080011_zpsv5fwxzsb.jpg][Image: PB080012_zps3tmkmqyz.jpg]

RE: A few old World Series Baseballs
Very cool! But why would letters of authenticity be needed for what's obviously licensed merchandise? No Sigs to forge, not claiming to be game used ... Curious.
Anyway, never look a gift horse in the mouth, and all that. Very nice gift from an unlikely source and very cool that they're all Yankees WS game balls, too.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I'm diggin' the 1978 ball, I graduated high school that year. Awesome re-find!
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

(11-21-2016, 07:32 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Very cool! But why would letters of authenticity be needed for what's obviously licensed merchandise? No Sigs to forge, not claiming to be game used ... Curious.
I was thinking the same thing. Then I noticed the wording on the COA, which states "baseball made exclusively for play". Which makes me wonder if these are actually game balls that just never got used or were used lightly (i.e. during warm-ups etc).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Those are cool. Now you need to track down players from those three teams and get them autographed. I was given a 1982 World Series ball and was able to get nearly all the championship Cardinals to sign it. The only one I didn't get was Darrell Porter because he passed away shortly before I was able to get him with the rest of the team.

(11-21-2016, 03:17 PM)cspen Wrote: Those are cool. Now you need to track down players from those three teams and get them autographed. I was given a 1982 World Series ball and was able to get nearly all the championship Cardinals to sign it. The only one I didn't get was Darrell Porter because he passed away shortly before I was able to get him with the rest of the team.
I was thinking about doing that. Good idea for a new project.

Very nice balls, and a great story to go with them.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(11-21-2016, 09:12 AM)djohn Wrote: I was thinking the same thing. Then I noticed the wording on the COA, which states "baseball made exclusively for play". Which makes me wonder if these are actually game balls that just never got used or were used lightly (i.e. during warm-ups etc).

In 2004 my dad got me a World Series ball from the series that year, and it also came with a coa. I thought the same thing, why does it need one? But I think you are right, it certifies that it was made for use in the game, but was never used.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283