`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Selling commons and lower valued inserts?

Selling commons and lower valued inserts?
So I have a butt load of commons and lower valued inserts that I made a cgrslist post about. My add basically is me trying to sell the cards individually at either 10 cents, 25 cents, or $1 each. With discounts if people want more. I have two 3,000 count boxes of cards that book between $2 and $5 that are in the "$1" boxes. I've had a couple of "How much for everything" questions and I honestly don't know where to begin with a price. I obviously want the most out of it, but they are always wanting the lowest. Any idea of a happy medium here? I can send a pm of the add if anyone is willing to help out.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

RE: Selling commons and lower valued inserts?
I can't give a dollar amount answer, but I would consider the following:

1. State you live in?...East coast would fetch more than Midwest
2. Do you need the money?
3. Are you pressed for space or moving soon?
4. Are the cards from recent years or more than 10 years old?
5. Will you miss them when they leave the nest?

All these factors would help me decide a fair yet sellable price.

Here are a few other things to consider, anyone looking to buy them all is most likely going to take the time to piece them out and resell them for more. Reselling individually takes time, so if you value your time then you might consider selling all at once. As for a price for all of them, I would be surprised if anyone were to offer more than 20% of book value for the lot (unless there are some hot rookies or rookie inserts mixed in there). Keep in mind they aren't necessarily trying to lowball you, they are just taking into account that it will take time for them to resell and they will be taking up space until they are all sold (time and space are both valuable and a lot of us forget just how valuable they can be).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Good luck.....this is a problem we all have, trying to get rid of cards that aren't worth much that we don't want or need. Myself, I can get 5,000 count boxes for $10 anytime that I want. @ a bk value of $0.10 each, thats $500 BV per box, so DJ's 20% is very generous on a bulk sale. (however, since I don't have the room, nor the time to sort and sell, I don't buy them). Like stated.....folks probably aren't low balling you, they are just factoring their costs into what they are offering you plus the amount of lots for sale = low offers
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(10-18-2016, 09:26 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Good luck.....this is a problem we all have, trying to get rid of cards that aren't worth much that we don't want or need. Myself, I can get 5,000 count boxes for $10 anytime that I want. @ a bk value of $0.10 each, thats $500 BV per box, so DJ's 20% is very generous on a bulk sale. (however, since I don't have the room, nor the time to sort and sell, I don't buy them). Like stated.....folks probably aren't low balling you, they are just factoring their costs into what they are offering you plus the amount of lots for sale = low offers
I agree, the 20% is very generous, and would typically be more so if all the cards were worth a few dollars each. Bulk commons can be picked up for fractions of a cent each, as you pointed out. When I buy bulk, I usually just take into account the more valuable cards and the rest are considered throw-ins. So in reality if you look at total BV, the percentage paid will drop the more commons you end up having.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Good luck Woogie. Selling low level base and inserts is a frustrating process. I have been trying to sell off what I have for awhile now. The base cards for 90% of players seem to be near worthless. I ended up being able to sell alot of them by selling in team lots on Ebay though. I would include stars, semistars, and commons. Most teams I was getting $12-13 for a 500+ card lot but that would include free shipping. A few like the Cubs, Dodgers, Giants etc I was able to get $15. Not making much money on them but clearing out badly needed space. As far as inserts go I am just getting started listing them and have put up a couple lots of refractors up on Ebay. I have them priced at well below 20% BV or Best Offer and still can't get any interest. I may just offer all my inserts, SPs, parallels, and numbered cards in one huge lot and HOPE for 10% BV. This process has made me realize that if I get back into the hobby full time again buying boxes is NOT the way to go. I will buy the singles I want from here on out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with them.

I always tell people -- and I have the bags in storage at the synagogue to prove this - we'll take ANY donation to use for our goodie bags for our non profit show at Adat Chaverim 2x a year. We can provide tax sheets (I sent to a couple of BMB users last month) and we are appreciative of what we receive.

If you are selling, I tell people the over production era is 10 for a penny wholesale with a few exceptions and for more modern base and insert cards --- you have to sell for no more than 10 cents on the dollar with a few player exceptions (Trout, etc)

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

Thanks all. This is the exact feedback I was looking for! I was thinking of the donation route, just never donated enough before to really be worth filling out a tax form before. I probably have close to six 5 thousand count boxes of baseball and football combined of the cards worth around 25 cents to $1 bv and then maybe two 3 thousand count boxes of 2 - 5 dollar bv cards. Donation might be the way to go. Not sure how I would get them to you though Rich? I'm in Omaha, NE area.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

(10-20-2016, 06:24 AM)woogie23 Wrote: Thanks all. This is the exact feedback I was looking for! I was thinking of the donation route, just never donated enough before to really be worth filling out a tax form before. I probably have close to six 5 thousand count boxes of baseball and football combined of the cards worth around 25 cents to $1 bv and then maybe two 3 thousand count boxes of 2 - 5 dollar bv cards. Donation might be the way to go. Not sure how I would get them to you though Rich? I'm in Omaha, NE area.
That's the biggest problem with cards from that era -- shipping is more than the frigging cards are worth. You can ship over time -- to reduce the one time outlay -- BUT the best part is that for tax purposes you can use (up to a certain dollar figure -- please check with your accountant or tax preparer) -- the full BV of the cards since it is a donation. Even if you use 5-10 cents each across the board that can give you a lot towards your potential refund.

If the PO still does -- if it fits, it ships boxes with the set prices you can neatly put a LOT of cards into those boxes and the price is the same no matter how many are in that box

I will PM you my address and we'll see what your best course is

Thanks!
Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.