Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My love / hate relationship with Allen Ginter

My love / hate relationship with Allen Ginter
So haven't picked up many cards lately.
After hitting a retail Bryant Auto in A&G about a month or 3 ago, figured I wouldn't push my luck. Bought a few Topps Chrome since with nothing interesting to show ... Same with some Stadium blasters... Nada. EBay has been slow, too. Lost a few bids on stuff that I really didn't need ... So I've been taking it really slow.

My Bryant auto is the reason for my Love of A&G ... Mini autos look great.

[Image: 83D58488-1EF2-449E-B542-7BEB6E5834B5_zpsexi65ahn.jpg]

The following 2 hits from this morning ... This exemplifies my Hate for A&G (I appreciate the Kang relic ... But McCoy?!?!)

[Image: ED5E8FF1-FB4C-4F76-BA2D-5D3B875DC256_zpsx1i6by3f.jpg]

I feel like a little baby, crying that I got a hit (waaaa Smile ) , but these rodeo cowboy hits are the reason I can't stand A&G ... As well as cards of bloggers, you tubers, reality TV 'stars' ... Really useless. IMO. I guess I'll stick to Gypsy Queen for the throwback look and mini auto/relic hits and steer clear of A&G

Picked up this 2014 A&G auto ... It's IP (allegedly) but looked authentic enough for me to take a chance. I might send it out to PSA, but no plans on resale, so might not bother after all.
[Image: B28FC177-8C9F-41A5-A26B-883399C19CCF_zpskiebzqdp.jpg]
How does it look to you guys?
I wanted a Koufax in a Brooklyn Uni, but this will do for now.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: My love / hate relationship with Allen Ginter
Funny you hate the Cowboy relics, as the relics and autos of non-baseball players are one of the reasons I like A&G. Sometimes they do stretch it a bit in terms of who they include, but I still find it fun to find out more info about the people. I actually prefer getting some of the non-baseball players over getting another "relic" card from a non-star player. I put relic in quotes, because the card companies have changed the wording now so that it's tough to say that the piece of material is from anything related to the player shown.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I hope you'll let us know how it turns out if you send the Koufax auto for authentication!

I try to build the base + 1 insert set every year just because I like the design and I can reliably add to my insert PC for certain players. Like you, I pulled a McCoy relic and was not thrilled. Smile Thankfully, I was able to trade it for set needs.

(09-13-2016, 12:07 PM)djohn Wrote: Funny you hate the Cowboy relics, as the relics and autos of non-baseball players are one of the reasons I like A&G. Sometimes they do stretch it a bit in terms of who they include, but I still find it fun to find out more info about the people. I actually prefer getting some of the non-baseball players over getting another "relic" card from a non-star player. I put relic in quotes, because the card companies have changed the wording now so that it's tough to say that the piece of material is from anything related to the player shown.
Same here - I agree that sometimes they stretch it, and I always wonder why they choose to feature some over others. Every so often, though, there's a relic on the checklist that seems so cool to me, like a piece of a reporter's notebook.

I agree with you on the A&G. My hits are so far in between it's not worth picking up anything new. To pick up stuff for my PC I will only eBay or trade for.

I dont like those type of cards either, I mean I only collect baseball........ For example in this case I have no clue about rodeo so why would i want a rodeo relic card??
Wasnt there a lochness monster relic or something like that a few years ago?? And dracula??
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I agree as well. I haven't bought any Ginter since 2014. I like the look and feel of Ginter but there are very, very few of the non sports cards that interest me. I did pull an Ed O'Neill auto in 2013 and loved ...Married with Children so I was happy with that but otherwise I haven't seen much else to pull me back in.

Nice Bryant though!

It is funny I happened upon this thread when I did. I just came off my own site to enjoy looking at my A&G Canseco run. I remember my first encounter with them. I love and loved them ... until I opened a hobby box, and 2 of the hits were a shirt from a bowling champion and a piece of flannel from a champion duck caller. I was confused & ticked.

To me, A&G really rolled out the red carpet for non baseball collectible cards for many mainstream collectors. It is why (for many) collecting tv personalities is cool and okay. I was down on them for it being kind of blah this year, but after I saw the Joses they added in, I was on board 100%.

The Koufax, btw ... looks GREAT! I am not speaking from an authenticity perspective ... purely aesthetically speaking. You can't get much better for IP's than A&G! Would def. look great slabbed.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

(09-13-2016, 12:07 PM)djohn Wrote: I put relic in quotes, because the card companies have changed the wording now so that it's tough to say that the piece of material is from anything related to the player shown.
If the "relic" isn't related to the player/person shown, then what's the point of it at all?
(09-13-2016, 12:28 PM)gotopes Wrote: I hope you'll let us know how it turns out if you send the Koufax auto for authentication!
Of course!
(09-13-2016, 12:58 PM)REDdad1 Wrote: I agree with you on the A&G. My hits are so far in between it's not worth picking up anything new. To pick up stuff for my PC I will only eBay or trade for.
Probably what I should do. Less frustrating and I'd probably save money over the long haul! Thanks.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(09-13-2016, 08:54 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: If the "relic" isn't related to the player/person shown, then what's the point of it at all?
The card companies could be doing it to trick people into thinking they are jersey pieces worn by the player depicted in an official MLB game. However the wording on cards is such that it could be a piece of a jersey bought at Walmart on clearance, and was never worn by anyone. Though sometimes they say "player worn" but don't specify that it's the player depicted on the card. Maybe I am just paranoid, or have read enough legalize to understand they are creating loopholes, but nowadays the wording on most cards regarding the authenticity of a "relic" is meaningless. I miss the times back when memorabilia cards first came out and card companies either included a picture of the item on the back of the card, or explicitly said what the item was and that is was worn by the player depicted on the card in an official MLB game. I guess this way they can include a piece of wood in a card and put a picture of Babe Ruth on the front, with no description of what the wood is from and people will just assume it's from a Babe Ruth bat.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-13-2016, 08:54 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: If the "relic" isn't related to the player/person shown, then what's the point of it at all?

Of course!

Probably what I should do. Less frustrating and I'd probably save money over the long haul! Thanks.
Definitely save money! I know I would always say "one more pack/box". But just finally got tired of what I considered bad cards.