`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTTF Piazza & inadvertent Cooperstown/hof review

WTTF Piazza & inadvertent Cooperstown/hof review
Looking for most of the 2016 Piazza stuff, as well as anything else I don't already have.
All my wants are marked. Thanks!
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

RE: WTTF Piazza
Offer sent. Thanks.
Collect Jeter, Mo Rivera, Aaron Judge, Gleyber Torres, and current Yanks Top Prospects.

Welcome back! How was the trip to Cooperstown?

(08-30-2016, 12:00 AM)sonic311 Wrote: Welcome back! How was the trip to Cooperstown?
It was outstanding. I was so glad to be there and I could not have been a prouder fan. I haven't had time to go thru the combined 1000 pictures my mom and I took, but soon! (We were waaaay too far during the ceremony itself, but had a great spot for the parade and got some good ones.)
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

That must have been an awesome trip, wish I could have been there. I'm sure I'm a little biased but that was one of the best induction speeches I've ever heard as well.
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

(09-01-2016, 07:08 PM)jason32rich Wrote: That must have been an awesome trip, wish I could have been there. I'm sure I'm a little biased but that was one of the best induction speeches I've ever heard as well.
He hit one out of the park for old time's sake, that's for sure. I get that Griffey was emotional, but his was such a dud even his fans were leaving during his. Piazza's was just pure class and heartfelt. That said I was glad I didn't make arrangements to stay for his number retirement on Saturday, in the rain, and that speech was not so hot. But still an awesome week to cap off an amazing career and legacy.

(09-01-2016, 11:44 PM)tate31nym Wrote: He hit one out of the park for old time's sake, that's for sure. I get that Griffey was emotional, but his was such a dud even his fans were leaving during his. Piazza's was just pure class and heartfelt. That said I was glad I didn't make arrangements to stay for his number retirement on Saturday, in the rain, and that speech was not so hot. But still an awesome week to cap off an amazing career and legacy.
Looking to head up there in 2018 for Chipper, any advice on planning?

RE: WTTF Piazza ~ cooperstown 2016 review
(09-02-2016, 07:32 AM)TheFett24 Wrote: Looking to head up there in 2018 for Chipper, any advice on planning?
We stayed in Amsterdam which was a 45ish minute trip each way, about 20-30 min on the Interstate and 20-30 minutes on country roads, but it was worth it and the hotel was very affordable (just the Super 8 right on the interstate, booked it the week they made the announcement) and the town had all the major things you might want (walmart, food, etc). If you're flying in, most people flew into Syracuse or Albany, but we flew into Newark, played in NYC for a few days, and then took Amtrak up to Amsterdam and rented a car there.

We bought chairs at Walmart so we didn't have to lug them from home and then just left them with some friends, but a lot of people just abandoned them there on the field and I guess they get donated or something by whoever does the clean up.

The parade on Saturday we got there around lunchtime and while there was already a lot of chairs set up, but because there was only 2 of us and my mom is super friendly we were able to wiggle our way up next to the barricades. Evidently most of the participants will sign autos after at the end of the route, which is basically in front of the post office so if that appeals to you, go early and get a spot there.

I would hope they will change this before 2018, but who knows, but my main gripe was I was of the impression I could go anytime before Sunday and drop off my chairs in order to have a spot for the ceremony. So even though we arrived Friday, we didn't rush out there. Then Saturday after the parade we walked to the field to put them out. So by the time we got out there, there was already several thousand chairs in place, but also by now there were these hired security people who would only let you put your chair in certain places (despite apparent room closer up, etc) and they were incredibly rude. So basically if you get there way early and "break the rules" you can sit wherever, but otherwise you're subject to the gestapo (seriously, they were awful). But maybe by 2018 they'll have a better system, like paint a grid so people know where the limits are or get the security out there sooner or whatever. Consequently we sat so far back we may as well have stayed in Idaho, but the big screen and sound system were very effective and we could still see and hear fine that way.

That said, if you do go early and leave chairs, make sure to leave something identifiable with them. The next morning (day of ceremony) there were 10x as many chairs, now all filled with people, and looking for where we left ours was the worst game of Where's Waldo ever. It took about 45 minutes to find them and that was only because I'd left a pink blanket with them. Otherwise, never would've happened.

I'd say buying the museum membership thing is well worth it, if for no other reason than you get to skip the huge line to get in each day. (of course there are more lines inside but also *air conditioning*). it also gives you like 10% off in the museum store and some other neat stuff (pins, buttons, etc).

we went in the museum sunday before the ceremony (had meant to go in saturday too but i forgot our membership card), then went to the ceremony, then went to dinner by the lake, then went back in the museum and got in line for when they reveal the plaques in the hall. I'm not a huge museum person so we went through it rather fast that morning, but you could easily spend a whole day in there if you're inclined to read and look at everything.

as far as parking, i'd heard about the town trolleys so we just looked for one when we first got to the town and then followed it to its parking lot, then just rode it to/from the pl to the museum ($2 a person for all day)

i'm not an auto seeker but the guy we sat next to during the parade said they spent most of friday hanging out near and on the golf course and got quite a few autos and encounters there. (there were people line up along the golf course fence throughout the weekend but evidently friday is one of the prime times)

hmm. they'll tell you the clark sports complex (where the ceremony is) is only "8 blocks" or something from the museum, but it's really like 2 miles.

anything else feel free to ask! it was a good time and we had very little idea of what to expect going in. i'm really glad we went (and so is my mom, even though she doesn't care about baseball - but she facilitated my addiction for so long as a child it was only fair that i brought her along for a fun vacation, this time on my dime!!!)