`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Serial Sets Card #1 better?

Serial Sets Card #1 better?
Hi all, just bought my first hobby box the other day and I pulled an Ozzie Smith Hallowed Highlights Autograph, #01/10.

The store owner told me that #1 is actually a good deal because there are lots of people who collect them. Sounds like an interesting thing to collect!

He also said that besides #1, people like to collect the player's number, which is also pretty interesting.

Either way, it was exciting to pull a x/10 card; it most surely was my lowest-set card I've ever gotten from a pack!

RE: Serial Sets Card #1 better?
Congrats on the pull!

As far as the collecting of which #, etc., it truly is personal preference. I've seen those that are the player's number go for much more (1/10 for Ozzie would more than likely sell a bit more than 2/10, etc.).

Either way it's a great card!

Happy Collecting!

Mark

You will get a mix of answers, as some people are adamant that their is no extra value, while others swear it's a significant increase in value. The fact is the desire for certain serial numbers started about 25 years ago when serial numbered cards first started coming out. Back then, getting a card numbered out of 10,000 was considered a low print run, and getting the 1st serial numbered card was pretty cool and desirable. Along with the 1st of the print run, the last of the print run, player's jersey number, and a bunch of other numbers (stats, birthdays, etc) became more desirable than just a random number. Now, it is fairly common to see a card numbered to 100 or less, and the desire for a particular serial number has dropped significantly. Part of the reason is because if there are only 10 of a card, then how much more valuable would a particular serial number be (1st, last, and jersey number could account for 1/3 of the cards printed). Thus while there are still some people that put a stigma of additional value for the first serial number and others, there are just as many people who could care less.
That being said, I personally love when I pull the 1st serial number for a card. However I don't really care about it for my personal collection.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(07-04-2016, 10:27 AM)djohn Wrote: You will get a mix of answers, as some people are adamant that their is no extra value, while others swear it's a significant increase in value. The fact is the desire for certain serial numbers started about 25 years ago when serial numbered cards first started coming out. Back then, getting a card numbered out of 10,000 was considered a low print run, and getting the 1st serial numbered card was pretty cool and desirable. Along with the 1st of the print run, the last of the print run, player's jersey number, and a bunch of other numbers (stats, birthdays, etc) became more desirable than just a random number. Now, it is fairly common to see a card numbered to 100 or less, and the desire for a particular serial number has dropped significantly. Part of the reason is because if there are only 10 of a card, then how much more valuable would a particular serial number be (1st, last, and jersey number could account for 1/3 of the cards printed). Thus while there are still some people that put a stigma of additional value for the first serial number and others, there are just as many people who could care less.
That being said, I personally love when I pull the 1st serial number for a card. However I don't really care about it for my personal collection.
+1/10

I agree. I have a few 1/? in my collection that I've come across accidentally. I wouldn't pay a premium to have one but still think it's kind of cool.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The lower the print run, the less of a premium the first numbered card should bring. So a card #'d 001/100 or 0001/1000 earns a greater premium than a card #'d 01/10.

The same should occur with graded cards - the smaller the print run, the less important the grade is.

You may have other people argue otherwise, but these people are most likely to be trying to sell you something, so just use common sense!
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(07-04-2016, 05:01 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: The lower the print run, the less of a premium the first numbered card should bring. So a card #'d 001/100 or 0001/1000 earns a greater premium than a card #'d 01/10.

The same should occur with graded cards - the smaller the print run, the less important the grade is.

You may have other people argue otherwise, but these people are most likely to be trying to sell you something, so just use common sense!
100% agree.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Personally, I don't give them any additional value for the reasons others have stated. But I do think they are a fun little bonus anytime one comes along.
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

(07-04-2016, 06:25 AM)maximib Wrote: Hi all, just bought my first hobby box the other day and I pulled an Ozzie Smith Hallowed Highlights Autograph, #01/10.

The store owner told me that #1 is actually a good deal because there are lots of people who collect them. Sounds like an interesting thing to collect!

He also said that besides #1, people like to collect the player's number, which is also pretty interesting.

Either way, it was exciting to pull a x/10 card; it most surely was my lowest-set card I've ever gotten from a pack!
The store owner is on target. Whenever a segment of collectors have an interest, it is significant.

On a personal level, other than a "cool" factor, #1 of a serial #'d card has no significance. Others feel the exact opposite and will try to sell their cards at a premium. Like hlc1949 pointed out (as others have), depends on the "who" and how many in regards to demand and therefore a premium a card might hold.

Congrats on the really nice hit!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Everything is worth as much as someone pays for it. That's how supply/demand works. I've paid a little more for players I really like, but it doesn't happen often.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.