`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who's your most disappointing player so far?

RE: Who's your most disappointing player so far?
(05-03-2016, 11:48 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'm starting to feel a little disheartened with my newbie PC guy ... Luis Severino. 0-4 so far, which in part you can blame the Yankees lack of production, but his ERA is not that good, and he's looking inconsistent. Perhaps it's time for a reevaluation of Larry Rothschild? You can't blame the pitching coach for all their woes, but most of the Staff, Pineda, Nova, CC, Tanaka, Betances are looking flat and teams are using them for batting practice. Andrew Miller looks good, and Chapman can start playing soon, but closers aren't that valuable unless your team gives them a lead to save.
I've been watching Severino a lot myself. It appears he's in an impossible situation with the lack luster effort most of his team is putting forth. He's a young ace on an aging team and right now they can't produce runs. I think the best thing for the kid would be to be sent down to the minors to build some confidence back up because getting tee'd off on while getting zero run support isn't going to do him any good mentally.

what about the astros in general???
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(05-04-2016, 07:17 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: I've been watching Severino a lot myself. It appears he's in an impossible situation with the lack luster effort most of his team is putting forth. He's a young ace on an aging team and right now they can't produce runs. I think the best thing for the kid would be to be sent down to the minors to build some confidence back up because getting tee'd off on while getting zero run support isn't gojng to do him any good mentally.
I'm not sure what will save him.
Maybe trade Severino to The Giants and let Dave Righetti straighten him out. He's a great pitching coach. I'd rather see Severino reach his potential on another team than to languish on the Yankees. I've been a Yankees fan my whole life, and have lived through some rough times, but they're just looking really bad ... Sure, I can be more optimistic, but I'm too old & experienced to lie to myself. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Is "Twins" an acceptable answer?

I knew that based on statistics - both standard and advanced - that last year was an anomaly that wouldn't likely be repeated, but YIKES! They are horribly bad this year.

They're also showing zero consistency in how players are treated.

Buxton scuffled mightily and was essentially benched and then sent down to AAA - mainly to work on actually making contact. Meanwhile, Eddie Rosario has continued to be awful - .188 BA, 3 BBs in 91 PAs, 26% K rate. Granted, he's lost some time to Oswaldo Arcia and Danny Santana, but I think he's still viewed as a regular.

Molitor deemed Kepler as "not ready" based on 14 PAs in 2 weeks. He's probably not, but it's not like his presence in the lineup for a couple of weeks was really going to make the season go much worse. Nothing to lose my putting him out there every day and seeing what he's got. It's his final option year, it's time to find out.

Alex Meyer had been starting in AAA and doing really well. They called him up, let him warm up in the bullpen a few times, but didn't bother using him until 5 days after his promotion in a mop-up role in preparation for his Tuesday start, which by all accounts wasn't a smashing success. However, he did manage to strike out the side in the 2nd. In the 3rd they put a couple runs up and had a runner on third with no outs, but he managed to get the next two guys and then was replaced by Tommy Milone - who ended up giving up just as many runs. Immediately after the game, they sent Meyer back down.

Last night Phil Hughes was allowed to be Phil Hughes for 2 innings - to the tune of 6 runs. And then Molitor turned the game over the school bus fire that's the current bullpen.

So, if I'm not allowed to put a whole team on the biggest disappointment list, I'm going to go with Terry Ryan and Paul Molitor for putting together and mismanaging a roster of young players, over-valued veterans (Perkins, Dozier, Plouffe) and other players that wouldn't crack the lineup for the Sugarland Skeeters.
Kepler

I hope this question can go back to spring training........

..............Rusney Castillo........Mic dropped...........walking away.

(05-05-2016, 09:20 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Is "Twins" an acceptable answer?

I knew that based on statistics - both standard and advanced - that last year was an anomaly that wouldn't likely be repeated, but YIKES! They are horribly bad this year.

They're also showing zero consistency in how players are treated.

Buxton scuffled mightily and was essentially benched and then sent down to AAA - mainly to work on actually making contact. Meanwhile, Eddie Rosario has continued to be awful - .188 BA, 3 BBs in 91 PAs, 26% K rate. Granted, he's lost some time to Oswaldo Arcia and Danny Santana, but I think he's still viewed as a regular.

Molitor deemed Kepler as "not ready" based on 14 PAs in 2 weeks. He's probably not, but it's not like his presence in the lineup for a couple of weeks was really going to make the season go much worse. Nothing to lose my putting him out there every day and seeing what he's got. It's his final option year, it's time to find out.

Alex Meyer had been starting in AAA and doing really well. They called him up, let him warm up in the bullpen a few times, but didn't bother using him until 5 days after his promotion in a mop-up role in preparation for his Tuesday start, which by all accounts wasn't a smashing success. However, he did manage to strike out the side in the 2nd. In the 3rd they put a couple runs up and had a runner on third with no outs, but he managed to get the next two guys and then was replaced by Tommy Milone - who ended up giving up just as many runs. Immediately after the game, they sent Meyer back down.

Last night Phil Hughes was allowed to be Phil Hughes for 2 innings - to the tune of 6 runs. And then Molitor turned the game over the school bus fire that's the current bullpen.

So, if I'm not allowed to put a whole team on the biggest disappointment list, I'm going to go with Terry Ryan and Paul Molitor for putting together and mismanaging a roster of young players, over-valued veterans (Perkins, Dozier, Plouffe) and other players that wouldn't crack the lineup for the Sugarland Skeeters.
I feel your pain. Except your teams disappointment keeps my teams disappointment from feeling as horrible, just slightly. We're in the basement together, but 7 games out feels better than 14 games out. Neither team looks to be contenders, but being the optimist that I am, anything is possible this early in the season.
If it makes you feel a little better, the Angels have Mike 'freakin' Trout and are right there with us. So rookies and minor league setbacks or aging veterans or All Stars and MVP's ... It doesn't matter .... We're all in the basement together.
When I first got back into collecting, I started PCing Ubaldo Jimenez. (I have no idea why ... Maybe it was his signature ?) I have probably around 100 +/- higher end / lower number autos. In 2013 I became a little disenchanted and disappointed in his performance as a starting pitcher. I started a PC of a new player, Casey Kelly, first round draft pick, involved in a blockbuster trade which brought Adrian Gonzalez to the BoSox. I also have about 100 +/- higher end - lower numbered autos of him. Disappointedly, he's been stuck in too many injury setbacks and AAA demotions. He may never pitch again in the majors.
So I guess I have some player disappointments that are tied into my cardboard prospecting. Ubaldo still has some 'legs' in the Bigs, but Casey is looking worse.
Other players that I started collecting and never 'made it big' are Arismendy Alcatara & Brett Jackson. Two Cubbies that had awesome autograph style and lackluster on-field performance. Although, with the way the Cubs are playing, they still have a shot at being late season call ups before a World Series run. Slightly optimistic?!? Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(04-24-2016, 09:42 AM)garrisc Wrote: Rizzo, Russell and Soler.
I had some high hopes for Soler and started collecting the heck out of him about a year ago. At least I'm only hundreds of dollars in, not millions.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Sonny Gray's last three starts haven't been good at all. Currently sitting on a 6.00 ERA through 39 innings. Ugh. Yuck. Terrible.

David Price hasn't been good, which I'm kinda okay with since he's in Boston now. Wink

I expected a little more from Correa to this point. Hasn't been terrible but just hasn't met my expectations thus far this season. He is currently my favorite player, so I'm gonna need him to step it up soon lol.

Joc Pederson hasn't been terrible, but I'd like to see him get more starts vs. lefties, and also get the power numbers and steals up.

Oh, most disappointing though, losing Schwarber for the season :/

Huge Stanton fan (and collector) and agree with your sentiments. I think the real issue is not having much protection in the LU. Stanton doesn't see a lot of good pitches to hit, so he tries to make pitches to hit. I think he'll right the ship and end up with 40+HR this season.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(05-13-2016, 06:59 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Huge Stanton fan (and collector) and agree with your sentiments. I think the real issue is not having much protection in the LU. Stanton doesn't see a lot of good pitches to hit, so he tries to make pitches to hit. I think he'll right the ship and end up with 40+HR this season.
I'm hoping so. He had a nice little run for a couple of weeks but he's sliding again.