`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puig Superfractor

RE: Puig Superfractor
This card is a little off-center, but at worst, I see a 9. I have had hundreds graded. I could definitely see another grader giving it a 9. It is not a 9.5. For instance, I pulled a Young Guns McDavid out of a Wal-Mart pack the other day. Card has a nice surface, nice edges, centering is strong, but one one corner it has a speck, and when I say speck I mean you need a magnifying glass to see it, of white. Beckett will give it an 8 or 8.5. It deserves a 9 or 9.5. It is the only flaw, and even the standard for a 9.5 allows for such a flaw. It would only takes corners down, at most, a point. That would be harsh. But that is how they grade. The difference between an 8.5 and a 9 is $100.

What's a young guns McDavid?

On a side note, I've never had an issue with Beckett's grading. I bought several high powered magnification pieces and thoroughly inspect cards before I bother sending them in. Looking through a magnifying glass is fine but you'll miss a good deal issues, in particular edge and corner imperfections you couldn't see by eye or low powered magnification. Obviously your going to be upset if you determine the grade of a card as absolute before it ever actually gets graded. Grading is EXTREMELY subjective but far more often than not, accurate. I find the individuals who feel that they know better than the grading agencies are also the individuals that feel their cards are far more valuable than fair market value.

Conner McDavid, Oilers rookie. Beckett ruined a Jordan/LeBron Exquisite Dual auto /20 of mine. Sent it in, graded at 8.5, they didn't seal it properly and the edges got destroyed. These graders aren't Gods. They knocked my grade down a full point, because of their error, and gave me $300 in free grading, so I am aware of their sometimes shoddy work. I don't feel the Puig is far more valuable than fair market, but $100? C'mon. The grading was $30 or $40. I won't send anything in if there is noticeable damage. I would not waste their time or my money. If there's a major ding, it doesn't get graded. McDavid Guns at 10s are selling for thousands. Nines are selling well. Those at 8.5 are barely getting $150. They are comparing him to Gretzky. You can't defend them to me. They know what they are doing. They control the market. Half points mean thousands in some cases. I want $400 for the Puig, but I will wait to see if he rebounds. I have 10 Jordan autos. I am no stranger to grading or the profession. I just feel the number depends on the grader from day to day. Guidelines state exactly what is acceptable to receive each grade. The Puig should have been a 9, but I will live with it and try and move it at the 8.5. No need to belittle here. I just asked for advice. I was using the hockey card as an example. I know it is a baseball post, but I was trying to make a point. You did know who McDavid was right?

(02-03-2016, 03:35 PM)cvfaris Wrote: Conner McDavid, Oilers rookie. Beckett ruined a Jordan/LeBron Exquisite Dual auto /20 of mine. Sent it in, graded at 8.5, they didn't seal it properly and the edges got destroyed. These graders aren't Gods. They knocked my grade down a full point, because of their error, and gave me $300 in free grading, so I am aware of their sometimes shoddy work. I don't feel the Puig is far more valuable than fair market, but $100? C'mon. The grading was $30 or $40. I won't send anything in if there is noticeable damage. I would not waste their time or my money. If there's a major ding, it doesn't get graded. McDavid Guns at 10s are selling for thousands. Nines are selling well. Those at 8.5 are barely getting $150. They are comparing him to Gretzky. You can't defend them to me. They know what they are doing. They control the market. Half points mean thousands in some cases. I want $400 for the Puig, but I will wait to see if he rebounds. I have 10 Jordan autos. I am no stranger to grading or the profession. I just feel the number depends on the grader from day to day. Guidelines state exactly what is acceptable to receive each grade. The Puig should have been a 9, but I will live with it and try and move it at the 8.5. No need to belittle here. I just asked for advice. I was using the hockey card as an example. I know it is a baseball post, but I was trying to make a point. You did know who McDavid was right?
Nope. No clue. I've heard the name but couldn't have told you he was an Oiler. I don't watch a second of Hockey. I lived next door to Terry O'Reilly for 4 years and didn't know who he was for two. I knew the name in relation to hockey but I had no clue he was THAT Terry O'Reilly. His wife said he liked me because I never bugged him about his hockey career.

I was not trying to belittle you. I was speaking in generalities. It DOES depend on the grader, from day to day. Again, grading is extremely subjective and those "guidelines" you speak of are open to interpretation for Beckett, PSA and SGC employees. There is no way around that because there is no way possible you can get every single grader to view a card the exact same way. They're human. It isn't going to happen. And no, they aren't gods but their grading is accepted by the vast majority of collectors and is the industries leader in grading. I don't want or need to defend them to you. Your still submitting to them. The issue with your damaged card is extremely unfortunate but it does happen. It just happened to BGS graded card guy (Pete). It sucks it happened but I don't know any company with a 100% success rate.

As for your Puig... I can understand it being an investment and you really need to see "X" dollars. However, right now, that's a $150 card. How much you payed for grading is completely irrelevant and does not affect the price of a card in any way (* see any 1987 Topps PSA 10). I'm not trying to be harsh or devalue your card. It's just what it is right now. I haven't checked out your subgrades but I'm guessing it has edge issues, as microscopic as they might be. Cards like that usually do. You keep writing things like the Puig IS a 9, your aware of Beckett's shoddy work, they control the market? You feel you know better than the grading agency. Your always going to feel like your cards should grade better and that they are worth more. And that's okay but don't blame it on Beckett or PSA or SGC when they're not.

Just another quick note, I'm not sure what the "they're comparing him to Gretzky" comment was suppose to emphasize but every year in every sport you have prospects and rc's being compared to Gretzky, Jordan, Koufax, Ruth, Montana, etc, etc, etc. Every freaking year. None ever prove to be that guy. I think that you'd find if you studied most population reports is that there is plenty of 9.5's and 10's to go around.
Bryce Harper was as highly regarded as a player as I've ever heard of as far back as high school. Everyone anticipated his arrival.
I think we can all agree Bowman Chrome prospect auto's are the most sought after..
2011 Bowman Chrome
1078 Base auto's graded
660 9.5's
37 10's
64.6% graded gem mint or better

Mike Trout
2009 Bowman Chrome
481 Base auto's graded
276 9.5's
19 10's
61.3% graded gem mint or better

Now the reason I threw Trout in was because he wasn't suppose to be as good as he is yet his numbers are actually lower than Harper's, but both extremely high.

There's no conspiracy here when 2 out of 3 are gem mint or better.

Thanks again. I do value your opinions. That is why I posted here. Keep an eye out. If you know of anyone interested, let me know. In the meantime, I will adjust the auction. Thanks for all the advice.

(02-03-2016, 05:04 PM)cvfaris Wrote: Thanks again. I do value your opinions. That is why I posted here. Keep an eye out. If you know of anyone interested, let me know. In the meantime, I will adjust the auction. Thanks for all the advice.
Hey before I jump off I have to say, it is your card. Only you know what is an acceptable sale price. Reading things online can be misinterpreted. I meant no disrespect. If you honestly feel that it is a $750 card then hold your ground. I'm just trying to give you a view point from an outsider looking in.

I hear ya. Thanks for everything. I will take the advice and run with it. Hey, we are all trying to get the most out of our investments. I appreciate the time.