`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1993 Mattingly Then and Now Error

1993 Mattingly Then and Now Error
I have this card, however on mine the picture is Don Mattingly and the hologram is actually the Mickey Mantle Then and Now card. Anyone seen this before? Value? Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 1993 Mattingly Then and Now Error
(01-30-2016, 03:14 PM)jkettles Wrote: I have this card, however on mine the picture is Don Mattingly and the hologram is actually the Mickey Mantle Then and Now card. Anyone seen this before? Value? Any help would be appreciated!
Well..... Mantle was the "Then" And Mattingly is the "Now". Uh, duh...... j/k. lol.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I have never seen it, but it would be a pretty interesting error if it is one. It could've been a promo card, but not sure why they would've used the "Then" picture of Mattingly with the "Now" hologram of Mantle.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Definitely looks like an error...although I'm thinking it might be more accurate to call it a miscut. It looks to me like the bottom of the card is just barely starting to show what appears to be the top of the Mattingly"Now" picture. And if you look at other Mantle cards, seems like yours actually shows more of Mickey than others. Betting these were one after the other on the sheet and during the print run images somehow became misaligned which resulted in the "error." At least that's my theory!

(01-31-2016, 10:47 AM)trojans134 Wrote: Definitely looks like an error...although I'm thinking it might be more accurate to call it a miscut. It looks to me like the bottom of the card is just barely starting to show what appears to be the top of the Mattingly"Now" picture. And if you look at other Mantle cards, seems like yours actually shows more of Mickey than others. Betting these were one after the other on the sheet and during the print run images somehow became misaligned which resulted in the "error." At least that's my theory!
Good call, I didn't even notice that at the bottom. I would call it a misalignment and not a miscut. As the error has to do with the printing of the foil and image over the base hologram card which was misaligned when printed.
That being said, it is actually a pretty cool looking card. I am curious as to what the back says, is it a Mattingly back, a Mantle back, or something else.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thanks for the info and the thoughts! The back is the Mattingly card.