`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Of The Year discussion

Rookie Of The Year discussion
As you all know by now, Bryant and Correa are the 2015 ROY recipients. What looks to be a great AL/NL combo. Which got me thinking about the last time both picks were as strong, with the 'staying power' and possible HOF career potential.
2012 of course gave us Harper & Trout. Very respectable with good chances for the parameters I set.
Then we have to jump to 2001 with Pujols and Ichiro, 2 very likely HOF worthy careers.
It's very rare that it happens at all. As far as I can tell, only thrice. (Unless I missed some folks)
1977 was the last time with Andre Dawson & Eddie Murray.
Then we have to jump to 1967 where 2 ROY award winners both made it to the Hall. That year's winners were Tom Seaver & Rod Carew.
before that, 1956 Frank Robinson & Luis Aparecio achieved ROY fame together, later to be inducted into the Hall.

I noticed a ROY distinction while looking through records.
The following are the teams with the longest continual streaks of ROY production years.
5 year Streak Dodgers 1992-1996 (Karros, Piazza, Mondesi, Nomo, Hollandsworth)
4 year streak Dodgers 1979-1982 (Suttcliffe, Howe, Valenzuela, Sax)
3 year streak Oakland 1986-1988 (McGwire, Canseco, Weiss)
Wow ... I just realized after I posted that in 18 years from 1979 through 1996 half of the ROY winners were from the Dodgers organization! Incredible!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Rookie Of The Year discussion
(11-19-2015, 06:53 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: As you all know by now, Bryant and Correa are the 2015 ROY recipients. What looks to be a great AL/NL combo.
No, I didn't know. That's great, though.

Thanks for sharing.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I actually remember that Dodger dynasty of rookies of the year! It was pretty impressive, they left nothing out there for the rest!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

WORST ROY
.250/.312/.321, 3 HR, 39 RBI

The light-hitting shortstop Walt Weiss was drafted 11th overall by the Oakland Athletics in 1985 and spent 14 seasons in the MLB.

His .250 batting average and 2.6 WAR were enough to earn him 17 of the 31 first place votes for Rookie of the Year in 1988, yet surprisingly, his .633 OPS was the lowest of the four offensive candidates in 1988.

A weak pool of AL RoY contenders watered down the significance of Weiss' achievement. He didn't steal many bases (4), score many runs (44) or hit many extra-base hits (23).

Still, Weiss collected the award given to the best rookie in each league and the dubious honor of the worst MLB Rookie of the Year season of all time.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA
1985 21 CHW AL 150 513 491 71 134 21 9 1 33 7 4 12 36 .273
OBP

That was Ozzie Guillens line in 85
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(11-19-2015, 11:04 AM)buckles2335 Wrote: WORST ROY
.250/.312/.321, 3 HR, 39 RBI
The light-hitting shortstop Walt Weiss was drafted 11th overall by the Oakland Athletics in 1985 and spent 14 seasons in the MLB.
His .250 batting average and 2.6 WAR were enough to earn him 17 of the 31 first place votes for Rookie of the Year in 1988, yet surprisingly, his .633 OPS was the lowest of the four offensive candidates in 1988.
A weak pool of AL RoY contenders watered down the significance of Weiss' achievement. He didn't steal many bases (4), score many runs (44) or hit many extra-base hits (23).
Still, Weiss collected the award given to the best rookie in each league and the dubious honor of the worst MLB Rookie of the Year season of all time.
Agreed. That choice in 1988 left me scratching my head in bewilderment!
(11-19-2015, 10:11 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: No, I didn't know. That's great, though.
Thanks for sharing.
Glad I could spread the word, just hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.
Perhaps a spoiler warning should have been issued for those NOT wanting to know? Smile
(11-19-2015, 11:11 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA
1985 21 CHW AL 150 513 491 71 134 21 9 1 33 7 4 12 36 .273
OBP
That was Ozzie Guillens line in 85
Ozzie was certainly in contention for worst ROY, too. Very unimpressive numbers indeed!
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Very interesting observation DrM.....just goes to show you that a great / good rookie year doesn't equate to HOF induction. We have been blessed with a great influx of talent the past couple of years and kind of forget that a typical rookie class in a given year are pretty so /so. Funny how the Dodgers ROY runs only equated to 1 WS title (1981 doesn't count in my book...strike shortened season) from 1979 - 1996.

Hey, just last week pulled a Correa auto out of retail Update.....nice!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(11-20-2015, 12:53 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Very interesting observation DrM.....just goes to show you that a great / good rookie year doesn't equate to HOF induction. We have been blessed with a great influx of talent the past couple of years and kind of forget that a typical rookie class in a given year are pretty so /so. Funny how the Dodgers ROY runs only equated to 1 WS title (1981 doesn't count in my book...strike shortened season) from 1979 - 1996.

Hey, just last week pulled a Correa auto out of retail Update.....nice!
Hiya, Joe!
Thanks. Yeah, throughout the history of baseball there have been more ROYs that crashed and burned rather than succeeded. If I were a superstitious guy, being annointed ROY would be considered more of a curse than a blessing.

Sweet retail pull, buddy. Hold onto that one! Could he be the next Jeter? He certainly has potential.
The best retail Correa hit for me (so far) was a Heritage Update Bazooka mini (nice BV). Haven't found any autos of him yet. But then again, it's been a really tough year and haven't been buying half as much compared to previous years. So the odds are not in my favor. Sad
In fact, probably not going to be enjoying the great Black Friday deals, like in years past. Maybe next year if I can.