`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1954 Topps.....one day I will complete it......

1954 Topps.....one day I will complete it......
So when I was a young kid I started collecting baseball cards. It was something that my father and I would do together, and we both always had a lot of fun doing it, probably some of my fondest memories as a child. Well I remember my dad coming home from work one day, I was probably about 10 or 11, and he had a couple cards for me. As it turned out a friend of my dad's from his work gave me a couple cards for my collection....in hindsight I am sure my dad and him worked out a deal. But what I was given was the coolest 3 cards I had ever seen at that age. At that point I was probably putting together my 2nd or 3rd hand collated set of 1988 Topps. Smile

It was 3 1954 Topps cards of players even I at that young age knew who they were. It was Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, and Duke Snider. To say I was excited was a understatement. I remember staring at these cards for what seemed to be days and weeks and months. I didn't care how creased they were, or how faded they were, if the corners were rounded, or even that they were in cases and I couldn't touch them. All I knew is that they were the coolest things I had ever seen.

I decided years later, when I was still collecting cards and in my 20's, that my plan was to one day put this set together. I have been working on it over the past few years, picking up some when I can. I am now up to about 110 of the 250 card set. I just thought I'd take a moment and share with you all the 3 cards that captured my imagination as a child and still to this day makes 1954 Topps my favorite design and set. I'm adding in some of my more recent additions as well. Obviously if you ever come across some extra 1954 Topps laying around.....let me know Smile

[Image: 20150821_201426_zpsp1z2vnmj.jpg]

[Image: 20150821_194625_zpscujyvp6j.jpg]

[Image: 20150821_195321_zps1qx7mrot.jpg]

RE: 1954 Topps.....one day I will complete it......
Good luck finishing the set and thanks for the story!

One of the greatest sets of all time. Good luck on your project bud.

Yes, thanks for the story and the scans. I have great memories of me and my dad watching and talking baseball too. He's been gone for almost 35 years and I still miss him.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Awesome! Glad to see other vintage collectors. My dream set is 1952 Topps and I'm a ways off. Getting that '52 Mantle is going to be, expensive haha.

Good luck and I hope you complete the set!

Love these!!! good luck putting together the rest of the set!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Nice stuff! I'm one card away from completing my '54 set: Gil Hodges, and he's on the way Smile
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

(08-22-2015, 09:39 AM)thepointguard_10 Wrote: Nice stuff! I'm one card away from completing my '54 set: Gil Hodges, and he's on the way Smile
That's awesome! That'Hodges is a sweet card. Congratulations on the set! I'll let you know when I get there .

Great story and wish you the best on finishing that set soon. The 54' has a great design, nice looking cards. That is a project that I plan on working next year. The Aaron and Banks are the cards that will hold me back. I do have about 80 cards, so I do have a start, but no stars except for Ted Williams.