`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember when pitchers would go deeper into games?

RE: Remember when pitchers would go deeper into games?
(08-20-2015, 03:31 PM)GoStros Wrote: Not really sure what you mean by resurgence? Here is his career stats. Looks fairly consistent to me.

[Image: ryan.jpg]
Well, take a look at his career averages in K's. In his most productive years, between the ages of 25 and 30 (6 seasons), he averaged 322 K's a season.

Between the ages of 34 and 39 (6 seasons), that average dropped all the way down to 194 a season.

Then, after turning 40 years of age and teaming up with Tom House, it all of a sudden went back up. Between the ages of 40 and 45 (6 seasons), he averaged 231 K's. He also threw 2 no hitters as a power pitcher in that time span as well.

See how the career arch went slowly downward before shooting right back up? That just doesn't happen. Sure, a player can have a one off season at the end of their career, but when you average it out, you just don't see a player playing that good that deep into his career, year after year.

But maybe he was just one of a kind? I don't know. But I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if we found out that he screwed around with stuff at the end of his career. I'm not sure I would really care all that much though because in the late 80's and early 90's players and the general public didn't look at them like we do now. It wasn't the "great evil" that they've become. It's sort of like looking at people smoking cigarettes back in the 1930's. No one really knew what they were doing back then, so we let it slide.