`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1996-97 Flair Showcase Hot Shot error Michael Jordan

1996-97 Flair Showcase Hot Shot error Michael Jordan
I have a 1996-97 Flair Hot Shots 1 out of 20 Michael Jordan that is an error card. It has Michael Jordan on the front but with Antonio McDyess name. The back of card is correct. I would like to know how rare of an error this is and why Beckett doesn't have them listed. Would appreciate any information regarding this error. Thanks (see attached pictures below)

Attached Files
.pdf   Picture 12.pdf (Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 16)

RE: 1996-97 Flair Showcase Hot Shot error Michael Jordan
It's probably garbage, send it to me. I guess I'll take it off your hands for ya!

lol

This is a printing flaw, and not an "error"; the foil was not aligned properly on the sheet, thus the Jordan card got the foil that was meant for the McDyess card. Typically printing flaws don't command a premium and aren't listed separately in Beckett unless they occur on a notable percentage of a card. That being said, this is a nice 90s Jordan insert, so I am sure there will be some collectors willing to pay a premium for the card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I haven't seen one of those, but it might fit in a niche collector's world.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(07-20-2015, 09:40 PM)altz11 Wrote: It's probably garbage, send it to me. I guess I'll take it off your hands for ya!

lol

Considering that the Shaquille O'Neal Hot Shot with the print error Michael Jordan just sold for $400 on eBay--you are right, Michael Jordan is just a mediocre player. I might as well to throw it in the garbage.
(07-21-2015, 08:50 AM)djohn Wrote: This is a printing flaw, and not an "error"; the foil was not aligned properly on the sheet, thus the Jordan card got the foil that was meant for the McDyess card. Typically printing flaws don't command a premium and aren't listed separately in Beckett unless they occur on a notable percentage of a card. That being said, this is a nice 90s Jordan insert, so I am sure there will be some collectors willing to pay a premium for the card.

I agree it's a printing error. Considering that the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Baseball #163A Barry Bonds Error Card. The first print run featured Johnny Ray, Bonds’ Pirates teammate instead of the great slugger. Donruss quickly caught their error making this an extremely rare card. The card ranges from $500 to $2,000. Considering this is "just" a printing error of a mediocre basketball player, I should just throw this in the garbage

P.S. For your information, the printing error cards can be some the greatest rarities in the card collectiong field (similar to currency, coins and stamps), when I posted this card, I just wanted to find out if other people had this card. I have only found one after 20 years of searching.

(07-21-2015, 10:56 AM)Thor99 Wrote: I agree it's a printing error. Considering that the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Baseball #163A Barry Bonds Error Card. The first print run featured Johnny Ray, Bonds’ Pirates teammate instead of the great slugger. Donruss quickly caught their error making this an extremely rare card. The card ranges from $500 to $2,000. Considering this is "just" a printing error of a mediocre basketball player, I should just throw this in the garbage

P.S. For your information, the printing error cards can be some the greatest rarities in the card collectiong field (similar to currency, coins and stamps), when I posted this card, I just wanted to find out if other people had this card. I have only found one after 20 years of searching.
The Barry Bonds 1987 Donruss Opening Day card is a true error, in the sense that the card was purposely made that way before Donruss realized it and corrected the card. Your Jordan card is a true printing flaw, in that it was never meant to be made that way, and probably happened on just a few cards (possibly 1 sheet was misaligned). This type of printing flaw has been happening regularly since foil was introduced on cards in the early 90s. Aside from foil related printing flaws, there have been blank back, blank front, and other printer related flaws. The general consensus is that printing flaws do not add value and are less collectable. However there are hardcore collectors, particularly player collectors that will pay a premium for them. The more popular the player, the more of a premium one can get. Thus for your Jordan card you should be able to get a nice premium over what it would normally sell for if it didn't have the printing flaw. The fact that it doesn't look like there were very many of these cards (you could have the only one) to have this printing flaw will only add to the premium someone might pay. I never said you should throw it in the garbage, though others did say that (I am sure it was in jest and sarcasm, which is hard to read in a forum thread).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

This was actually a good printing "error" set to find. There are definitely more than one sheet of these cards that got out with the different name on them. They are quite a good insert card to have as a normal version, and for the error versions as well for us player collectors. Sometimes they DO carry a premium. I disagree this might be an alignment error, but pricing for such cards for this set SHOULD be listed by Beckett (as the argument above^^) that they were "purposely made" before the error was caught and corrected. More than just one out there for sure, as I have several!
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

(07-21-2015, 12:44 PM)djohn Wrote: The Barry Bonds 1987 Donruss Opening Day card is a true error, in the sense that the card was purposely made that way before Donruss realized it and corrected the card. Your Jordan card is a true printing flaw, in that it was never meant to be made that way, and probably happened on just a few cards (possibly 1 sheet was misaligned). This type of printing flaw has been happening regularly since foil was introduced on cards in the early 90s. Aside from foil related printing flaws, there have been blank back, blank front, and other printer related flaws. The general consensus is that printing flaws do not add value and are less collectable. However there are hardcore collectors, particularly player collectors that will pay a premium for them. The more popular the player, the more of a premium one can get. Thus for your Jordan card you should be able to get a nice premium over what it would normally sell for if it didn't have the printing flaw. The fact that it doesn't look like there were very many of these cards (you could have the only one) to have this printing flaw will only add to the premium someone might pay. I never said you should throw it in the garbage, though others did say that (I am sure it was in jest and sarcasm, which is hard to read in a forum thread).

Thank you for your insight and considering that this error card pertains to the greatest basketball player of all time, it should be considerably valuable.
Especially since it may be 1 of 1.

(07-21-2015, 02:04 PM)Thor99 Wrote: Thank you for your insight and considering that this error card pertains to the greatest basketball player of all time, it should be considerably valuable.
Especially since it may be 1 of 1.
Definitely not 1/1 as I have 3 of the MJ with wrong name, and 2 of the MJ name with different player.

Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

For the record Thor, I was joking.