`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Costa's interview with Bench, Aaron, Koufax & Mays

Costa's interview with Bench, Aaron, Koufax & Mays
Did all of you watch Bob Costa's interview with Bench, Aaron, Koufax and Mays tonight?? If you didn't you missed an awesome interview. I even learned things from listening to all four of them. For example, Koufax was taking about his curve ball and Bench asked him how many revolutions it made from when he released it to the plate. Koufax's answer was a normal curve would make 11 revoulutions, a bad one 9 and his when he threw it right made 13. Again, it was a great show and I'm really, REALLY glad I watch. It's not often you have 4 Hall Of Famers talking baseball in a relaxed setting.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

RE: Costa's interview with Bench, Aaron, Koufax & Mays
Yes, it was awesome!!
Mostly football and a set builder

Watched it eating dinner. Not a fan of Bob's with play by play but he is an ecellent interviewer who let the guys talk. It was nice seeing Hank smile and joke, and the good nature teasing and respect they had for each other made for a very enjoyable watch. A+++ television.. (nice thread OP)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-17-2015, 11:29 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Watched it eating dinner. Not a fan of Bob's with play by play but he is an ecellent interviewer who let the guys talk. It was nice seeing Hank smile and joke, and the good nature teasing and respect they had for each other made for a very enjoyable watch. A+++ television.. (nice thread OP)
Yes, I truly enjoyed the byplay between them. I really got a kick out of Mays & Koufax when Mays said Koufax threw him a slider one time. Koufax's response was "I never threw you a slider." and Mays came right back at him. I agree with you A+++ television, I watch a lot of baseball and really enjoy any game I watch, but I must say I can't remember any show that I liked more than this one. What I wouldn't give to be able to sit down with four players like those 4, and be able to hear their stories and views on baseball.

Caught that last night and it was awesome!!! Just hearing those guys converse to each other and relive thier moments. Bench being the young guy, i am sure he was all giddy!! Lol. Mays aged quite a bit. Who knows how much longer he has. But i tell you what, just hearing those guys tell their stories, showing highlites, was priceless!!

I was thrilled to see those guys together on TV.
That will never happen again.
I wish Costas asked them more about their accomplishments, teammates and other players they faced but it was still a big deal to talk to those guys.
I haven't seen Koufax interviewed on TV ever.
I have only seen one interview with Mays in the last decade and I can't remember the last time I saw Aaron actually talk in depth about baseball.
All four seemed very classy and MLB should do more of this.
And on a side note, if you are going to put Bench on a list to choose the eight greatest living players, than Yogi Berra should have been a choice as well. Just saying.

(07-17-2015, 04:01 PM)snappyjoe75 Wrote: Caught that last night and it was awesome!!! Just hearing those guys converse to each other and relive thier moments. Bench being the young guy, i am sure he was all giddy!! Lol. Mays aged quite a bit. Who knows how much longer he has. But i tell you what, just hearing those guys tell their stories, showing highlites, was priceless!!
I agree, hearing those 4 talk baseball and banter back and forth was priceless. (Probably would make a good VISA commercial.) I'm not trying to be flippant here, I said in an earlier post how much I would love to sit down with 4 HOF'ers and talk baseball. I figure most everyone on the forum would agree it would be priceless to sit down with them.

I love seeing all 4, but especially Mays, Aaron, & Koufax. Nothing against Bench, he was an awesome catcher (and I'm a Thurman Munson fan). It's just that Aaron, Mays and Koufax all came up in the 50's and I was born in 1953, so I got to see them a lot on TV on the old Game of The Week and of course the All Star Games then and the world series of course, so I especially like to hear their stories.
(07-17-2015, 04:11 PM)natejeffries Wrote: I was thrilled to see those guys together on TV.
That will never happen again.
I wish Costas asked them more about their accomplishments, teammates and other players they faced but it was still a big deal to talk to those guys.
I haven't seen Koufax interviewed on TV ever.
I have only seen one interview with Mays in the last decade and I can't remember the last time I saw Aaron actually talk in depth about baseball.
All four seemed very classy and MLB should do more of this.
And on a side note, if you are going to put Bench on a list to choose the eight greatest living players, than Yogi Berra should have been a choice as well. Just saying.
I agree wholeheartedly, I wish MLB would do more of this type of show. I agree with Berra (I'm a Yankee fan) but possibly he was voted in because I do believe (and this is heresy if you're a Yankee fan) Bench was the better defensive catcher. Offensively, I think they're comparable. Maybe I should go get my old (1992 I think) Baseball Encyclopedia and check out their comparative stats.

Again it sure would be nice to see more of this type of show. Maybe MLB Network could help do this.

My problem was they didn't even make Yogi a choice but it was still a great interview.

I think the best story was Willie Mays talking about Marichal and Spahn pitching a 16 inning game.
The 27-year-old Marichal told Mays to end the game in the 15th inning because he was getting tired.
Mays said that guy Spahn is in his 40's!