`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Should I submit my PSA 10 MacKinnon RC/Auto to BGS?

Should I submit my PSA 10 MacKinnon RC/Auto to BGS?
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and was just looking for some advice. I was a big time card collector a while back and have recently come back to the hobby. I'm a huge fan of the Avalanche and Nathan MacKinnon and have recently picked up a couple of his rookie cards. One of them is a BGS 9.5 National Treasures Auto/Patch. The second one is a The Cup Auto/Patch with a PSA 10 grade.

Honestly, I hope to hold on to these cards for a while but could also see the need to sell these at some point down the road. I'm not a fan of the PSA cases, and I don't like that they don't come with sleeves inside to protect the card from bouncing around. I haven't even received the card yet (just bought it yesterday) and I'm already concerned about it getting dinged up in shipping.

So, I'm thinking of sending it in the BGS with a minimum grade requirement of 9.5. It would only be cracked if the 9.5 or 10 grade is achieved, otherwise, it would be returned to me. This is a valuable card, so shipping/insurance is going to be expensive. I'd like to ask a few questions and get your opinions, if that's okay.

1. Is this a stupid idea? As I said, my main motivation is that I just like the BGS cases and grading scale much better, and I feel like it provides better long-term protection for the card.

2. This card is currently the only PSA 10 out there, and there is only one BGS 9.5, if that matters. Should that play into my decision making?

3. Based on the scans (which I've included below), the centering on the front of the card looks slightly off to my naked/untrained eye. Would that automatically preclude me from receiving a BGS 10 rating?

4. I know this varies wildly from one card to another, but in the resale market for this particular card, do you feel that a PSA 10 would sell better than a BGS 9.5 down the road?

5. Anything else I should consider based on the scans below?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Should I submit my PSA 10 MacKinnon RC/Auto to BGS?
For me, personally, I would not want to risk any damage to the card by shipping it again to BGS. PSA 10 is a phenomenal grade. I also would not want to risk any potential damage to the card during BGS grading (it's been known to happen).

I would be extremely proud of the card you have (or will receive soon) and it's current grade.

Also, I think I read somewhere that PSA 10 is considered more valuable than a BGS 9.5.

I would leave a PSA 10 don't take the chance of damage happening .
Looking for Tyler Johnson ,Andrei Vasilveskiy, Maurice Stovall, Bolts Cup Rc's

PSA and BGS are all a matter of preference. Some says it's easier to get higher grades with one than the other. I just stay consistent within my own collection for comparison because I do not consider them equal.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I would leave it alone....