`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Gold - My thoughts

Black Gold - My thoughts
I know this is going to be a limited sample size to use to base my opinions on for this product, but I'll try to be objective about it Smile

Anyhow, I saw the Jordy Nelson Black Gold auto in Panini's preview of the set on their blog. I REALLY like it. First thing out of my mouth was: "I will own one!". As of yesterday, I have one in hand Smile

First, the front of the card is a really cool design. Sort of acrylic, with the numbers stamped on it, and it's really thick. The auto is on a black construction paper, which gives the gold in the auto a really neat texture. And, since the auto is recessed into the card, it gives the card a cool 3D effect.

So, overall I'm happy I bought it! But, a few negatives to go with the positives:

The back is paper, and black paper at that. And not only that, but it already looks like it's prone to flaking. Why in the world would you use the really cool acrylic front and then put chinsy paper on the back?

The gold around the edges of the auto looks precariously fragile. They must have used that really cheap stuff that they've used on everything else. It appears that the gold around Jordy's auto in this picture has some marks on it from being in the pack (it looks more like that then anything the seller could have done to it).

The picture on the front, when you look at it for more than a few seconds appears to be out of focus and washed out. Not sure if that's because of the fact they used that acrylic on the front, or if they just used a terrible picture for it. Also not sure if this is only Jordy's picture that had this problem, or if all of the cards are like it.

Now, this isn't addressing the fact they used a lot of sticker autos in this product, nor the fact that they can't seem to get the logo stickers centered on the gold pieces in that sub set, or any other gripe that you may have heard about the set. This Nelson will be the only one I have, unless of course I end up trading for another Packer player for one....

RE: Black Gold - My thoughts
I wound up on a few box breaks and nabbed two base Walter Payton cards /99 and a Payton team logo /149. I agree the fronts are amazing. The base cards alone are nicely designed and have a cool pop up with the player printed on the acetate above the background. The cards are crazy thick which is box good and bad. Gives it more of a quality feel but at the expense of being tougher to display in a 3-ring binder. The back I agree with, prone to chipping and not as well done.

The team logo card is interesting to me. Same manufacturing process but this has an embedded piece of metallic looking material in the shape of the team's logo. For some teams like the Bears or Chargers it can kinda be lame but for the Steelers or Texans it's pretty cool. The logo I have doesn't appear to be flush and the acetate is completely covering it so I couldn't push it in.

Overall interesting product but not working breaking. Pick up singles at your leisure and leave the gambling to others.

RE: Black Gold - My thoughts
Most high end stuff seems to be like this nowadays... there are always issues, whether soft edges, sticker autos, redemptions, or players that never even made the practice squad! I realize, not every box is going to have a Rodgers or Manning, but if someone is spending hundreds of dollars on a product, it should be durable, and in hand (no redemptions). I haven't bought any Black Gold stuff yet, but just my opinion in general, not that it matters :p lol