`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cubs Convention

Cubs Convention
I've always been curious about the Cubs Convention and finally took the plunge this year. It was largely what I expected - tons of people everywhere and long autograph lines. I didn't go in thinking I would try for a lot of autographs since I am just not into standing in lines for hours, and because Junior Lake was not listed in the program as appearing and I mainly wanted his auto on his game used bat. So I figured I'd just go see some seminars, browse the vendors, and talk baseball with fellow Cubs fans.

The Cubs give out pull-tabs for the larger autograph names, like Rizzo, Castro, Lester, Maddon, etc. One pull tab per person, with a lot of people getting $5 off in the Cubs store. I was lucky enough to pull Rizzo. Since I have a ton of Rizzo autographs already, I thought it would be much cooler to get the new manager. I put it up on the Twitters and bing bang boom I traded my Rizzo voucher for Maddon. Here are the results:

[Image: IMG_20150117_1529541.jpg]

The ball on the left is Maddon, the right is Jason Hammel that I got from Cubs Charities as a "mystery ball"

[Image: 20150119_140439.jpg]

The vendors didn't have a ton of stuff of interest for me, but I did pick up a 2012 Tennessee Smokies team set for the Lake card. I also got 2 Rizzo base cards from Rizzo's father. He gave them out to all the losers from the Rizzo Foundation raffle. Super nice guy - he said they were from his personal stash.

[Image: 20150119_140503.jpg]

While I was wandering around, I noticed something awesome. Henry Blanco had been replaced by Junior Lake on one of the autograph stages! How convenient that I brought the bat just in case he showed up. I ran up to my room to grab the bat and then got in the line.

[Image: 20150117_162445-1.jpg]

[Image: 20150117_163236.jpg]

All in all it was a great weekend. I'll definitely go back. There were a bunch of players signing in the season ticket holder lounge like Bill Madlock, Milt Pappas, and Chris Coghlan that had almost no line, but I didn't have much for them to sign so I'll be better prepared next year. I appreciate the players taking the time for all the signings and panel discussions, especially since they are mobbed everywhere they go all weekend. I can't even manage being Kris Bryant trying to go to dinner. I must say Maddon sure has a way with people, his panel Q&A was awesome. I am really looking forward to this season.

2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

RE: Cubs Convention
What a a deal! Must a have been nice just to be around all that and the excitement for the new year. Way to go and to try something new!!
Mostly football and a set builder

Congrats on the auto! Talk about luck. Nice pick ups.

Good times coming to Chicago this year! Chi Sox look very improved as well!

Looking for all cards from these guys I don't have!
[Image: tPSNwfV.png]

A man prepared is well rewarded! Congrats on your sigs and sharing an awesome experience. When is the Cubs fan cruise, maybe that will be your next adventure. Did you get your same seats? Again congrats and enjoy!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Congratulations on a very cool experience. Those are the events you will never forget.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Congrats on the bonus auto. Awesome that he ended up going to the convention. I saw Lake play the Dbacks here in AZ when he first got called up and was on fire. That was fun to watch. I would like the Cubs to give him another shot, or worst case, at least trade him to a team that will let him try and play everyday. I think he is better than people think.

Hoping to get some autos when the Cubs come out here to AZ for spring training! I am really excited finally be able to watch some baseball, though. One of these days I need to head back to Chi and go to the Cubs Convention.

(01-19-2015, 07:15 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: A man prepared is well rewarded! Congrats on your sigs and sharing an awesome experience. When is the Cubs fan cruise, maybe that will be your next adventure. Did you get your same seats? Again congrats and enjoy!
I have never heard of a fan cruise! I did not know such a thing existed but I'll definitely look into one.

My seats are the same for next year. Due to all the construction at Wrigley they aren't doing in-person seat selection for a few years, and the website has general views from the sections. If you've ever been to the 200 level at Wrigley you know there are posts everywhere that can get in the way of your view so I didn't want to risk it unless there was something in front of the posts, which there wasn't. I like my seats well enough anyways.

(01-20-2015, 04:47 PM)ryno8669 Wrote: Congrats on the bonus auto. Awesome that he ended up going to the convention. I saw Lake play the Dbacks here in AZ when he first got called up and was on fire. That was fun to watch. I would like the Cubs to give him another shot, or worst case, at least trade him to a team that will let him try and play everyday. I think he is better than people think.

Hoping to get some autos when the Cubs come out here to AZ for spring training! I am really excited finally be able to watch some baseball, though. One of these days I need to head back to Chi and go yto the Cubs Convention.
This year looks like make or break for Junior with all the prospects waiting in the wings. Apparently he has made some changes this off season and was taking a lot of walks in winter ball. I really hope he succeeds as I love watching his joy and exuberance when playing well.

Enjoy spring training! I'm jealous - that is definitely next on my list of baseball field trips. Since the devastating Packers loss I'm officially in baseball season so the days can't tick away fast enough.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331