`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2015 Survey on the Hobby

2015 Survey on the Hobby
1)How many products per manufacture is too much?

2)How many autos should be in a product?

3)How many autos of a player is too much in a product?

4)Would you prefer rookie cards without the "event worn" patch?

5)Do you believe in all rookie or all veteran products?

6)Would you buy a product without an auto if it was a limited product?

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces?

8)How many parallels of a card is too much?

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo?

10)How much faith do you have in how authentic the memorabilia is in a card?

RE: 2015 Survey on the Hobby
I only buy a couple brands per year, so if there is overproduction it's wasted on me.

It depends on the price point for me. As an example, I'd like to see 2 autos in Topps Chrome for the same price with one auto guaranteed being a rookie from rounds 1-3.

When the autograph of a player is just their initials or one letter with a little wavy line, it's too much.

No real preference here but as a set collector who puts them into binders, I wouldn't want super thick patches in what Beckett considers rookie cards. Parallels and inserts it's fine.

No, needs a mix of both. I do believe in products that feature players that don't often get cards.

Yes

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces?
The highest bidder of player memorabilia gets to do whatever they wish with it. If it's important enough hopefully the respective sports hall of fame purchases it. Otherwise it may be the only time a regular collector gets to own a piece of history.

Since Topps Tek was one of my favorite sets back in the day, I say bring on the parallels! But give us a little more than just a different color border. Use a different picture for the rarer parallels. Maybe away jerseys are more plentiful and home jerseys rarer. Or a specific parallel is just training camp shots or for rookies a specific parallel is combine shots.

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo?
Both have their place. See my above answer to mix it up.

I assume all "event worn" relics come from events like this:

Which reminds me of this:

1) I think it would be cool to see Panini, Topps, and Upper Deck each have a few releases. Say, 5 per company. Have one low end, 4 mid range, and 1 high end product. Less saturation, more competition and innovation between companies.
2) Depends on the price of the product. The hobby is saturated with autos, many end up worthless. So, say 1 high end auto, veteran or Rookie, and then draft picks round 4-7 and low end vet autos, 2, for a total of 3 autos for low end. Midrange, no crap autos, and better balance between Rookie and Veteran autos. High end stuff should be focused on high draft picks, and star veteran players.
3) 1 set of autos per player per product. Go with parallels from there.
4) Rookie even worn patches are worthless
5) Should be a mix, but a more even mix, of vets and rookies. The hobby is driven (and priced) too much on a bunch of guys who have never played in the NFL.
6) Only singles
7) They should be continued to be put in cards
8) Parallels should be limited to 10, including the super. Each product should have their own picture of live, in action photos, not combine shots, or like Topps, the same picture in Topps and Topps Chrome. Make em different!
9) Everything should be live, in game action, unless a player has a signature celebration, then that'd be fine too. Ray Lewis' intro, Clay Matthews whatever it is, Cruz's Salsa dance, I would say are ok...otherwise I want in-game shots.
10) Since Panini's release of Flawless with all the fake memorabilia and fake diamonds, about 1 out of a scale of 10.

(01-01-2015, 10:06 AM)durfeecoach1 Wrote: 1)How many products per manufacture is too much?

i'd say about 3 or 4. One mainstream, one or two mid level, and 1 high end seems sufficient to me. More than that and you have a whole lot of repetition. I'd be willing to allow more if there would be more creativity shown by card manufacturers but as of now, that seems sufficient.

For hobby boxes (licensed products) - low end (under $100) - 2

Mid level ($100-150)- 4

High end ($150+)- 6 or more.

For blasters - I'm fine with $20 blasters not having a guaranteed auto, but ideally there should be a realistic chance for one. If more than $20, there should be a guaranteed auto.

For unlicensed products (SAGE and Press Pass)

Hobby - all boxes at any price level should have 5 or more autos.

Blasters should be as they currently are - Press Pass having on card autos with one per blaster and Sage having 2 or 3 per blaster.

I have some autos numbered /999 - that is a number that should never be exceeded.

Yes, the event worn patches are pretty useless.

All rookie products are fine for the unlicensed products - although I would love to see Press Pass Legends come back - for licensed products, I believe that there should be a mix between rookies and veterans and I would like to see fewer rookie and more veteran autographs. I would also like to see more cards for offensive linesmen, kickers, defensive players, punters, etc. Why load products with tons of players who never even play in an NFL game - especially for the autos. Wouldn't football fans rather have an auto from a guy who has played 6 years for their favorite team's offensive line than an unsigned free agent who is a long shot to make a roster?

Probably not.

Saved as whole pieces - I may well allow for cases where vintage jersies have reached a state where they are in such bad shape - but its a travesty to cut up vintage jersies that are in good condition.

For new things, it would be much better if they were released to the collectors market whole - think of how much cooler it would be to get a "game worn" NFL jersey even from a lesser player versus a tiny bit of a star's jersey. Think of how cool it would be to open a product and get a redemption for a game used autographed jersey - even if the player is just a special teams guy, it would be awesome to have.

I'd say that once the number of different versions passes 5, its pretty riduculous. Actually even 5 versions of 1 card is pretty riduculous. But base, high numbered parallel (501 or more), lower numbered parallel (101-500), low numbered parallel (100 or less), and 1/1 seems okay to me so I will allow 5 version.

I prefer products to have action photos - but practice action is okay. Actually, I kind of like some of the posed photos as well - remember the old Pro Line or Pro set or whatever where they'd have cards showing players reading books or playing the saxophone or something? Those were pretty cool cards. If you are going to have posed photos, why not let players show some personality?

Very low - I mean, I am sure that they memorabilia is an authenic piece of cloth - but I am not sure of anything else about it. I have much more faith that the RPS stuff is "real" but what does "real" really mean when it is a jersey produced for the sole purpose that the player puts it on for 5 minutes and maybe takes a photo or two and then it becomes "player worn"

my 2 cents

1)How many products per manufacture is too much? I think that more than 5 or 6 total (much like what everybody else said with the mid, high and low range) would be more than enough. Why have Rookies and stars, R&S Longevity, Score, Score Hot Rookies, and Prestige? All low end, all worth practically nothing except the big hits. Wouldn't it make more money for the cheap stuff if you just make 1 or 2 sets? Actually, scratch that, if it made more money that way, that's the way they'd do it....

2)How many autos should be in a product? This one I'm a little less of a stickler on, depending on the product. Contenders is really cool because it has a lot of autos of players who are decent players but who didn't have autos in other products, plus all of the other ones that you would normally see. But, like with Bowman, why put in 50 autos of guys who didn't survive the first cut?

3)How many autos of a player is too much in a product? Enough that if you want one of that player, it shouldn't be too horribly difficult to find one. Now, that's not to say that it won't be expensive, just that as long as you aren't talking about the higher end players, it is nice to be able to get ones that you actually want.

4)Would you prefer rookie cards without the "event worn" patch? I like them both. Rookie cards without them is how the base rookie card should be, and the patch cards give it some variety and usually have a cool look to them

5)Do you believe in all rookie or all veteran products? Well, Turkey Red is kind of nice because it's only rookies, and Prizm and Topps/Chrome is cool because it has both, but unless it's a high end product that has some really good autos, a veteran only product kind of takes away from the fun of collecting that product. Maybe have one where veterans are showcased but there are still base rookies? That would be kind of fun, I think.

6)Would you buy a product without an auto if it was a limited product? Probably. Would depend on design and rarity.

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces? the more rare stuff, sure. normal weekly game used stuff? I don't see why keep them whole. I mean, if Aaron Rodgers has 16 normal jerseys during the regular season and 3 of them get chopped up for jersey cards a year? That means that 13 more are still whole or in collector's hands, etc. Now, the 2010 Super Bowl Jersey? That would be a travesty to know that was chopped up for jersey cards!

8)How many parallels of a card is too much? I think this depends on the product and what other products are out for a particular year. Chrome is awesome in part because of the parallels. Prizm was a nice change to that in that until this year, the number of parallels was kept to a minimum. By this time last year after Prizm had come out I already had most of the non 1/1 rainbow. I still haven't seen some of the less rare colors yet for this years, and they aren't even supposed to be that rare!

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo? Depends on the design of the card, really. Some work well as the cutout, but some just look dumb because they are. Of course, some are action shots and look terrible, too, so it really goes both ways...

10)How much faith do you have in how authentic the memorabilia is in a card? Not a lot, but I don't specifically go out of my way to collect them, either. If I get them, cool, if not, well I'm not upset about it. They are typically less sought after, which makes them worth less, and rightfully so. I've always felt that if they help the design of the card, then they are a worthwhile addition to it, whether they are authentic or not. But, the value shouldn't be outrageous for them no matter the player if the authenticity isn't there, either. As long as the company is very specific that it isn't a game used piece of memorabilia I don't have any issues with them. Now, I also don't think they should count as hits unless there is an auto on them, either.

[quote='durfeecoach1' pid='2515854' dateline='1420124772']
I'd like to see three manufactures with NFL licenses, Upper Deck, Topps and Pannini. I would like three releases from each company each season during football season for a total of 9. A collectors friendly one, a midrange and a high end. No football releases during the summer so I collectors can get caught up.
I love autos so the more the merrier if they are great players. Too often I am pulling practice squad players or players that will be out of the league in a few months. I wish the card companied would do boxes with guaranteed team hits and list what team on the box, like Cowboys, Packers etc. That way you could just buy your favorite team and you would know all the hits you could keep for your collection.
To me just do one version of that player in a product not 20 different levels.
Yes I would. An event worn patch means nothing to me.
I would love to see Upper Deck get their NFL license back and start producing NFL legends sets again. I would love a set with just Hall of Famers and retired greats/fan favorites.
Well I am sure most of us on here got started collecting back when there were no autographs so I think if you design the cards well enough with great action photos it would do well. I miss how Pro Set would do Super Bowl cards, Super Bowl MVP cards and League leaders. Bring those back.
Save as whole pieces. I think its a travesty to cut up a Jim Thorpe jersey or a Babe Ruth bat. I would be personally fine without memorbilia in cards. Why not bring back hologram cards? I loved the Lombardi Hologram card and the Upper Deck Holograms.
I have a love hate with parallels. Overall they are stupid. If you have the card why do you need it with an orange border? They do make collecting more of a challenge. I think 4 to 5 levels is enough. Also make it obvious its a parallel. I shouldnt have to examinite real close to tell.

Very important. The NFL is an action game. That's what I loved about Pro Set as a kid. Great action shots. I miss Upper Deck as well.
I have zero faith. If I buy a mem card I buy it because I like the overall look to the card and the mem adds to it wether its real or not. Also it has to be a low price.