`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best penny sleeves

best penny sleeves
who makes the better penny sleeves bcw or ultra pro if you are putting them in binders in the 9 pocket sheets?

RE: best penny sleeves
Are you trying to put them in penny sleeves, then put them into a 9 card page?

yes, I am doing both for storage and protection

Can you fit a card in with a penny sleeve on it? I haven't used binders for anything in 20 years, but I've never heard of that.
If the pages are anything like they used to be, your going to kill your cards.

you can but some of the penny sleeves tend to wrinkle I guess you would call it and not be tight to the card, im trying to see if there are any from either company that seem to work better

(12-28-2014, 03:04 PM)frozenace3356 Wrote: you can but some of the penny sleeves tend to wrinkle I guess you would call it and not be tight to the card, im trying to see if there are any from either company that seem to work better
I just tested two different kinds of penny sleeves in my 9 card binder sheet. I don't have any of the BCW, but I have two different kinds of Ultra Pro. (I used a 2014 Bowman card to test it, in case your card is the same size.

One is the "Ultra Pro Card Sleeves" that you can get in 100 qty packs at Walmart. On the package it says the measurement is 2 5/8" x 3 5/8" and is supposed to hold "standard sized cards". Personally, I wouldn't use these in combination with the 9 card binder sheet. I couldn't get the card/sleeve to slide down into the slot. I could have forced it down, but it would have binded (or wrinkled) up on the sides and either stopped it from going all the way down. Even if I did get it all the way down without any damage to the card, I figure it would look like crap.

The other worked out pretty nicely, though. It was the "Ultra Pro Premium Card Sleeves", and I picked these up at a card/hobby shop in Austin. Supposedly, they provide better protection.

Even without the binder sheets, I prefer these because they seem to "fit" the card more. I didn't have any kind of issue sliding it into the 9 card binder sheet. I'm sure if I was in a rush and wasn't too careful, it could have been bad. But it slid in pretty easily, and didn't bind or wrinkle up at all on the sides. Even though I didn't push hard once it reached the bottom, the top of the sleeve didn't stick out of the binder sheet slot.

Looked really nice. Was really surprised. I don't know anything about that other brand you mentioned though.

(12-28-2014, 04:30 PM)StedmanRecon Wrote: I just tested two different kinds of penny sleeves in my 9 card binder sheet. I don't have any of the BCW, but I have two different kinds of Ultra Pro. (I used a 2014 Bowman card to test it, in case your card is the same size.

One is the "Ultra Pro Card Sleeves" that you can get in 100 qty packs at Walmart. On the package it says the measurement is 2 5/8" x 3 5/8" and is supposed to hold "standard sized cards". Personally, I wouldn't use these in combination with the 9 card binder sheet. I couldn't get the card/sleeve to slide down into the slot. I could have forced it down, but it would have binded (or wrinkled) up on the sides and either stopped it from going all the way down. Even if I did get it all the way down without any damage to the card, I figure it would look like crap.

The other worked out pretty nicely, though. It was the "Ultra Pro Premium Card Sleeves", and I picked these up at a card/hobby shop in Austin. Supposedly, they provide better protection.

Even without the binder sheets, I prefer these because they seem to "fit" the card more. I didn't have any kind of issue sliding it into the 9 card binder sheet. I'm sure if I was in a rush and wasn't too careful, it could have been bad. But it slid in pretty easily, and didn't bind or wrinkle up at all on the sides. Even though I didn't push hard once it reached the bottom, the top of the sleeve didn't stick out of the binder sheet slot.

Looked really nice. Was really surprised. I don't know anything about that other brand you mentioned though.
Thank you, ill have to see if I can find the 2nd option penny sleeves you mentioned as there are no hobby shops near me online only

I'd still be careful. I just tried another couple of sheets (from the second product I mentioned) and a couple of different card. Got a bit of mixed results. One or two of them I had to jimmy a bit to get into the slot, but still fit. I'm betting that since they mass produce those things, not every single one of the sleeves (or even the binder sheets for that matter) will be exactly the same size.

I use ultra pro and they fit perfectly in my binders
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(12-28-2014, 11:22 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: I use ultra pro and they fit perfectly in my binders
you havent had any issues with the sheets? I find that sometimes the penny sleeve doesnt fit right and has like a wave to it