`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointing, but fun Christmas break. Would've been cool in 2008

Disappointing, but fun Christmas break. Would've been cool in 2008
I sent out a Christmas Wish List to my family that was made up of Black Friday offers from BO. They came through, but the breaks were just sad and I pulled the dreaded expired redemption. It was pretty funny that they all ended up ordering boxes from 2008. I thought I was nice this year, but I guess Santa disagreed. Maybe I was naughty in 2008? Sorry for the pics- they are from my phone.

2008 Razor from my brother. I was excited for the 10 autos, but I haven't even heard of most of these guys:
[Image: CDA58DC9-E63B-43AE-883E-F1795AE124D5_zpssvxvfds5.jpg]
Forsythe /1499, Hunter /1499, Berger /699, Grossman /1499, Haley /1499, Jefferies /1199, Bleich "Exclusive Signature", Holt /1499, Perry /199, Dykstra /1199 and Espinsoa black /200.

2008 TriStar from my parents. I really hoped for the Posey auto, but luck was not on my side:
[Image: 6297A8C1-095E-4705-A19C-A0F9405C6558_zps5dvf06gr.jpg]
Autos: Chisenhall, Shaw, Collier, and Charlie Blackmon
Game Used: Daniel Schlereth

2008 Bowman Chrome also from my parents. This was the lamest box of them all:
[Image: 6c417b64-044d-496b-b656-8104ac04d23b_zps3c2f93cc.jpg]
Auto: Danny Lehmann
Blue /150: Rich Hill
Refractors: Bedard, Posada, Maine, Ethier, Maholm, and Buck

2008 Topps Chrome from my sister. This was probably the best box, because I finally pulled some PC items. It had several Mantles, included one /400. The dreaded expired redemption was brutal especially since it was a halfway decent one:
[Image: D41BA3A5-7748-42FD-B65E-B4A5E15404D0_zpsfii4qfjx.jpg]
Auto: Ohlendorf and Buchholz (expired 4 years ago)
Copper /599: Berkman and Hunter
Heritage Chrome /1959: Hawpe, Hu, Hardy and Andruw
Heritage Chrome /559: Aaron Harang
Trading Card History /400: Mantle
Refractors: Varitek, Ordonez, Melky, Bradley, Cano, Loney, Pedroia, and Okajima

Even though I pulled a whole lot of nothing, it was a fun break anyway. For the price, I can't be surprised or too bummed. I may need to buy myself a Christmas present to make up for it, though. :p

RE: Disappointing, but fun Christmas break. Would've been cool in 2008
Nice breaks! What is the Blackmon numbered to?
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

Dale, I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't even noticed that it was! It's the Gold /25.

Christie, so glad you pulled it! I would love to make another trade for it!

(12-26-2014, 09:37 PM)Christiem Wrote: Dale, I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't even noticed that it was! It's the Gold /25.
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

(12-26-2014, 09:37 PM)Christiem Wrote: Dale, I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't even noticed that it was! It's the Gold /25.
I noticed the gold foil and was going to point that out to you. Overall not that bad. The Razor box had some name prospects from a few years ago, not sure if Forsythe, Grossman, Dykstra or Espinosa is really much of a prospect anymore but they were all good names to pull back then.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Wow! I feel your pain! I had similar experiences just recently .... If its any consolation, your TriStar box was better than my break. I bought 3 boxes and got 4 autos of Jay Austin, 4 autos of Brett Hunter and 4 autos of Xavier Avery .... Blackmon /25 would have been the best of those, too! The autos are numbered on the back ... The others are on the front. 9 hits per box for $20 ... Can't really complain.
Your Razor break was about the same as mine ... A bunch of nobodies.
I didn't do the 2008 Chrome, but I did another 2008 set where one of my hits was an expired redemption of Martin Prado ... I felt bad until the Yankees traded him, my pain vanished Smile
Losing out on a Bucholtz is much more painful ... Sorry. Sad
If it makes you feel better, last year I pulled a "hot rookie redemption" that was expired ... It was for a Matt Harvey rookie auto Sad. .. That was a sad day, and it was the only hit in that box, too.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(12-26-2014, 08:43 PM)Christiem Wrote: Even though I pulled a whole lot of nothing, it was a fun break anyway. For the price, I can't be surprised or too bummed. I may need to buy myself a Christmas present to make up for it, though. :p
Not a bad idea! Smile

(12-26-2014, 10:59 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Wow! I feel your pain! I had similar experiences just recently .... If its any consolation, your TriStar box was better than my break. I bought 3 boxes and got 4 autos of Jay Austin, 4 autos of Brett Hunter and 4 autos of Xavier Avery .... Blackmon /25 would have been the best of those, too! The autos are numbered on the back ... The others are on the front. 9 hits per box for $20 ... Can't really complain.
Your Razor break was about the same as mine ... A bunch of nobodies.
I didn't do the 2008 Chrome, but I did another 2008 set where one of my hits was an expired redemption of Martin Prado ... I felt bad until the Yankees traded him, my pain vanished Smile
Losing out on a Bucholtz is much more painful ... Sorry. Sad
If it makes you feel better, last year I pulled a "hot rookie redemption" that was expired ... It was for a Matt Harvey rookie auto Sad. .. That was a sad day, and it was the only hit in that box, too.
Ouch! The first thing I thought when I pulled it was "thank goodness it wasn't for someone great". I don't really get why there is an expiration to begin with. Where do the cards go after that date? It's just rude. As for Prado, my sister ironically bought me an autographed Prado card not realizing that he had been traded from the Braves years ago. In hind sight, the TriStar box was pretty nice. A couple of the numbered cards had a decent BV. For $20, I'd give it a shot again.
(12-26-2014, 10:51 PM)djohn Wrote: I noticed the gold foil and was going to point that out to you. Overall not that bad. The Razor box had some name prospects from a few years ago, not sure if Forsythe, Grossman, Dykstra or Espinosa is really much of a prospect anymore but they were all good names to pull back then.
LOL in 2008 that box would've been pretty sweet!
(12-27-2014, 12:40 AM)mgruber2 Wrote: Not a bad idea! Smile
I do need supplies... Maybe a trip to the LCS isn't a bad idea...