`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Reevaluation of the meaning "trading"

RE: Reevaluation of the meaning "trading"
Don't let the idiots get to you. Everyone has their idea of what is fair. For me a lot of times it's BV but that's not always the case. Back when Kaepernick exploded onto the scene and his Contenders RC booked for $15 but there were literally 50 sales in a week all in the $60-80 range, could you honestly say that card has a trade value of $15? I can't. It just depends on what you are trading for. For me, it would have to be something that I'd be willing to pay $60-80 for. But since it seems that most cards can be had for 30-40% BV, trying to figure out SV is a waste of time. Just go by book. Your example though of another trader comparing BV to SV is just ridiculous. It's probably worse than someone wanting to give you 50 $2 cards for 2 $50 cards...
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

It's simple, base continuity. This isn't a Fortune 500 company. We're trading cards and need a baseline to start from. That's what Beckett offers us.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(12-19-2014, 02:23 PM)uwash97 Wrote: Don't let the idiots get to you. Everyone has their idea of what is fair. For me a lot of times it's BV but that's not always the case. Back when Kaepernick exploded onto the scene and his Contenders RC booked for $15 but there were literally 50 sales in a week all in the $60-80 range, could you honestly say that card has a trade value of $15? I can't. It just depends on what you are trading for. For me, it would have to be something that I'd be willing to pay $60-80 for. But since it seems that most cards can be had for 30-40% BV, trying to figure out SV is a waste of time. Just go by book. Your example though of another trader comparing BV to SV is just ridiculous. It's probably worse than someone wanting to give you 50 $2 cards for 2 $50 cards...
uwash97 has it right--remain flexible, If you so rigidly stick to BV only, then you should expect unnecessary confrontation at times. My wife likes to say, "Blessed are the flexible for they will not be broken." The fact is BV is not always accurate reflection of the real value of a particular card, and in a trade you should be flexible enough to recognize that. Not everybody who is attempting to trade for SV is trying to get one over on you.

With that said, I do agree that BV should be the baseline for most trades for the simple fact that most cards take similar hits on SV, so it's usually a wash in the end. Again, uwash97's argument is correct.

As for the jerks who try to rip you off...they should get a one strike limit. The second I feel they are trying to shine me on, the trade negotiation would end and they would be blocked forever, regardless of the card in question. There should be no ground given to crooks.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

I'll partially disagree with you here. I disagree that cards we all know are seriously under valued should trade equally for cards that are spot on or over valued. That said, I don't list those types of cards for trade, I sell them on Ebay... why wouldn't you? This way if someone wants to trade it can be even up with no confusion. I think if you have a card listed for trade you should be ok with using the BV to determine a fair trade.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --