`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Boxes Question

Buying Boxes Question
Once every few years I get the itch to buy a few boxes, I'm really just a casual collector at this point. From browsing other threads I'll most likely be looking into Topps Finest or Tek, but I'm definitely open to other sets. Would like to keep the $/box under $100.

My question for you folks who are up on things is: do prices normally dip after Christmas? I figure a lot of people might be buying as gifts and I could be better off waiting until that demand subsides.

RE: Buying Boxes Question
Actually, I think prior to Christmas is probably one of the best times to buy! Websites have tons of specials, % off discounts, etc.

(12-17-2014, 09:44 AM)ajmennuti Wrote: Once every few years I get the itch to buy a few boxes, I'm really just a casual collector at this point. From browsing other threads I'll most likely be looking into Topps Finest or Tek, but I'm definitely open to other sets. Would like to keep the $/box under $100.

My question for you folks who are up on things is: do prices normally dip after Christmas? I figure a lot of people might be buying as gifts and I could be better off waiting until that demand subsides.
Thanks,
- Steve

(12-17-2014, 12:10 PM)sshissler Wrote: Actually, I think prior to Christmas is probably one of the best times to buy! Websites have tons of specials, % off discounts, etc.
+1. Agree. You can never really predict pricing movement, and we all kick ourselves from time to time for not waiting. So my thoughts are to go get whatever strikes your fancy now.

Your choices are good, considering I have no idea what you collect....LOL. So here's wishing you great luck with withever you decide on! Let us know what you get and show us the goodies........

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Thanks folks, I'll definitely report back!

So I went with 3 boxes - all 2014. Donruss Series 1, Bowman Chrome & Topps Stadium Club.

If I'd seen the Donruss in person before buying, I'd probably have skipped it. It's a nice little throwback, but the absence of team logos made the players look like they're wearing pajamas. The Diamond Kings looked like they were run through a photoshop oil paint filter instead of having real art. I found the patterned shiny inserts made the cards tougher to read more than anything else and... they smelled awful. This chemical aroma just permeated for at least an hour.

Bowman & Stadium Club though, I was a much bigger fan of and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I'll scan all the hits when I have time after the holidays.

I wish I would have seen your original post before today. I would have told you to skip on the Donruss as well. I used to like the heck out of Donruss when I was a kid (90's), and when I got back into collecting over the last year or so, I was excited to see that Donruss was back.

I bought one pack and was remorseful about it. I really don't know how people like the cards that don't have the team logos on them. Maybe one day they will get back on board with MLB, but as for now, I would not recommend them to anyone.

Personally, I like the crap out of Bowman Platinum and Allen & Ginter. Both are right around that $100 range (plus or minus a little). I bought Topps and a few other things when I started up again in 2013, but now I just focus on Bowman Platinum.

We live and we learn. Oh well, I've spent more on worse.

Will definitely look at A&G and Platinum.