`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Sunday Morning Rant

My Sunday Morning Rant
What will it take to get Topps to stop their buyback inserts/box topper program?
What a utter waste of time, IMO. I'm sure I complained about this before, but I was just trying to organize a little and found my little worthless stash of garbage. Speaking from my 'buyback' experience, these cards are in horrible condition, have rounded corners, and are of uneventful ball players. I could understand if they were pristine mint vault copies of cards that have never seen the light of day, but they're far from that. I can understand if they were all cards of HOF players in lesser condition, but they aren't even mid level players. I can understand in they were cool cards from the early 50s and they're in fair condition, But 1969 - 1973 cards with a little gold or silver re-stamped 'buyback' designated card doesn't really cut it. It's like that old cliche joke about 'lipstick on a pig' come to life. These are cards that I could find almost anywhere, in MUCH better condition, for less that a buck or two (at most). Is that stamp suppose to get me all excited? Really! Who the heck are they 'buying them back' from? A landfill? A garbage recycling plant? The worst card dealer in the worst flea market ever? My old bicycle spokes?
C'mon Topps! All things considered, just try a little harder or just discontinue that waste of time program.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: My Sunday Morning Rant
Amen! I agree with this 100%. I have never pulled a player remotely worth keeping or even listing for trade.
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

Never bought a box.

Never had that issue.

I agree though if someone spends a considerable amount of money on an entire box, there should be some comparable reward.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I agree with your thoughts DrM, but there is no premium on the box because of these "Buybacks" that I can figure out. Are they something I chase, no, but they are pretty fun pulls when opening Archives or Heritage and end up being stuff I'll throw into a trade as extras for team collectors. One of those no harm no foul items.

They should however spend a couple of bucks or raid thier inventory for pristine star cards and throw them in once in a while. Again, I don't think the box price comes down if they are excluded, but I understand where you are coming from......
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(10-05-2014, 07:54 AM)zeprock Wrote: Never bought a box.
Never had that issue.
I agree though if someone spends a considerable amount of money on an entire box, there should be some comparable reward.
I'm not even arguing about the value ... I'm saying just do away with it.

Put in an extra new card or any other new insert instead of recycling someone else's garbage by stamping it and tossing it to us.
Now, if they want to put in something better, by all means, I won't complain.
Heck, some of the board members have posted picture of old used written upon checklists that were included as buybacks. Toss them out Topps, throw them out yourself and don't do us any favors sending us moldy-oldies that you 'bought' for us.
Give us quality or nothing. IMHO.
(10-05-2014, 09:36 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I agree with your thoughts DrM, but there is no premium on the box because of these "Buybacks" that I can figure out. Are they something I chase, no, but they are pretty fun pulls when opening Archives or Heritage and end up being stuff I'll throw into a trade as extras for team collectors. One of those no harm no foul items.

They should however spend a couple of bucks or raid thier inventory for pristine star cards and throw them in once in a while. Again, I don't think the box price comes down if they are excluded, but I understand where you are coming from......
Correct-a-mundo, Joe.
I agree, in essence they aren't charging more for the box. But how much better if the buyback was something to chase? A signed 1969 Willie Mays buyback. A stamped limited 2011 Mike Trout RC buyback. Reissue something of inherent value and then the buyback program is worth it. Has anyone ever received a good buyback card? Great player, lesser condition? Great condition, lesser player?
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Ah....but if they do put better cards in the boxes, THEN, we will see higher prices. Higher prices with the possibility of hitting a 1972 mint condition Pedro Barbon is def something I don't want as a certified pack ripping degeneret. I agree with you on your point, but if they want to put a "Moldy Oldy" instead of a new card of the 3rd string catcher for the Phillies....I'm ok with that.

Never saw nor heard of anyone hitting a great condition card nor a great player (unless you think a 1975 Gary Nolan totally scuffed with rounded corners card fits your criteria....LOL)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Only positives I can think of those types of things is that it gives some sort of variation to a team/player collector of a card but that's about it. Personally, I think they'd be better off putting in a buyback without any kind of foil stamping. I think that foil stamp makes them look like crap.

Leaf did something similar, just bought up a bunch of early 90s Leaf cards, put a serial number on them (/1, /5, etc) and player collectors chase them down.

My question with these buybacks is what are they really?

So if they would issue a 87 topps bonds buy back, would it still be a Bonds RC card?

Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

I would rather they didn't do it all. The thought of ruining a nice Mickey Mantle, etc. with a stamp on it makes me throw up a little.
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

(10-05-2014, 12:11 PM)homerjg007 Wrote: I would rather they didn't do it all. The thought of ruining a nice Mickey Mantle, etc. with a stamp on it makes me throw up a little.
The thought of them putting any Mantle card would make me drool ... Stamp or no stamp. But to date, have they EVER put in a card of any collectibility?

Anyone ever get something good ... Something that made you say ... 'Nice!' ? (I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but even a decent condition Vada Pinson Card would make me happy ... (Decent player and his card in decent condition) .... I'll post up some of the garbage I have at home ... Nothing good.