`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Baseball

2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Baseball
I see blue border parallel versions of base cards for the 2004 Fleer Greats baseball product being sold on ebay with "unnumbered" in the description.

Did Fleer produce unnumbered variations and does the unnumbered refer to the limited quantity ?/500 or is the card number missing?

Does anyone have any experience or information that would help?

I also see "no-foil" variations for sale. Any thoughts on whether this is an actual Fleer-produced variation or an after-market non-Fleer production?

Many thanks.

RE: 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Baseball
These almost all came from the Fleer bankruptcy auction. It's been almost 10 years since that happened, but it was a real sour note for the hobby. At first people realized what the cards were but over time new people who came into the hobby and this question seems to come up quite often. Essentially Fleer, like every other card company made excess of every card in order to handle returns for damaged cards. For serial numbered cards they typically made extras without any serial number, so that when a damaged card was returned they could re-use the same serial number from the damaged card. I know this because I had a 1998 Fleer Showcase Legacy that was damaged out of the pack and I was able to get Fleer to exchange it for the same serial numbered card.
As for no-foil, some of these may be similar in the sense that they were excess inventory, but a lot of times it was just a printing flaw.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Baseball
Those are more than likely errors in the printing process. They are damaged in that they are missing the foil stamping. They are NOT company issued variations. They could easily mark "1/1" in the corner with a sharpie and call it a 1/1. I'd stay away from them.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html