`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this hobby a gamble?

RE: Is this hobby a gamble?
(08-15-2014, 10:50 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I think it just depends on what your goal is when you're buying cards. If your goal is to just buy a pack/box/case for the purpose of busting loose some cards to add to your collection or trade away, I don't think it's a gamble and it's just part of collecting and/or the hobby. If your purpose is to buy any of those things in the hopes of opening, selling, and making a profit, then you're taking a big gamble.
Hit the nail on the head with this post. Thanks ricelynnevans75. I enjoy busting wax rather it's a hobby box or value packs from Target. It feels the same as scratching a scratch off lottery ticket, might hit small might hit big but the best hit is a PC addition.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

You are either gambling that you get a card for your PC, or gambling that you get a card you can sell or trade. Unless you don't care what is in the packs and you just like opening stuff.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

(08-19-2014, 11:09 AM)hobbyboxbreaker1983 Wrote: Nope not affiliated with them just find their products To be rather unique and something that wasn’t out there when I was collecting before I stopped because I got tired of being ripped off by companies like Topps for making us pay hundres of dollars for a hobby box and getting nothing in return.
No one makes us pay anything. if you buy its because you choose to buy.
CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

(08-19-2014, 02:17 PM)shelbysaleen Wrote: No one makes us pay anything. if you buy its because you choose to buy.
I would agree to an extent.... but.... it gets old when you pay so much to the Hobby and get so little in return.. With the addition of companies like SBAY cards putting out products like Super Pack where youll get a top prospect auto and not a no name who will fizzle out the next year… Looks like Topps is starting to put more of the bigger names in their products but it wasn’t like that a few years ago.

I would consider it a hobby with gambling elements. Some people are in the hobby because they like it. Some are in it for the gamble/payoff. Then there's collectors like myself, who collect players they like but wouldn't mind a big score when they open a pack or box.

As a whole the hobby is a gamble. If you've ever bought a pack or box, you gambled. Maybe not in terms of making money, but you gambled on getting the players or cards you wanted.

So to simply answer your question: Is this hobby a gamble? They put odds on the pack for a reason! : )
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

I could care less if it is or is not a gamble. I don't expect to make any money off this hobby, and those that do probably would do better elsewhere. For me, the whole process of opening boxes and packs, sorting the cards, then looking up their book value is very appealing to me. It gives me an opportunity to feel the cards, smell them, look at the stats and pay respects to the greats of the game. I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt: Finding a big hit in a box of small packs is much more exciting than finding 10 big hits in a box of big packs. Lately, though, I have been thinking about collecting a few players. This will only be a side quest, though, for I will never get as much enjoyment out of collecting one player than I do opening wax.

For me, opening packs is the time I turn into a kid. Is pure enjoyment even if I don't do well. I try to buy products that I like. Whatever hit I get is a bonus.

I bought 4 packs of 2014 Panini Elite (NFL) today for $32 and change. I remember when that would cover a wax compared to the 20 cards I just received. It's funny, though. I have to agree that I love the thrill of opening packs like Willie Wanka and his Golden Ticket.
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!